Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What boots?

Poster: A snowHead
It's time for some new boots Very Happy
Probably goona go with one of the Salomon range but does anyone have any recomendations?
I know it's a case of trying stuff on and seeing what fits best but from your experience, what would you suggest?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends how you ride tbh.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had the same dilemma just after new year and in the end went for the Burton Moto. I'm a size 11/11.5 and got some in a UK 11.5. They fit great with two pair of ski socks but have had to put in an insole from my trainers in one foot (my smaller foot) to make sure there's no movement at the heel.

I just went to The Snowboard Asylum to try them on and then scouted the internet for the best deal. In the end I got them from Blue Tubes in Lancester (www.bluetubes.com) for £113 including next day delivery. The guy there was mega helpful and they have some good clearance deals at the moment, depending on your foot size.

I like the Moto because it has the dual lacing system where you can set the tension on the lower part of the foot and around the ankle to suit. I also liked the fact that my actual shoe size was my boot size with Burtons, instead of having to buy one size bigger.

It's worth finsing somewhere you can try different ones on though before you do buy off the web.

Good luck Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Richie, It's . . .
Decide where you ride, piste, park, pipe or powder to decide if you want an free-flexing boot that lets you move easily over the board while jibbing and tumbling or a stiffer boot that you use to put power and control into a fast moving board using the boot support to keep an edge engaged in the ice or hardpack. It's how and where do you want to ride?

But more important than that is FIT, close around the foot, especially the ankle, no tight or compression points, and enough room to wrigle your toes.

When you go to try-on, the socks you take should be THIN ones because liners do pack out with use and if you start off with fat socks after a couple of weeks use it'll feel like you're wearing buckets.
Fastly, CUT yer toenails.

Only buy off the web if you know exactly what you're getting.

edit: "tows" . . . I need more beer and some snowtime Sad

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 17-01-07 12:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, Is it possible to get a close fit around the ankle with a "Free-flexing, Dribbling(sorry) Jibbing boot?" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Wouldn't that depend on the mechanics and standard of the construction and the quality of the bootfitting?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, I mainly cruise around the pistes on a Sims FR750 (163). It's a stiff board that needs to go fairly quickly to turn. If pow is around then I'll jump into it but I don't go trekking for it......so far my only experience of the park resulted in a black eye, smashed goggles and a 3 inch gash in my right leg Very Happy
I like the look of the Salomon Dialogue but thats a freestyle boot.
Might go for the Salomon Synapse or Maori. Also I've heard good things about the Vans BFB......need to get to the shops!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, You tell me? How can a Freeflex, soft freestyle boot can be made to hold heel and ankle? Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, A good close bootfit fit around the heel and at the front of the front of the ankle over the instep will reduce heel-lift. After that it's the shape and position of the top binding (which again is partially determined by the fit of the boot. Finally there is the strength and flexibility of the rider. A fit, supple rider will be able to flex a soft boot and still keep their heels firmly on the foot bed. With good bootfitting and good bindings it's only the strength and stamina of their lower legs that determines how well and how long they can ride in hard surface conditions as they cannot use their boots to transfer as much force into the board. This is obviously also dependent on high-back position and rigidity on heelside manoeuvre's.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, Binding choice, therefore being an important factor then i guess? wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, It can be, though I've come to he thought that better technique is often more important than better kit. Though there is a cut-off point where cheap kit will harm or prevent you from attaining good technique.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, We've struggled for many years with both selection quality of Snowboard boots and our fit guarantee. The Freestyle boots beening too soft to add extra material around ankle areas for the shell to hold it against the foot. More ridgid boots, not pushing out away from the ankle, therfore holding the extra padding against the foot. This is fine for ride and piste, but freestyle less so. The range today seems much better, with boot manufactures offering stiffer boots in the problem areas. Salomon have always been good in this area, but have since started stitching liners in the shell making modifications more tricky. K2 and Rossignol seem to be doing very well in this area right now, we'll see.
Now back to Latexnurse.com. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richie, Yup, I can't recommend Salomon Dialogues highly enough. You'll have to try them and see if they're right for you but they're great if you're an all-rounder.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richie, Sorry, I got sidetracked by the rodent boogerer, I'm about to replace a pair of Salomon Synapse 'cos I've broken the back on the left one (something went 'ping' at Castleford). They've lasted very well and retained a good measure of stiffness over their four years (12 weeks) use. One caveat , they didn't stay waterproof for long.
I haven't made a decision yet as to what to replace them with but I may well wan't something with a bit more longevity . . . and easier to find replacement laces . . . I had the Devil's own job to get a new pair of rather unique thin laces.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, Funny that, we've recieved 6 pairs of those same laces this morning.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, aren't you just down the road from the factory? wink But you must agree that repair/replacement for bits of kit should be part of the decision process.
snow conditions
I went trying on boots last weekend. I have to say that I was very impressed with the Saloman F22s (Ladies BTW). I had to go for a size larger than my normal shoe size but the fit was superb. I also tried on a pair of Burtons which were awful and my foot felt lost inside. I know that you can have the liners moulded to your foot shape but the Salomans were a far superior boot in all aspects than the Burton. The Burton looked quite cheap and tacky and they were only £20 less than the Salomans.

Problem I have found with boot buying is that you never have enough variety to actually try on and compare. I went to Snow & Rock and they only had Saloman, Burton and Vans. Sail & Ski had Burton, 32s and Vans. Neither shop had a big range to try. Considering the number of manufacturers it seems a bit poor - or is it because I'm looking to buy relatively late in the season?

I think I'm going to get the Salomans (once I've sold my daughter into slavery!) the most expensive boot I tried but worth it.
ski holidays
Masque, It's part of our guarantee on all boots, Lifetime. Costs us a fortune in some cases. Buckles, straps, laces etc.
ski holidays
Specialman wrote:
I had the same dilemma just after new year and in the end went for the Burton Moto.

I got a pair of Moto's in Tahoe 2005 - it was actually cheaper to buy them than it was to rent them for the week! I have to agree, they are wicked boots. Look pretty cool too Very Happy
snow conditions
That was my thinking. If I can do a few trips this year (just had my firstr, got on in March and then one before Xmas) it's cheaper for me to buy equipment than hire it each time.
latest report
Heading to my local(ish) Snow and Rock on the way home from work to try some boots on. Knowing my luck they'll not have anything in stock wink
ski holidays
hi all

been reading this thread with interest because I always seem to have trouble with hire boots so it is time to buy some.

I am a newish boarder who stays away from the parks (enough broken bones and dodgy back from playing prop at rugby) and really enjoys piste and freeriding type boarding, and hopefully some off piste soon, so to summarise it looks like I should adopt the following

1 stiffish boots
2 try on the boots with thin socks (because the padding will comperss to foot etc. with a little use?)
3 need snug fit around ankle etc to keep the heel down when boarding
4 need room for toes, so must be able to wiggle

Does this sound right ?

cheers
latest report
Ive recently got new board boots and bindings. Ive found a good combo. My Board is an Atomic Triarc 164, my bindings are Flow NXT-FX. My feet are UK size 11 so I tried a few boots but the best I found were Burton Ruler's. Just thought I would share this Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Problem I have found with boot buying is that you never have enough variety to actually try on and compare. I went to Snow & Rock and they only had Saloman, Burton and Vans.

I went to my local Snow and Rock and there was virtually nothing there either. The selection of Snowboards was poor too. Not that I could get away with getting a board Sad

It sems that the smaller, independent places have better a better range.

rayscoops, sounds about right
snow report
doesn't anyone here use the J bars that burton supply? They hold the heel in perfectly and are removeable. Im using just one on each boot and I'm sorted.
Quote:

really enjoys piste and freeriding type boarding, and hopefully some off piste soon, so to summarise it looks like I should adopt the following

1 stiffish boots
2 try on the boots with thin socks (because the padding will comperss to foot etc. with a little use?)
3 need snug fit around ankle etc to keep the heel down when boarding
4 need room for toes, so must be able to wiggle

Does this sound right ?

pretty much but it's also what you're comfortable with, last season I went too soft and it was a pain to be honest, I'm guessing you can also go too firm. but I've never tried really firm boots as I don't need them.

The toes having room and the ankles are the biggies for me. Nothing worse than your ankles lifting all day or your toes getting cramped. If your boot fits well you also don't tend to crank the bindings so hard to make up for the sloppy fit.
snow conditions
Any opinions on the Burton Sapphire (women's boot)? My Salomons are like wellies (quite possibly bought a size too big, being a beginner and not knowing what they were supposed to feel like Embarassed ) Tried the Sapphires on today, liked the fit.
ski holidays
So, the deed is done. I opted for the Salomon Dialogues. Got them with heat molded insoles for that extra bit of comfort.
Wearing around the house they seem almost as comfy as my slippers!
latest report
i haven't read the above but.....

go to as many shops as you can, try on as many boots as you can. buy the ones that fit you the best and suit your needs the best.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
anyone know where you can locate boa binding spares bit..?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy