Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker piston control

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at buying the Volkl AC3 with the Motion iPT 12.0 Piston, 177 in length. i was wondering if the piston actaully does anything. i can get the skis with or without the piston for the same price. any advice or opinions would be appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, the guy that runs my local ski shop has a daughter who races and is sponsored by Fischer skis. She has been using Marker piston bindings for the last few years, and the view is that they make no noticable difference. Maybe not too surprising when you realise that the travel of the piston is about a quarter inch at most. In fact most of the slalom skiers with these bindings run them in the 'off' setting as to set the piston 'on' means turning a tab in front of the toe binding from straight forward and across to one side, and apparently this causes a spray of snow up into their faces when cranked right over!

The race bindings I've been shown have the piston mounted between the toe and heel, and if I recall right the ones you are thinking about have the piston in a frame out in front of the bindings? If so, then they may behave differently to those that I've described.

I suppose it would do no harm to go with the piston version of the binding if it's going to cost no more. Then you can make up your own mind about its usefulness without any constraint of having to convince yourself that it was worth the extra cash!

By the way, I've just bought some Volkl AC3's myself with the Motion iPT 11.0 bindings. Can't wait to get them onto real snow, have only tried some demo ones in a Snowdome but loved them there.

Jon
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy