Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some great reading on www.youcanski.com

Poster: A snowHead
Don't know if you've all seen this or not - I found it while smurfing the web for some ski info. www.youcanski.com has some great explanations and advice on "modern" skiing technique for all levels of skier. I'd like to know whay you instructor ldies and gents think of the site - is there stuff that's not explained too well, or whatever.
I did search the forum for the web address but nuffink came up.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the forum has been around for a bit. the instruction section is a bit "dated".

in describing how to make a turn the idea is put forth to make a wedge and then merely weight the outside ski by bending the outside knee.

"weighting" a ski does nothing to turn a ski. tipping it on edge, rotating, or blending those to movements create a turn. weighting, decambering, or pressuring does not.

that is vestigial instruction straight from 1959 and would pretty quickly get you in a supervisors office at a resort in colorado.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rusty Guy, Mmm, it's funny you should say that. When I was reading through Leonid Feldmand instruction pages, the first articles do seem dated. But as I read through the carving and dynamic edging pages things seemed more up-to-date. I find he is talking about tipping skis - rolling the ski from the big toe to the little toe - i.e. start tipping outside ski to initiate next turn and so on. This is the page I found particularly interesting
http://youcanski.com/en/instruction/dynamic_edging.htm - seems to make sense, and I think explains things quite well.

Have you had a chance to look at the carving and dynamic edging pages?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="Rusty Guy"]

Quote:
"weighting" a ski does nothing to turn a ski. tipping it on edge, rotating, or blending those to movements create a turn. weighting, decambering, or pressuring does not.

The steering 'Family' of 'The Fundemental Elements' is split into 3. Namely;

Pressure Control - The application of, absorbtion of & control of pressure.

Edge Control - The actions which control the degree & direction of tilting of the skis relative to the snow.

Rotation Control - The rotation of each leg/legs within the hip socket.

From 'Rusty Guy's comments i would say :

Weighting a ski is a form of pressure control.

Decambering a ski is a form of edge control.

Pressuring is obviously a form of pressure control and will be evident in all turns, however small, due to gravity.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Phil Smith refers to turning using pressure control in his excellent video "ultimate control". He advocates using it in deeper snow. He clearly describes pushing down hard on the outside ski to deform it and create a turning arc. He does show that the ski is also on edge during the weighting process. It's certainly not flat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
how can you "push down hard"? what are you pushing against in order to generate downward force?

I think what he means is using speed, angulation and unequal weighting to load up the outside ski in order to bend it into a tighter arc. In the process you lock the outside leg in order to resist and transfer the forces but you can't really "push down".

J
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jedster wrote:
how can you "push down hard"? what are you pushing against in order to generate downward force?

If you commence your turn from the 'Goalkeeper stance' i.e. ankles,knees & hip joints all slighty bent you can stretch your outside leg which will push the ski against the snow.This will form a 'platform' on which the ski will edge and turn.

Quote:
I think what he means is using speed, angulation and unequal weighting to load up the outside ski in order to bend it into a tighter arc.

By 'pushing' on the ski as described above the ski will edge and bend. The amount of 'pressure' applied will influence the amount the ski bends and hence the turn shape. The turn shape may also be influenced by increasing the amount of edge applied during the turn.

Quote:
In the process you lock the outside leg in order to resist and transfer the forces but you can't really "push down".

If you 'lock the outside leg' you will not be able to manage the forces (pressure) which builds up in the turn. You have to constantly adjust the amount of pressure applied to the ski to achieve the required turn shape.

A turn is a mixture of the steering elements i.e Rotation, Pressure & Edge.
The steering elements can be blended to produce a variety of different turns. Every type of turn may be analysed and described in terms of a combination of the steering elements.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster wrote:

I think what he means is using speed, angulation and unequal weighting to load up the outside ski in order to bend it into a tighter arc. In the process you lock the outside leg in order to resist and transfer the forces but you can't really "push down".

J

A combination of your mass, inertia and acceleration is all that's required to generate the downward force. But the point was that the pressure on the ski bends it into an arc and steers.

Edit: In his static demo, Phil Smith actually uses one of his mates to push against (they lean against each other shoulder to shoulder and try to push each other over, bracing themselves with their outside leg)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Leonid Feldman leans against a wall.
The whole concept seems quite straightforward - it's balancing forces, and the faster you turn then the more pressure is going to be forced onto the skis. When I ride my offroad motorcycle in the standing position and am going around corners, most of the steering is done with my body and legs - basically leaning into the turn with most pressure on the outside foot, then when changing direction the balance of pressure on feet goes through 50/50 and then the other way. It's the easiest way to steer at speed over rough ground where handlebars are useless!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward wrote:

By 'pushing' on the ski as described above the ski will edge and bend. The amount of 'pressure' applied will influence the amount the ski bends and hence the turn shape. The turn shape may also be influenced by increasing the amount of edge applied during the turn.

i respectfully disagree.

pushing on the ski will simply...........push on the ski.

pushing on a ski will not edge it or necessarily bend it. trying to bend a ski to shape a turn is tantamount to whipping out an abacus to balance a checkbook.

skis bend as a RESULT of being tipped on edge.

actively attempting to "pressure" or bend a ski to influence turn shape is ski teaching that is vestigial at best.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rusty Guy,
Quote:

actively attempting to "pressure" or bend a ski to influence turn shape is ski teaching that is vestigial at best

Surely they bend as a result of being tipped on edge AND having pressure applied? Tipping a ski on edge alone won't bend it. It's bent by pushing against the ski to move the body inside the turn, and the faster the turn the higher the forces pushing on the ski - n'est ce pas? I'm no teacher (you've only got to ask my wife and kids!) but I did do physics and do lots of mechanical type stuff and am certain both tipping and pressure are required to bend the ski into a curve.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rusty Guy,

Hold a ski horiziontally in your hands in front of your face. Tip it towards you, does in bend ? NO

Put the ski on the floor,insert your boot/foot into the binding. Tip it towards you, does it bend ? YES Due to forces applied (i.e pressure) from your body mass, gravity & when you are moving centrifugal forces. I am no physicist but this is pretty basic stuff it could even be described as 'vestigal'.

Sorry must go to work. I am doing race training this morning. If the ski does not bend going round the turn there will not be much of the edge in contact with the snow (Imagine a piece of rigid steel). The ski is bending because i have put it on its edge and as it goes round the turn the 'forces' will bend it. Not just because i have put it on its edge.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rusty Guy wrote:

pushing on a ski will not edge it or necessarily bend it. trying to bend a ski to shape a turn is tantamount to whipping out an abacus to balance a checkbook.

actively attempting to "pressure" or bend a ski to influence turn shape is ski teaching that is vestigial at best.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that pressure control should be used as the only, or even primary, method of steering. It's just one of the steering elements, along with rolling on edge and simple twisting.

Actively applying pressure to the outside ski while it's on edge undoubtedly bends the ski into a tighter radius and therefore tighter turning arc. It seems to work quite well turning in crud for example, where the other steering elements are less effective.

I'm no expert on this, but I am a professional engineer and the physics at least does makes sense.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"lock" wasn't the right word - clearly you vary the tension in the leg to adjust to the forces applied by the forces generated by the turn (but in a tight high speed turn your leg has to be prety firm!)

my point was that unless you have something to push against (like the other person in Phil's demo!) you can't actually push down - you are pushed down by the forces in the turn but the forces are not generated by your muscles!

J
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jedster, I know what you're getting at, but you can effectively push down pretty hard dynamically on one ski at least. Ok you are using lateral acceleration as a means of force reaction, but it's still conscious application of downward pressure to bend and turn the outside ski. Dynamically, you can apply forces much larger than your own weight. For example, try stamping as hard as you can on a bathroom scale.
ski holidays
J, although you are pushed down by the forces in the turn you do still use your muscles to vary the amount of pressure on each ski. You can see how this works by standing on a set of scales. If you stand still with legs bent then you will get a reading of your weight (which strictly speaking is the force that the mass of your body is exerting on the scales due to gravitational acceleration). Now although you've got nothing to phyisically place your hands on and push against, if you straighten your legs quickly - i.e. push your feet against the scales - then you will momentarilly increase the reading on the scales. This is because you are accelerating away from the scales so the force is now your body mass multiplied by gravitional acceleration + the acceleration you have added. If you quickly bend your legs then the opposite occurs - you are momentarilly decreasing the amount of force that your body mass is exerting on the scales. In each case, the force only changes momentarilly as you can only bend and straighten your legs over a limited distance. In essence, you don't need any physical to push against in order to alter the forces on the skis with your muscles.

Now, with the straighter stiffer skis of old, a lot more force is required in order to get them to bend in an arc - hence as much weighting on the outside leg with lots of lower leg angulation. With the deep sidecut skis, less force is required to get them to bend, and the shape allows them to bend more, and if you are going fast enough then just tipping the ski more will enable the forces your body exerts in the turn to bend the ski more.

Of course, most pressuring and tipping and twisting of skis will be done without thinking about is as your body instinctively responds to the different forces in order to remain balanced and go in the direction you want to go in. It's when you try and think about it too much when doing it that the concious part of the brain takes over and mucks it all up.
latest report
pete but we're talking about shaping a ski through a turn not instaneous loading - I think at a constant edge angle you only really do that by altering the weighting between skis (softening the tension in one leg, while holding the other firmer to compensate) "pushing down" doesn't see the right description to me
snow conditions
jedster, I s'pose it all depends on what description works best for different people - and softening tension in one leg while holding the other firmer to compensate does make sense to me. And I s'pose it's different depending on turn type - medium and long radius carved turns aren't going to be same as short radius carved turns are they? I'm thinking with the short radius carved turns then the weight distribution between the feets has got to be much more on one ski than the other to get the ski to bend sufficiently. With the longer turns then the difference in weight distribution between the two will be much less. I prefer the description of tilting and pushing agains tthe skis as it's a thing I can feel - I can feel the push through my feet and instantly know how much force I am applying to each ski without even thinking about it. To think about softening and stiffening legs does my head in and draws my attention to my legs - which ain't good as they're alwas aching!
I think we're in agreement though - to turn, skis have to be tilted AND have pressure applied, verying tilt and varying the pressure between skis alters the turn shape
snow conditions
Back to Phil Smith's video again (sorry to use this one all the time, but I watched it just last week), when he describes the various "steering elements" he does mention that you never use one element in total isolation, but you can "emphasise" the various elements in different turns. eg. turning with "emphasis" on pressure control would mean consciously moving your weight onto the outside ski to deform it; turning with "emphasis" on edge control would mean rolling the skis on edge while maintaining a more even load distribution across the skis. In both cases there would be a certain degree of both pressure and edge steering, but in different proportions.

Or is it not that simple?
snow conditions
It IS simple - just like riding a bike. All balancing forces using a combination of different elements. That's all there is to it.
snow report
Oh dear.

This old chestnut again.

1. Most of the time, the use of the word "weight" is inappropriate in skiing.

2. You can't "apply" pressure. It's a resultant force.

3. Which is why technical manuals refer to that sensory skill as "pressure control" or "pressure management".

Pressure control is all about managing the forces generated as a result of the turning ski. If you're "applying pressure" at any part of the turn, you're missing the fundementals.

BASI sometimes talk about active and passive pressure, which is a fudge to bridge layman understanding with physics. Rather like centrifugal force.

Build or create pressure, yes, apply pressure, no.
snow conditions
yeah veeeight, I think that is what I was trying to say - you use the forces generated by the turn, the varying tension in your legs allocates those forces differently

anyway - this is probably one of those areas where different language achieves the same thing for different people
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Oh dear.

This old chestnut again.

1. Most of the time, the use of the word "weight" is inappropriate in skiing.

2. You can't "apply" pressure. It's a resultant force.

3. Which is why technical manuals refer to that sensory skill as "pressure control" or "pressure management".

Pressure control is all about managing the forces generated as a result of the turning ski. If you're "applying pressure" at any part of the turn, you're missing the fundementals.

BASI sometimes talk about active and passive pressure, which is a fudge to bridge layman understanding with physics. Rather like centrifugal force.

Build or create pressure, yes, apply pressure, no.

well stated......

my comment to any and all who want to push to pressure or bend a ski is......have at it. i will instead be tipping my skis and enjoying, as veeeight has aptly noted, the results!
snow report
If we're going to get pedantic about terminology then Pressure = force / area. ie. pressure is not actually a force at all, but is directly proportional to force
So in everyday language we often interchange force and pressure, meaning the same thing.

Rusty Guy, Sure, turning by tipping the skis is a great way of steering, particularly on modern skis, but it says nothing about how your weight is distributed across the skis. It would also limit your skiing if tipping the ski was the only method (or element) of steering control you employed.
ski holidays
When you cross over the skis your COM is moving away from the point where your skis contact the snow. At high edge angles if you do nothing you will just slide headfirst down the slope, your feet and skis will never catch up.

Extending one or both legs just after crossover will put the skis into reverse camber on the new edges and start carving into the fall line.

It feels counter-intuitive at first, you are already out of static balance and you are pushing yourself further out, but it does work.
snow report
Rusty Guy,

are you saying that you never play with differential "weighting" between your two skis in order to alter turn shape?

e.g., I tip my skis to carve and normally distribute the forces (outside ski dominant but not 100%). If I want to tighten the turn then I tend to angulate more AND move further towards 100% loading on outside ski (by incrementally flexing inner leg/straightening outside leg).

Have I got this wrong? Is it flawed in some way? Why?

Thanks,

J
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Rusty Guy,

are you saying that you never play with differential "weighting" between your two skis in order to alter turn shape?

e.g., I tip my skis to carve and normally distribute the forces (outside ski dominant but not 100%). If I want to tighten the turn then I tend to angulate more AND move further towards 100% loading on outside ski (by incrementally flexing inner leg/straightening outside leg).

Have I got this wrong? Is it flawed in some way? Why?

Thanks,

J

probably too long a topic to discuss on the internet.

i do not use the term "weight" in my teaching. as a turn evolves pressure build and diminish based upon;

speed
slope angle
edge angle

i am convinced any atempt to "transfer weight" is detrimental to effective skiing. in other words as bipeds it leads to a myriad of issues, among them;

sequential as opposed to simultaneous movements
bracing/braking movements
over rotation

folks find the idea of "two footed" skiing vexing. i sum my thoughts by saying "don't confuse what you feel on the base of your foot with what your mass is doing".

as veeight has alluded allow pressures to build. don't get involved with mother nature. spend appreciably more time in every turn with equal pressure on both feet. it will bode you well in a myriad of situations.

lastly.......whoever inquired about my rotational skills vs my tipping skills i'll leave that alone. i teach full time and am a full cert instructor at the home of north americas #1 bumps. we all manage at winter park/mary jane to stumble down several thousand feet of thigh burning bumps on a daily basis.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy