Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets looking horrendous.............

Poster: A snowHead
This is a real poor live cam shop of les gets. It looks like The end of aprill not mid january. http://www.trinum.com/ibox/lesgets/Images/webcam1big.jpg Dont care what anyone says but this just should not be happening in mid jan. Its really sad to see this picture.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Embarassed Skullie
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In light of the current conditions, where apart from Avoriaz is in easy reach of Les Gets (by car) and would have decent snow at the moment, if there is anywhere?

I know it doesn't look good at the moment, but i imagine with the drop in temp forecast they will be able to get the canons on again by Sunday night to improve the pistes. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
that sucks but check out the top of meribel http://pv.viewsurf.com/?id=14 looks okay to me
snow report
 brian
brian
davejsy, Flaine is probably the next nearest, about 40 mins or so by car from Gets I think.

Chamonix/Argentiere are probably about an hour away.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Around 15 years ago we booked a self drive chalet holiday in Les Gets with a mainstream operator in January (around Jan 15th.)
When we arrived in the Les Gets the resort was closed as there was no snow! This was before the days of snowmaking.
So each day we drove up to Avoriaz and had a really good holiday.
Had we not driven over the Tour Ops rep advised us that they had laid on buses to other resorts at a price of 25French Francs per person per day Shocked

1) No snow in January is not new/unusual
2) Self drive is best!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HARRYMAC2702, yes it should, could, can and has.

[Glad to see you've managed to find the Caps Lock key on your key board though.]

It's weather. It does what it does. It's not particularly abnormal if you look back far enough. Are you skiing in Les Gets anytime soon?

This is Avoriaz. Looks pretty damn good to me. http://www.trinum.com/ibox/avoriaz/webcam/panoramiqueHD.htm

Winter just doesn't seem to have happened below 1,500m Above that it's not a vintage season but reasonably business as usual.

And, no it does not presage not the end of the world. Unless your particular belief system includes a malign god that wants to punish you for succumbing to black ski trousers like the other lemmings.

(Apologies to the lemmings!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, whats wrong with black ski trousers?! NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes what is wrong with black trousers?????? Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am sure that I have even seen Mr Murdoch in black ski trousers... Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomski01, what's right with them?

In fairness, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with black trousers, I just got rather tired of only having one (non) colour to choose from.

Thankfully the retailers in Europe are a little more open minded. I now have a fine mandarin-orange pair. Pix to follow...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro, not any more you won't. Although, I will take them over to the Inferno next weekend as they have full length zips which is handy with a catsuit...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, Is this them Toofy Grin

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sage, close but no mandarin. About the right colour, but I have slightly more breathable fabric...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sage, well that explains the high freezing levels. Neutral
snow report
David Murdoch, Listen, the reason i posted because i personaly think that a ski resort in this poor state of affairs in winter warrants concern- or do you think think this is normal? Secondly iv used caps lock in my title when i first registered so i cant see what the problem is. Thirdly where did i mention the end of the world? Sarcasim is the lowest form of witt and perhaps the reason why the planet is warming and causing freak warm temeratures during winter is due to people who'd rather be sarcastic and try to make a sensible observation something which its not and behave in a childish way rather than adress reltime concerns. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
HARRYMAC2702, hmm, touched a nerve haveI?

I seem to recall a few threads where you used caps lock rather more often Happy

Personally, a ski resort looking like that is just what happens sometimes. I've seen it worse at this time of year. It is perhaps not usual but it is not abnormal. You did not mention the end of the world - but "this is not normal" as a sentiment rather suggests a leading argument does it not?
ski holidays
David Murdoch, no you havent touched a nerve but i dislike the way you have treated my thread. As for the caps lock bit thats done and dusted yet your the only one who obviously seems to want to linger with it. Of course its abnormal. If barbados had snow in summer would you brush it off as just one of those things? Or do you just try to be awkward and padantic?
snow conditions
HARRYMAC2702,
Quote:

Dont care what anyone says but this just should not be happening in mid jan

No, it shouldn't in a perfect world, but our God given world is imperfect, Les Gets has had to close in previous years in January (I was there one year) and no doubt will have to close in January in years to come. Confused
Please don't be upset, the snow will still come, but a bit later than usual this year! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch wrote:
........... that wants to punish you for succumbing to black ski trousers like the other lemmings.

(Apologies to the lemmings!)

Accepted. Just this once. NehNeh
ski holidays
I suppose it all depends how long this continues in Les Gets. No snow for the next few days, and then it will not be long before it is Feb when "half" of France will try to squeeze into the upper slopes of Avoriaz
snow report
David Murdoch, lovin' orange. I want an orange pair of pants but I have a red jacket (as you know) so that just won't do. I'll have to flog the red one and buy a grey one and then I'll be fine. At this point, I'll start pondering the lack of snow in Champéry and be grateful I've not got green pants and a brown jacket. Otherwise my mates won't be able to see me... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Sharkymark, Be Careful! Shocked In an orange and grey ensemble, there is a danger you'd be thought of as Easy..... wink
snow report
I've seen worse than this. And weather is hard to predict - which is why, for as long as I can remember, tour ops have made a thing of guaranteed snow only at the very very highest resorts. Les Gets has never, as are as I know, been high enough to be a resort with guaranteed snow compared with Val D, Tignes and all - or has it? Maybe I'm wrong. And of course the problem is being exacerbated by tour ops and ski areas starting the ski season earlier and earlier as it makes more money.If the season didn't start until beginning of January then we'd only be a couple of weeks into the season with poor snow now.
Of course we should all be concerned about the environment and our impact on it. But what's happened so far this year doesn't seem abnormal to me in the great scheme of things. And also, Harry, if you were truly concerned then you wouldn't even be considering going skiing and adding to the problem. BTW they had snow in Australia a couple of weeks ago - seriously!
latest report
Anniepen, oh s*** you're right...I'd better stick to red and black then Cool
snow report
Harry, dear boy, calm down. By the way, I think the word you're looking for is "pedAntic".
snow report
My god - how do these threads get so heated?! We are only chatting about snow! (there is a cheesey-punn in there somewhere...)
snow report
tim_cullen, Welcome to snowHead --- hope you find something to enjoy here Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why thank you Agenterre!

I am going to Les Gets this Saturday Confused

It seems by looking at the posts on this thread there are quite a few other areas close by. I don't suppose someone in the know could post up a list of reasonably snowy resorts nearby and approximately how far they are are away from Les Gets (by car)??

I think that would be very handy wink
ski holidays
Avoriaz I believe is only a shortish drive away, head for the lifts at Ardent. I was there last year and am due out nect week.
snow report
Avoriaz - about 10-15mins by car to Ardent bubble seems to be the logical entry point.
I think someone mentioned an extra free bus from Les Gets to/from Ardent bubble, but not sure if that is daily or was just at the weekend.
Or there's big parking in Morzine (not sure of cost), which would allow you access to Avoriaz via either Ardent, Super Morzine or Les Prodains, giving flexibility to go via one entry point, and return via another c/o free buses. Super Morzine might only be open in 1 direction?
Flaine - access via Morillon might be open. Deffo need car to get there.
Snow is threatening to arrive on Monday. Which is good, cos I go Les Gets this Sunday Smile

oh and welcome to snowHead snowheads
ski holidays
Quote:

If barbados had snow in summer would you brush it off as just one of those things?

No, because if Barbados had snow ever, let alone in summer, it would mean that something completely unprecedented had happened, with no warning, like the earth' s axis shifting a few degrees. The lowest temperature ever recorded in Barbados is about 16 degrees. And just in case you're wondering, I lived there for nearly four years....

tim_cullen, Avoriaz is your best bet and shouldn't be too crowded at the moment. There's nowhere else very close to Les Gets, I think, though Flaine and Chamonix are within range for a day's skiing if you have a car. I don't know how much better they are, though. But (see the snow forecast thread) it might be getting usefully colder from Sunday.
snow report
I'm off to Les Gets too this weekend. Does anyone know if there are busses heading up to Avoriaz? And how much they're likely to cost Wink

Thanks!

Rob
snow report
tim_cullen, I'm there in about 3 weeks, and having been looking at contingency plans for lack of snow. Apart from Avoriaz, the next nearest seems to be Flaine (40min), although not sure what the snow is like there. And also as already mentioned in the thread above Chamonix isn't too far (assuming you have a car), I looked it up on multi-map yesterday, and is only around 45min drive. Hopefully we will get the snow that has been mentioned next weekend, and you won't need to go anywhere! Very Happy
ski holidays
isn't the quickest alternative for flaine via the lift at Samoens. Understood this was about 20 mins drive from LEs Gets but otherwould be better placed to comment. hope it is an academic discussion for you and it snows
snow report
Cool looks like we will be able to ski somewhere afterall! I was getting very very worried (sure most of us were!)
ski holidays
robcraine, Welcome to snowHead , someone local will undoubtedly answer your question when they get back from skiing ...
latest report
robcraine, free with lift pass afaik. Les Gets to Morzine. Then Swap to another bus to Les Prodains or Ardent. There's another thread with a Morzine area timetable (URL for which I will dig out), but didn't have the Les Gets to Morzine part. As mentioned somewhere else too, there seemed to be an extra bus from Les Gets to Ardent bubble for Avoriaz access.

dan100, you may be right. Samoens may be quicker into Flaine, Morillon must be first station en route from Les Gets. We went up Morillon, and came down Cascades to Sixt (iirc), and got bus back to Morrillon. NB for those that do, you used to be able to exchange 1 day of a PdS 6-day pass for a GrandMassif one. So worth haggling.
snow report
Blimey, it looks horrendous now - there's ben a hell of a melt since Xmas from what I can make out!

I hope there's more snow soon!
ski holidays
Found it - here's the other Les Gets - Avoriaz bus thread. There's a link in there for the Morzine/Avoriaz bus timetable.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22741

Oh and welcome to all the new Les Gets bound snowheads snowHead which seem to have just appeared Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy