Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MAYRHOFEN 2006/2007

Poster: A snowHead
Who's going? Who's been? Recommendations?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never been but going in march! I hear its got some good bars Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very tempted to go in March. Not been for a few years, so can't reliably recommend anything (new area has opened since my last), other than... don't leave your skis/board in the bundle outside the Penkenbahn / IceBar.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks, I hear ice bar gets busy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
forecast a little better now too!

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast_7.asp?resortID=8
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like I'll be out there for a week on the 3rd March. Not been before but looking forward to it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
im off to Zell am Ziller in February (just down the valley) and will be certainly be heading to Mayrhofen for some skiing!

Cant wait!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been a few years but kicking the night off at the scotland yard pub and finishing to the live entertainment at the sport hotel and maybe running downstairs to the nightclub there always used to be a superb night.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
loffers, welcome to snowHead s!

I have a friend who's a boarder (boreder? Wink ) who loves the place, wants to go back every year!

So it must have a good reputation.

I'm going to the Ziller Valley in Mid-Late feb, so I'll report back if I get chance to go to the slopes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yeah im a boarder Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually tempted to go on w/c 3rd or 10th March depending on (a) snow, and (b) whether I can get a passport renewal squeezed in between next weeks sliding about and then.
As it is probably more convenient to drive from here , does anyone know of any decent parking in Mayrhofen (or Zell an Ziller) ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm going there the weekend after next.

Does anyone know a good spot for the clasical Austrian apres (a la Ischgl & Saalbach) .. I went there briefly last year and could only find the afore mentioned Ice bar which is not what I was after .. an old style wooden venue is always better than glass & steel for that sort of thing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RichA, Nikkis bar just over the bridge near the Ahorn was great. It was more of a tented dome rather than traditional cabin but the apres was awesome. Basincally we had to drag ourselves out of there at 8.30pm after several hours to go and eat, but the party looked like it would carry on throughout the night. It included the usual cheesy music, the odd strip show (a glimpse of a pair of Superman pants will live in my memory) and lots of dancing on tables!! It's up there with Bauers ski alm and the Whiskey Muhle IMV.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More snow coming to mayrhofen!

Jan 22nd - 24th forecast some snow! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cool, thanks Hayls,

where are these other top apres spots you mention ?? ... i always like to choose my resorts with this sort of knowledge in hand !!
latest report
RichA, Decent apres is always second on my list, in fact make that joint first with the skiing!

The best for me was Bauers in Saalbach, closely followed by the Hinterhagalm (sp?) also in Saalbach, and the Whiskey Muhle in Soll and Nikkis in Mayrhofen. I never made it over to the Goatstall in Hinterglemm but I've heard it's brilliant for apres and traditional style too.

Off to Ischgl in March so hopefully that will meet our apres expectations!
ski holidays
too true Hayls, a very important consideration

Definitely go to the Trofana Alm in Ischgl when you get there .. it shuts (briefly) at 7pm but you can move next door into the Romantica to chill out for a bit before dinner (if you bother with food !!). The Nikii Stradl (not sure about the spelling) at the other end of town is also good but a little bit weird. (One time I went there our whole group were in bed asleep before 9:30pm with very little recollection of what happened after coming off the slopes a few hours earlier).

I wanted to try out the Goasstall but we couldn't get accomodation in Saalbach over a weekend cos there are 14 of us so have had to settle for Mayrhofen ... Nikkis will be receiving a visit from us !!
snow report
RichA, thanks for the apres info on Ischgl.

I hope Nikkis is still as good after I've bigged it up! A lot of ski instructors go there so that's always a good sign for me and it was always rammed from about 5pm onwards. I found the Ice bar was more teenage orientated and whilst I'm not old, I prefer the typical Austrian cheesy music and weissbeer!

I've just had a thought, but as I was always a bit drunk when I was there, I'm pretty sure it was called Nikki's but never really checked. The rest of the group called it that anyway so we can't all be wrong!

Have fun.
snow report
Im flying there tommorrow for seven days will report daily on conditions

mongoose
snow report
I love Mayrhoffen. My boarding holidays are limited though but I've been there twice and definitely recommend it. No drag lifts and gentle slopes or flat ground off the chairs. Very few queues for the chairs. The only queues are for the gondola to go up to the first slopes and back down again but there is a bar right by the gondola station so you can start your apres ski while you watch the queues going down Smile

Lots of wonderfully wide and open runs. Once you get past the snowpark area the slopes aren't as crowded. There are some flat bits that connect the slopes and these can be a bit of a pain - or a great pain if you fall like I did!

Both times I went 1st week of April and there was still lots of snow and more arrived during that week. I understand that that area gets the best snow during late season.

Scotland Yard Pub is really nice as someone has already said. Also, Mo's Bar - excellent food and atmosphere. Can't remember anything about Nikkis - and not because of the alcohol either! Just a poor memory thing rolling eyes

Opposite the Ice Bar there is a deli that sells hot meat sandwiches/rolls - absolutely scrumptious when you fall out of the gondola after a good days boarding/skiing.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I think next years EoSB should be in Mayrhofen.
snow conditions
Was gonna say maybe not EOSB, but then there is tuxer glacier. The place can get pretty chokka, and I've certainly given up looking for accomodation before now, and when I have been I got last available rooms in hotel twice. Packed full of Dutch too, which helps keep the Grolsch flowing.
Nice place. I liked it and wanna go back. I thought there were drag lifts on the Ahorn side, which I hear is now adorned with a new cable car, which might mean they stop calling the Penkenbahn "new" after a decade or so.
snow conditions
some snow at last Smile
snow report
Anybody out there now ???

I'm heading out there Friday night ... there's snow forecast pretty much all week but only a few centimetres (10-15) and I'm wondering whether to take my powder skis or my stiff carvers that love the ice !!
snow report
A friend of mine returned Last Sat and conditions up top where ok.
latest report
looks like ahorn and penken both had about 20cm today, making it around 40cm down the slopes, getting better Smile
snow conditions
RichA, check out the newest video here:

looks like decent snow to me Very Happy
http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/de/100195/100347/praktikanten_pistencheck_schneeverhaeltnisse.html
snow report
cheers Markus, nice site and good news all round ... looks like i'll be taking me powder skis (well, there actually my old carvers but there much softer !!)
latest report
Scotland Yard is our favourite haunt, but maybe we're getting old. 9 of us arrive next Wednesday, anyone else going to be in town?

Bob the (slow, ageing) Bullet
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
still snowing see here!

snowHead
snow conditions
I was considering doing this for my son's 18th present as a mate of mine has a DJ slot out there every year - I'm just not sure it's a little 'adolescent' for my taste??

Should I adopt the 'can't beat 'em join 'em' tactic or avoid like the plague??

Very Happy
snow report
well the snow over the last day or two has made me mayrhofen look better!

And with more snow on the forecast everything could turn out great! snowHead

Skiclub say there is 50cm on slopes and 10cm lower down towards resort, the last two days brought about 30cm on fresh white stuff. wink

Hope some more comes!
latest report
anybody on there way to mayrhofen in the next few days?

Im not going out till early march now, but im off to have an hour at the snowdome tonight at tamworth for a quick blast. not great but better than nothing!
wink
latest report
Honda Kitty wrote:
I was considering doing this for my son's 18th present as a mate of mine has a DJ slot out there every year - I'm just not sure it's a little 'adolescent' for my taste??

Should I adopt the 'can't beat 'em join 'em' tactic or avoid like the plague??

Very Happy

Would that be the Snowbombing event your friend is DJing at?

My two trips to Mayrhoffen have been to the Snowbombing event. I would suggest the join 'em tactic. Very Happy There are places to go to get away from it if it's to much.
snow report
anybody know where to find a good town map of mayrhofen? with pubs and hotels on it etc?

I've been looking but can only find crap Confused

cheers
latest report
Am going there this Saturday for 1 week. Anyone been there recently or there now who can reassure me? My travel agent told me it was one of the safest bests snow-wise, as it was near a glacier, but i feel like crying when i look at snow reports on internet (not that i'm very good at deciphering them) as it seems to be doing badly compared to the rest of europe. why do i always pick the wrong horse? Sad
ski holidays
Ridha, Snow reports are OK for Mayrhofen. I've a friend who is out there for a season instructing and he reports that the snow is good at the moment (upper slopes are the best). Forecast is for more snow in the coming week.

Mayrhofen does have a good snow record (pistes are well covered by snow cannons as well) and the Hintertux glacier is a bus ride up the valley. I'm going there in two weeks time. Very Happy

snowHead
snow report
Really? Thanks you've made me feel alot better!!

Btw, what exactly is... um... a glacier? I thought it was all flat ice, but i heard something about skiing down the glacier?
ski holidays
Ridha, From Wiki:

Quote:
A glacier is a large, long-lasting river of ice that is formed on land and moves in response to gravity

They are found on the highest mountains in Europe, and normally have quite gentle slopes. Hintertux, being one of the best in the world, has steeper slopes than most and is viewed as quite challenging with mainly red runs and a couple of blacks. That is why it is a favourite with national ski teams who train there in the summer.

You can get a ski pass to cover Mayrhofen and Hintertux - the area is called Ski and Glacier World Zillertal 3000. Look at the Hintertux website here

snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy