Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Socks over thermals?

Poster: A snowHead
With the full length leg thermals what do you put on first; your socks and then thermals over the top or the other way round?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zebedee,

Don't usually use LJ's but if I do I pull them up to just below my knee- they'd finish just below the calf anyway- and then pull the sock up to the LJ. I would be careful not to have any big creases that would chaffe the ski tho'. I would want to avoid big clumps of sock/LJ in my boots and on my shin, hence the above
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zebedee, my leg thermals come down over my socks
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
zebedee, I have some 3/4 length one that I use but like JT, if I use long legged ones I pull them up so they are over of top my boots.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Although thinking about it the thermals don't come all the way down to my ankles, stop about mid-calf, so they go over my socks but not right down into my boots
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, don't they make a ridge where they end? I never put mine inside my boots.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RachelQ, they don't seem to. I've never really thought about it. My fave ones, and I have a few pairs of them Toofy Grin , are from M & S and they're tight with a cuff on the bottom. I'm going to have to go and try them on with my boots to see what happens Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mine go over my socks. But I wear thin socks and thin tight fitting LJs - with the LJs in the boot I don't have any problem at all - not even a line around my calf at the end of the day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well I've just tried them all on Toofy Grin , and I'm the same as petemillis. Thin socks, thin thermals with a cuff, that do go down to my ankles. And I never have a line or anything. I think they'd be quite uncomfortable pulled up to the top of my boot as they'd be really tight.

It was great putting everything on though!! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cathy, I can join in this now wink I got some thermals last weekend, found some cheap in Netto's, unfortunately not swish ladies ones like you get from M&S, but in Netto's they had a load of gents ones for a good price, and I thought, 'well, provided I don't get carted off the mountain on a stretcher' who's going to see them, so I got a couple of sets. They are fairly close fitting, and I have tried them on with my ski 'tube' socks over the top and then put the boots on, seem OK so far.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, see this is the question, do as cathy does and put the socks on first and then then the thermals, or like you have and put the thermals on first and then the socks on top.

I think I normally do socks first because my thermals have a bit if a mesh texture so I'd prefer the sock next to my skin. But if I don't put my ski socks on until after breakfast, just before putting on the boots then it can be a real pain pulling up the thermals cos they're such a tight fit.

I'm tempted to cut the bottom part off so they only go down to just below the knee.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I want some shorter ones, mine come down past my ankles. They aren't too tight around my knees though a bit wrinkled.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont wrote:
I want some shorter ones, mine come down past my ankles. They aren't too tight around my knees though a bit wrinkled.

aka Norah Batty ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, Try Helly Hanson I got some 3/4 length ones which are great
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Linds, I knew you'd be along to help out!! Very Happy
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Laughing
snow report
I'm a socks then thermals gal.
ski holidays
I never wear thermals....they just make me too hot. so socks.....
snow report
I worked on the theory that (I think Puzzled ) the thermals work by wicking the moisture away from the skin and providing a layer of air next to the skin, ergo, put the thermals on first. That said my tight and long - ankle length - gents ones did contribute to the tightness around the calf, I think it might be OK, but if after the first day I find it uncomfortable I might well take the scissors to them. P.S. CathyI am enjoying an excuse to keep putting on the boots - I've just gone and got all my 'new' gear for a 'total look' fitting!! P.P.S. Do you think I'm going to be insufferable by the time I go? Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
zebedee, I wear socks then thermals over them! if you cut off the bottom they might go baggy and ride up Shocked
ski holidays
Deffo socks next to the skin - did it the other way round once and never again, nasty red weals from the seam on the thermals. My thermals are silk and incredibly fine and by the time I'm in a skiing position the ankle cuff just tucks into the very top of my boot - long enough not to wrinkle and be uncomfortable and short enough not to affect boot fit drastically
snow report
A bit behind everyone else commenting on this but...

All my lot wear thermal LJ's.

The first thing I've always done when buying a new pair is to take a pair of scissors to them and make slits up the side so that they can be pushed up above the top of the boots.

I certainly notice if I don't do this.
latest report
Megamum, Good socks are wicking and are worth spending proper money on . . . and that same sort for the whole vacation. Cut off and hem your thermals just under the knee.
ski holidays
I'm with Masque and others in the 3/4 or cut off camp. Did anyone have a double layer in their boots when they were fitted? so why do it after Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

I am enjoying an excuse to keep putting on the boots

you don't need an excuse, Megamum, it's a really good idea to clomp around a bit in your boots before hitting the slopes.
snow conditions
I s'pose a lot depends on the LJs. Proper LJs for active sports are very thin, close fitting and moisture wicking and I'd imagine the only type of people who would notice them would be those who notice a pea under a mattress!
snow report
rich wrote:
I'm with Masque and others in the 3/4 or cut off camp. Did anyone have a double layer in their boots when they were fitted? so why do it after Puzzled

Tempted as I am, it is hard to argue with Msq when he's right.
ski holidays
Masque has it right, That is exactly what I did to my first pair of thermals AFTER getting a 4 inch long blister up my calf from the seam Shocked . My current pair are loose enough round the ankle that I simply roll them up above the sock. NEVER put them under your sock in your boot, why risk it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now, where's my scissors? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Buy some without seams! Mine have cuffs but they're sort of knitted in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy