Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello...
Can anyone give me some advice for driving to the french alps? We sort of have a route plan and we know about the tolls and stuff. We're heading to Meribel, with a stop at Dijon. Anyone got any tips? How to avoid heavy traffic being that we're driving down on a Saturday ? (10th feb - also school holidays!!) Any help much appreciated. Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vic_ski, Best use the ForumSearch facility for a question this wide Very Happy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?mode=results

Type your question, click the 'Search all Terms' box
click on the Search box at the bottom.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was going to start by saying, not in the school holidays! But as yu are already committed, be prepared for a long (timewise) journey. If you are travelling during mainly daylight hours you are asking for delays. I also use hotels but always plan on a very early start. You'll be 4 or 5 hours from Meribel if you stay in Dijon. Hope you have booked.

This year I diverted via Dole, stayed overnight at the Ibis Dole. This meant I avoided the north and west Lyons area, and v busy peage. You end up to the east of Lyon. Also directional signs were clearer.

Get a Telepeage device. Each toll both has a reserved gate for telepeage customers. Car MUST be under 2m, steel barrier will adjust anything higher! At peak times this can save 30 mins at each peage. Been there, been held up, never again.

Road up to Meribel will be v busy at any time during that day, just hope that weather is not bad, you will need chains if it is. Dont rely on getting these locally.

Good luck, and let us know how you go on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vic_ski, if you are arriving in Meribel on the 11th, and get stuck behind a black Chrysler Voyager with a Thule top box, be patient, it might be me! I'm doing the same week, and driving down also. Have done the journey at half term for the last couple of years (although not to Meribel) and not suffered from too many hold ups. Lyons Peage can be slow, but 30 mins isn't going to kill you.

We normally stop a bit south of Dijon, leaving around 4 hours to do the next day. Always carry chains, although this year have M&S rated tyres so hope not to use them. best tip I can give is if you have kids over the age of 4 and under 75 ( wink ) get the latest Harry Potter book on audio. we were all enjoying listening so much that we sat in the car for half an hour after we arrived to hear the ending Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Vic_ski, AxsMan, at Dijon, if you take the road signed to Geneva (A39) you will miss the Lyon peage & chaos there. You then pick up the A42at Bourg-en -Bresse, signed to St Exupery. Its a much quieter road generally.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Vic_ski, don't know where you plan to hit France, but the route south from Calais is not as busy as the A6 between Paris and Lyons. I agree with geri, no need to go too near to Lyons. Another possible route is to take the Geneva signposting then head off the morway south towards Annecy/Albertville. Whichever way you go it will be a long trip. Have plenty of food and drink in the car, and warm clothes handy so that if you get stuck in a big jam you can get out and walk about a bit. Are you leaving Friday evening? Into accommodation Saturday? French apartments don't generally let you in until well into the afternoon, which can be a pain if you arrive early to avoid the crowds (one learns by experience; I once spent two hours in the rain in Meribel-Mottaret, waiting for keys, with three tired and impatient children...). Check weather reports at the last minute before leaving UK and if snow is forecast, practise putting the chains on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geri, That's the route I referred to earlier. A39 - A42. I agree, it works!

pam w, As you said, plan for delays, dont expect instant access in resort. I have experienced both, but was traveling alone. So no significant other or offspring in tow. First was, I was straight to room at 08:30 other was come back at 15:00, I dumped bags, went ski-ing came back later.

Also definately, practise the chains if snow forecast!
TTFN
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Much of it has already been said either here or in linked forums - I would strongly recommend skipping breakfast in Dijon and be on the road no later than 6am, will miss the worst of the traffic.

If you can I would drive further on the Friday and try to get to Macon - again an early start will see you comfortably in resort by lunchtime.

Would also recommend taking a cool box for the car and stocking it with sarnies - either that or stop early/late at lunchtimes. The service stations seem to get jammed between 12-1 as everyone has lunch at the same time!

Can't comment on Lyon bypass, we always go through it but always beat the jams by early travel and are past by 7.30am
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My main tip:

The earlier you get to Albertville on the Saturday morning, the better.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vic_ski, welcome to snowheads snowHead snowHead i like to drive down the day/night before your first say on the mountain and stay at a cheap hotel. If you stay within striking distance of Meribel for your first day skiing you can load up with petrol, groceries and getr up the hill early and go skiing your first proper day.

check out my site for some hard to find hotel links in Moutier under the travel page. also can downlaod directions etc. http://pleva.net/travel.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Vic_ski, Hi, I'm heading from Calais to the Swiss Alps on the same day so don't hit me on the way out of the port!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Vic_ski, welcome to snowHead We usually stop at Beaune - but want to go further this time & are about to book here;

http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/recherch/index-ca.htm

If this link only takes you to the homepage - select; bourgogne, department 71, then sennece-les-macon. (just above macon) Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy