Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base Grinding - Possible to source tools?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I am a keen ski tuner, and have most of the equipment thanks to this forum (And Spyderjon last year) that I need. I have the stuff I need to maintain and tune edges, and waxing.

What I still rely on my local workshop to do for me is base grinds. I am wondering if the tools to do this are availabel to buy, and are practical for a well laid out home workshop?

Would like to be able to do the whole job, especially as I do service friends skis fairly regularly now.

Thanks for any advice!

ScottyDog Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scottydog, basically don't go there. This is one job for a commercial workshop not a home tuner. In theory it's possible to flatten bases & impart structure by hand but in practice it's nigh on impossible to get anything like the quality of a proper commercial machine job. I know as I've tried.

A full blown belt sander & stone grinder with variable speed, auto-feed & dressing diamond is in excess of £20k. Moonflex now offer structure imparting belts for sanders meaning you could get a sander set-up from £5k without an auto-feed - & you have to be very well practiced if you use a machine without an auto-feed. These prices are based on 3 phase motors with single phase for domestic use being more expensive & you loose the variable speed control.

If you keep your ear to the ground it's possible to pick up second-hand machines, especially as stores have been changing from ski width only machines to ones wide enough to take boards - but the ones I've come across have been so poorly maintained they weren't worth what initially looked like a good price. And then you'll need a lot of floor space to house it.

As grinds are required so infrequently stick with a competent store for that process, insisting that they flatten/grind only & then do the edge setting & base prepping yourself.

If you want an affordable pro tool that will make a real difference then buy a Tec 350se base repair pistol from me wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just curious, but when is a base grind needed?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sure. Buyers' market. wink

Montana?
Grindrite? Wintersteiger?
Reichmann? (Oooh?)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hornster, a number of causes:

1. The bases have worn concave - caution as some skis with wide tips & tails like my Metrons are slightly concave in this area & this shouldn't be ground out
2. Repeated tuning of the base edge which lowers it below the level of the ski base, known as a 'high' base
3. If there's been a lot of base damage then after the repairs it can be easier, faster & neater etc to flatten & re-structure
4. Accumulated damage to the base edge from use so that it's hard to get a smooth clean edge
5. If you're a high performance skier/racer & want to alter the grind pattern for specific snow conditions
6. If you want to re-set your base edge angle to an angle less than it's currently set to, ie you have a 1 degree base edge angle & you want to set it to 0.5

I ground my B5's after 6 weeks use due to no.4.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, i live in cheshire and because it is so bl""dy flat we dont have to many ski shops near by and after watching a couple of downloads about ski waxing would like to do my own is it really as easy as it looks and can i get the right equipment on the net
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, sorry i must read on before posting just found your site will be in touch by mail rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy