Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking after boots - how to?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, here's the next question in the Megamum boot saga.........

Nice new shiny boots - I've worn them all day and they are covered in snow and have had my sweaty little feet in them all day, how do I look after them and stop them from walking out the door by themselves after 3 days use.

I've seen that the linings pull out - though haven't done this myself yet in case I can't get them back in - is it worth removing them to dry out? if so how often? Should they/can they be washed - how? etc. etc. Or are they just something that you eek as much use out as possible and then buy a new set of liners - I assume they are replaceable?

Also, is it worth drying the outers, how about oiling the catches etc? Is anything necessary?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never take your boots off....then you don't need to worry about the smell wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B, Something tells me that might be the truest bit of advice I get! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:

I've seen that the linings pull out - though haven't done this myself yet in case I can't get them back in - is it worth removing them to dry out?

Yes, if you don't have a boot dryer. As a temporary measure, stuff them with newsprint immediately after skiing (remove before supper).

Quote:
if so how often?

dry them nightly

Quote:
Should they/can they be washed - how?

Laundry hand soap, rinse, once a season.

Quote:

Also, is it worth drying the outers, how about oiling the catches etc? Is anything necessary?

- make a consistent policy of buckling the catches back up again
- I use 303 protectant twice a year and otherwise leave them alone.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex, Great, cheers. I can't get my free 303 samples as I'm not in USA, but there is a UK stockist only about 8 miles away - seems useful stuff for all sorts of things. Have just buckled up my catches!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I use the Dryzone boot driers, bags of silica crystals like you get in camera bags. work really well and don't need any power so work anywhere.
make sure you do them up again after taking them off.
remove and dry the liners after each trip.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dry em out using dryzone or small personal plug un boot dryer, always clip em up, and DO NOT WASH THE LINERS you will damage the glue that holds all the pads in place which will affect the fit rather badly

most important enjoy em Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I never do anything to mine except always make sure my buckles are done up when I take them off. They're normally in a warm boot room or in the warm hotel room to dry out. I don't take the liners out unless I have to.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cathy, ditto. People are far too precious about their kit.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My boots are the conventional four buckle type and in about fifteen weeks skiing I have never removed the inners. Firstly it has not been necessary, they don't whiff that much and I sweat as much as anybody. Secondly I tend to feel that by dragging the inners in and out of the shells on a daily basis it may damage the shape of the inners.

I do buckle them up on the same settings overnight that I use for skiing to keep the shape.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just use a Thermic boot dryer for a couple of hours immediately after use and for an hour before use in the morning - so they feel nice and warm when fitting.
It cost about £40 but I use it all year round for mountain bike shoes, gloves, helmets etc.

Boot dryer
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't put your boots too close to the fire/radiator to dry Megamum. Lots of people have melted their boots in the past doing this. Same goes for the heat-mouldable liners which I'm sure would mould themselves into a different shape if they get too hot. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Febreze works a treat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely boot dryer like uktrailmonster. Left them at home one holiday and would have bought another - at any price - if I could have found one. Best bit of kit ever Cool .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy