Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

File question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Probably one for spyderjon or other tech types? Apologies if we are retreading old ground

How many teeth per cm do I need to look for in a fine file for base filing i.e. filing down Ptex repairs etc without damaging rest of base? NOT for edge filing.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, If you're just removing excess ptex (it's not really that hard, the ptex that is) carefully use a metal scraper.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, what gsb said. The closer the angle of the base and scraper is to 90 degrees, the finer the shavings.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, what they said.

A 'mill/milled' file can be used at about 6 teeth per cm (14/15 tpi) but one slip & ya screwed. A 100mm flat surform blade could also be used.

For flattening down base repairs I prefer to use a combination of following, working from the middle of the repair outwards:
- a metal scraper
- a great little yellow plastic handled curved bladed surform (approx 60 x 30mm) for under £2 from B&Q
- a sharp 1" chisel
- medium/fine grade sandpaper

A number of stores sell £19 base rasps &/or £15 base planer's but neither beat the above which cost booger all in comparison.

If you do a lot of base repairs & you want to spend some dosh to obtain waaay better repair retention than is obtained from dripping in a candle then consider something like the lighter fuel powered Base Doc 'soldering iron' tool for properly welding in the repair material.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, If you know someone who uses a metal turning lathe they might be able get you a blade from a parting tool. It is made from HHS and extreemly hard and strong. The one I use is about 150mm long and 30mm deep, it also acts as a straight edge for checking the base.
Unlike the Toko metal scraper which bends and can cause the base to become concave, the parting tool is less likley to flex. I sharpen mine when needed on an oilstone and check that it is still true after.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kunzmann ref 3316 metal scraper - won't bend when used correctly - £3 - job done!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy