Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Genena Airport Car Hire

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.
I'm looking to hire a car from Geneva airport flying with Sleazyjet for a couple of days sliding in and around Megeve over the Feb School Hols. Its our first time going it alone from Geneva and I remember reading on here that there are issues hiring on the France or Swiss side of the airport something about paying a premium or road tax or route being a pain.

Do I need snowchains or by law will they be supplied as some lease companys charge, some do not even recognise the need Puzzled

Can someone help snowHead

Thanks
BS
snow conditions
 brian
brian
GVA car hire should be a sticky I think ....

Swiss side cars come with a sticker (vignette) allowing you to use Swiss motorways. Swiss side cars come with chains and winter tyres but they may not be included in the price, they may be a compulsory extra. French side cars chains and/or winter tyres have to be ordered as optional extras.

You do not have to carry chains but if it's snowing the police may insist you have them on some mountain roads and turn you back if you don't, in February I'd say they are a must have although Mégeve is quite low so you'd probably get away with it.

The French side is a bit of extra hassle but not that much if you buy the vignette at the swiss border (costs about £18 ) and can use the motorway.

If you go French side come back and ask for directions wink

btw, good luck finding short break accom in France in Feb !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

btw, good luck finding short break accom in France in Feb !

Absolutely. First week would be the best as the French school hols don't start until 10 Feb. I would be very surprised if you found short term accomm in Megeve after that, but Sallanches is just down the road and has several hotels. You could drive up each day and try other areas - Combloux well worth a visit if there's more snow by then (not otherwise, as it is lowish).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We did French side - what an absolute nightmare we had returning the car. It was 3am when we got back to Geneva. Missed the turn off. Ended up forking out for a fricking toll on the Swiss side, managed to get back around, couldn't find way into the airport. Got into Swiss side and couldn't get back around to French side. Eventually we got to the gate on the French side that leads down to the carparks only to find it was locked as the airport was shut and wouldn't open till 5am! It was much fun......
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is no reason good enough to rent from the French side out of choice.
Winter tyres and chains are legal requirement in Switz' so they are fitted/supplied to all cars on Swiss side.
Returning your car to the French side is a NIGHTMARE!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
THis link for Car Hire was the most reasonable we've found,and a few of us used it for the PSB. Choose Switzerland Geneva Airport for hire from the Swiss side. HOliday Autos use Alamo at GVA, they've been excellent when we;ve used them. The motorway sticker was included, and so were chains and snow tyres last winter. We've usually been upgraded too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Accomodation is all sorted out we are staying in the Sallanches Ibis as its only Monday afternoon Tues, Wed and Thurs morning we are able to get off due to pre booked Stag and Hen weekends. Not much alpine resort charm I suspect but the skiing is what we are after. Any recomendations in and around Sallanches restaurants bars or are we better off going for a swim and Sauna in Megeve Etc eating in resort and driving down later in the evening. Am I going to need a TomTom!!! or is Swiss Geneva to Sallanches easy Puzzled Thanks for all your help so far. Very Happy
BS
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bladeski, you can use the viamichelin website for route plans, they have the advantage of showing you where the speed cameras are too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen - Thanks for the link they are the cheapest I've found as well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Car hire from Switzerland always includes the tax sticker, winter tyres and chains in the price. Don't hire from France, we've always found it to be a nightmare, the Swiss are just so much more organised...We've driven from the 3V's and Tignes to Geneva and then onto Zermatt using the road signs which are excellent. Am not familar with Sallanches though...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last time I hired at Geneva, I used Sixt.com - normally I'd just go with Holiday Autos, but these guys were quite a bit cheaper (once I deselected the extras I didn't need)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We hired from the French side assuming that it would somehow be more logical since we were going to France. The first challenge is to get to the French side of the airport as you need to go back through pasport control and the signs are not obvious. We did it without going on Swiss motorways and therefore didn't need a vignette. As long as you are very careful about following the directions you can be OK - we did it out and back on two occasions without a serious wrong turn but you need an alert navigator or perhaps a GPS. I'd heard that it's more expensive on the Swiss side and not sure about insurance but if these wern't issues then I'd go for the Swiss.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I echo what everyone else has said. Definitely go Swiss side.

On the question of car hire websites I used to use Holiday autos as 1st choice but I now go through travelsupermarket.com. They compare lots of different prices including Holiday Autos.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Returning your car to the French side is a NIGHTMARE!

only if you don't know the way. If you ignore all signposting off the motorway to the airport, and take the next exit (eastbound towards Lausanne) and follow signposting to Ferney, it's easy enough. I often see assertions that all swiss hired cars include chains as standard but I've not found that to be the case; you need to check. The Swiss side is definitely more straightforward but sometimes the price difference is enough to make it worth looking at the French side.

Quote:

is Swiss Geneva to Sallanches easy

yes, very easy. Come out of the airport and take the signposting to FRANCE. Take the inside lane as you exit the airport area and stay in that lane, through several sets of traffic lights, until you come to a big T junction (ignoring any temptation to switch lanes) with FRANCE signposted to the left. Stay in the inside lane as you turn and then dive immediately right again into the continuation of the bus lane, ready to turn right onto the motorway. Follow signs to France and Chamonix. That takes you through a couple of tunnels, through the border (no problem, usually) and through two péages. Take the next exit after the second péage (Cluses), signposted Sallanches. Actually easier than it sounds but the signposting round the airport can be a tad confusing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If anyone does want directions to and from GVA then send me a PM and I have them in a PDF. We always hire from French side and it's not really a problem and has been cheaper from what we've found. It does mean going in and out of France/Switzerland in the airport a little. All part of the fun Smile
snow report
Paul-B,
Quote:
we did it out and back on two occasions without a serious wrong turn but you need an alert navigator

This was where we fell down - my "navigator" couldn't keep his eyes open. Another passenger in the back was getting stressed as he was dying for a wee, and the distraction of him made me go straight past the Lausanne turn off for Ferney. We then saw the airport, found the Swiss side but couldn't figure how to get to the French side. My mate who was dying for a pee had to use a pillar on the Swiss side and got yelled up by some bloke so we whizzed off and eventually got to where we wanted. My back seat driver mate had been moaning all week about our slow driving on the snow - calling my and my non-moaning driver mate "tea cosies". That's why we made no effort to let him out earlier!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A couple of other snippets from my experience:

1, if you happen to be returning the car to another location in France then it is much much cheaper to hire from the French side (not surprisingly)
2, if your flight is delayed and you are arriving late, getting through to the French side in our experience involved finding a border guard etc and getting him to open up, plus the French hire car desks (I think) close at midnight, whereas the ones on the Swiss side (being the main ones) all stayed open.
ski holidays
Quote:

My back seat driver mate had been moaning all week about our slow driving on the snow - calling my and my non-moaning driver mate "tea cosies". That's why we made no effort to let him out earlier!

quite right too.
Quote:

had to use a pillar on the Swiss side and got yelled up by some bloke

should have used one on the French side, par for the course here. Was at a charming mountain restaurant recently, with the most beautiful toilets I have ever seen in such an establishment, and some boor still felt the need to stand in full view of the diners admiring the view over the Arly Valley and create yellow snow. Unbelievable. Can any multicultural male snowHead tell my why Brits seem to feel the need for a "pillar", or such like, whereas Frenchmen can pee in midair? Or is this another thread?
snow report
pam w, My experience (of the French side at GVA, not of men peeing Shocked ) matches yours. The Swiss seem to want to make life difficult by 'hiding' the signs to the French side both in the airport and on the approach roads but if you follow the route the Hire company map shows it isn't THAT difficult. I've hired from GVA about half a dozen times now, only once from the Swiss side, and not had any real problems. Never had to pay the Motoway tax either. French side generally seems cheaper, (last time by about 30 Euro) so you pays your money and takes your choice ... Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Never had to pay the Motoway tax either

AxsMan, was that because the car you had already had a vignette, or because you avoided the motorway? Those eagle eyed Swiss border guards don't let anyone without a vignette past, on the border post on the motorway into the airport.
snow conditions
pam w, Last time the hire car had the vignette and the directions given to me took me on the Swiss motorway. Previous times it didn't, and they didn't. Kind of makes sense really! Laughing snowHead
latest report
in the past we've always used the swiss side but I've just been looking at hire for next w/e and it seems as though we save over 50 quid going for the French side so even if we end up buying a vignette it's worth a go!

MrDan, thanks for the generous offer of a pdf of directions (to the French side!!??) my pm is on it's way!
latest report
MrDan, Thanks for the offer PM sent.

Thanks to all for help so far I knew snowHead would come up trumps.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy