Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place for ski in Europe around Mid March?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Smile

Newbie here looking for info on a possible ski holiday around 20th March... I'll be travelling with the Mrs and neither of us have any ski experience so it would need to be something good for beginners (Dont want it to be boring tho in case we pick things up quickly and are stuck on crap slopes). It'll need to be Europe and would prefer it to have some decent apres-ski tho I spose it's not that big a factor. Would we lose/miss out on anything if we were to go to a cheaper resort? What are the cheaper resorts?

Are we leaving it too late to take a ski holiday at so close to April (how long does the snow last?)

Thanks in advance...

Jamie Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JamieUK, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Skiing above 2000m continues until about the end of April - we go to Val Thorens regularly in the second week of Easter and other snowHeads are going right at the end of Easter. I've only skied twice in March, at Val Cenis (1400m) there wasn't much snow at valley bottom but up the mountain it was fine, Val Cenis was pretty cheap but little apres ski and a relatively small ski area. We also went to Obergurgl (1800m), a different year and it was freezing, -15C and blowing a breeze. Nursery slopes do tend to be at the bottom of the mountain and March is quite late so I'd head higher.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go somewhere high and you will be fine - Espace Killy, Paradiski and Trois Valles will all have snow I reckon
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mayhofen is really nice - it was definitely a winner with my wife when we went a few Christmases ago.
La Clusaz is really nice around that time as well - I went on 16th March 2006 and we had heaps of snow. Great food, Not too many English - actually, we didn't speak to a single other English person for the whole time we were there!
Both of these places have more "charm" than Val D.
What sort of accommodatin would you be after?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JamieUK,

High resorts will be very reliable for snow at this time of the year, resorts with lower skiing may be good but can be poor, if booking in advance I would go high, if prepared to wait and see you can often get great skiing at low to medium altitude.

Expensive places are often expensive because of fashion and the quality of the accommodation.

Cheapest places are Eastern Europe and the Pyrenees, can't say I have skied in either but many like them though they don't have great snow at the moment.

Austria and Italy tend to be cheaper than France and Switzerland though there are variations within these countries.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies - Keep them coming! Smile

I'm actually a travel agent so should know bout things like this shouldnt I?! I think what we'll do is wait until 2/3 days before and hope to pick up a last minute cheapie. Accommodation I guess will be at least B&B - not too sure re HB or a catered challet - Do any of you ppl have experience of these? Whats the food been like?

Re equipment - Will we need to invest in some ski stuff before we go or is it generally available for hire? I know ski hire will be available but what about clothing?

Once again thanks for your replies so far...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JamieUK, clothing is unlikely to be available for hire in resort, but there are companies who do it here. One of the big TO's (Nielson's or Inghams) used to advertise clothing hire in their brochures. You could also pick up some stuff at TKMaxx or one of the outlet places, like Freeport.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Go high.

Village base level should ideally be at least 1800m from mid-Mar onward.

Most of the best higher stations are in France and Switzerland.

Val d'Isere, Tignes, Val Thorens, St Moritz and Saas Fee spring to mind.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JamieUK, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

re equipment check out http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks.

Just a quick look at Inghams Website and noticed there is a big difference in price between resorts for tuition. France appears to be over £100 more expensive than other places - Is this because it's more established/popular? I'd rather use this money to pay for nicer accom, board basis if I'm not going to notice a difference...!

As this is going to be something totally new to me am I really going to benefit from going to France & spending more money?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JamieUK, many people on snowheads don't realise that there is skiing outside of France....so don't be swayed by their opinion wink

As a beginner, the important things are that you are in a nice place, with things to do if you want to have an afternoon/day off, and that your accommodation is pleasant. Learning to ski is great fun, but can also be hard work/tiring. I would always favour Austria for beginners (I've never been to Andora or Bulgaria) as they are set up for receiving beginners, their ski schools employ a lot of native English speakers (those that are Austrian have to take their exams in English) and they tend to have their resorts based in towns.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JamieUK, great skiing should be available more or less anywhere in mid-March. I would choose on the basis of having lots of beginner slopes for variety, ski school recommendations and availability of other activities if you get physically tired from the skiing. That will still leave you plenty of choice!

I've just read Elizabeth B's comments as I type - basically, I agree with those (though some similar resorts are available in France too!)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JamieUK, I would agree with Elizabeth B, Austria would be my choice for you and your Mrs. Although the skiing is generally better and more varied in France (generalisation I know) the nightlife is better elsewhere.

France does not have a fantastic apres ski culture in comparrison to Austria or Italy. Do not worry about price. If it is your only criteria stay away from skiing, sailing and flying. Wherever you go, you will be catred for in any resort. Go for a place that has great nightlife Ischgl or Solden. As a beginner the nightlife is more important than the skiing. If you do not take to the sport, you will still have a fantastic holiday. If you like it, then you can be like others on this site and chose France wink

In this instance do not rely on late availability. Go somewhere and stay in a hotel that is suitable. Enjoy the holiday, let us know how you got on.

BTW, welcome to snowHead 's
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold, I have never had any problem returning to resorts at 1350m in mid-March, mid=April may be a different matter, but not mid-March.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy