Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need advice regarding ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm new to this board, so I apologize if this topic has been worked to death.

I ski 5 to 9 days a year - usually Breckenridge or Vail. I'd love to ski more, but can't make it happen since I live in the flatlands. Been skiing for 25 years at that rate. Although my technique is nothing to write home about, I'm a fairly aggressive skier. Prefer to ski blacks - steeps and moguls - and I'm capable of handling just about any slope (although it's not always a thing of beauty). To me, skiing is all about the challenge of pushing myself to the next level and improving my technique. I'm 5'11", 165 lbs., 43 years old and reasonably decent shape.

I've rented demo skis for years. But last year I rented a pair of K2 Escape 4500s (167cm). I loved them so much I decided to look for a pair on eBay. I eventually found and bought a pair of 4500s at a steal price. The only difference is that this pair is 174cm. I figured 6cm can't make that much difference.

I'm now starting to wring my hands about whether, ideally, I'd be better served with a shorter pair at 167. I've seen the standard sizing charts which can be found online. If I'm reading them right, they do seem to suggest that 160-something is generally the recommended length for someone of my height and weight. I don't know what to think.

Can some of you help me out? For a skier like me, what is the ideal length?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Greetings and welcome from another flatlander.

Sooner Dragon wrote:
For a skier like me, what is the ideal length?

Depends on the ski model and its design purpose. Someone your size might ski a ski 155cm to 185cm, depending on whether they wanted short turn capability, powder float, or GS racing prowess.

In that ski, you should be fine on 174cm until you choose to upgrade.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks much. I guess the main thing I'm looking for is short turn capability. I don't care about racing prowess and I don't ski powder all that often. Spend most of my time in moguls or steep slopes. My usual focus is improving my prowess and control within moguls.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Out of curiosity, what year 4500?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd say 174 for your height, weight and experience but Americans like to ski short
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex wrote:
Out of curiosity, what year 4500?

I'm not totally certain, but I believe they're a couple of years old.

The eBay listing of the skis is still up at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=250041586325
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They look to me 2001 or m'be 2002. I suspect the ones you rented were a more recent design. The length is correct for you for that model year, though.

What boots are you using? Will you be taking lessons?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess I was too much of an equipment novice to consider the significance of the model year. I pretty much assumed that, except maybe for aesthetics (color, etc.), the engineering of the 4500 would be the same regardless of the year. Is that wrong? The more I try to research skis, the more all the variations and specifications make my head spin! There's so much I don't know.

My boots are Salomon Performa 8.0, which I also recently bought but haven't yet tried out. I gather they're a mid-line boot. What's the consensus opinion on those boots among people in the know?

I'd love get into some higher level equipment, but so far it's hard for me to justify the cost when I'm not able ski any more than I do. The fact that I don't readily comprehend the distinction between a $500 and $1,000 pair of skis is also a factor. But I hope to get there some day!

I haven't taken lessons in quite a while. I often have to divide my ski time between time with my wife and kids (who aren't as adventurous) and my solo time. Haven't been able to bring myself to spend my coveted solo time on lessons. But I realize I could probably benefit from some more advanced level instruction.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy