Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

should i hire in kaprun or zell am see

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all. looking at the forcast at the moment and not much room for optimism, heading to zell am see on the 20th jan and i know the snow is ok ish at the moment , but need to plan ahead if things get worse. was wondering if we (group of 10 inc 2 kids) would be better off heading to kaprun on our first morning or stickin with zell as we are staying in apartments gruner braum in zell.
reading previous reports it seems that the crowds and queue's get unbearable for ski buses in zell and the lifts+buses in kaprun when the snow is bad or avg in nearby resorts and would rather stay put and ski in poor conditions if this is the case; especially with 2 kids.
the cost of renting is 35eur cheaper in sport2000 in kaprun also!!, anyone been there when conditions were similar in the past or recently? sport2000?
advice please
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been there yet this season, so can't comment on snow conditions.....however I was there at Easter last year and was impressed with how Zell kept the resort runs open, even though there was no snow at that level.

If conditions are poor, then the ski buses will be busy and you may well have a long queue to get on the lifts at the glacier. If conditions are really bad, then people will be bussing in from other resorts in the region.

I'm not sure on the location of sport2000, but I think it is in Kaprun village? If so, you need to be aware that the glacier skiing is a couple of miles outside Kaprun...so you would be fighting the bus crowds twice. (sport2000 may have a branch at the Kitzsteinhorn...but I'm not sure)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
creedgearoid, went to Kaprun last easter, Sport 2000 a good idea as they have a shop in the village and on the Kaprun glacier, so if you have a problem you can sort it without waiting til the end of the day when you get back to village, Assuming you go up the glacier that is!
Their equipment seemed better than ours too, ours was organised by the tour operator from a different shop.
There was no snow at village level most of the week so we had to go 'up', the buses and gondolas were crammed and people push and shove, not nice, but once up there its all forgotten, until you come back down!
Zell seem to be pretty good at keeping as much open as possible when theres not much snow, we had a good downfall midweek and was able to ski back to the village one day which was good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Both Zell and Saalbach are great at keeping runs open on little or no snow. It might be a bit on the icy side but you will have plenty to ski on. I was at Saalbach at Christmas and visited Zell, but not to ski. It was fine.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks a million for the replies, much more relaxed now, bit worried as I had booked the holiday for the group.

Thanks again
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Was In Zell at crimbo on less snow than you'll have.... 65km of skiing......great time!!! went to Kaprun, its good but a little more sparse.

Stick wth Zell
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anybody back from zel/kaprun in the last few days, how are conditions since it has'nt snowed with a while? is it possible to ski back to the village or am i being way over optimistic.
what are the lift q's like in kaprun/ is it true they are busing people in from all over. are less people in zell resort for this time of year because of the conditions? arriving on the 20th
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, this is Lynne, Kev Ducky's wife. Has anyone been to the Hohe Tauhern in Kaprun? I have read the various reports etc in brochures but as in the past there idea of a kilometre isnt mine, do you know just how far away from ski bus, village centre nearest good bar etc? Is there anyone out there actually stayed here. Any info on good bars restarants more good bars will be greatfully received, love the skiing but need the Apres bit as well!!!
Going out on 27th January and counting every minute of everyday.
snowHead wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I seem to recall that I've walked past it and my guess would be that a kilometer is about right... It was a couple of years ago though, and I was trying to walk off an extremely large and tasty dinner and far too much wine from the very nicely positioned central Hotel Orgler which is 5 mins or less from everything!!!! Seriously though, Kaprun is a pretty small vilage so I wouldn't worry too much.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i went to kaprun a few years ago when there was not much snow in zell am zee and the only snow was on the glacier in kaprun. my week was alright apart from the fact that you had to get up very earl evry mornig if you didnt want to hit the morning queues which would tak about hakf hour to gt up to ski slopes. also when we were as ther was no snow i zell evryone was going to kaprun so it was very,very busy. by about midday the slopes were chucked up and were like mogul fields bumps evrywhere! i would not recommend taking your children down the run to the gondola and missing the chairlift as this is what i done and it was abig mistake. this run is not bad if it is quiet but at the end of the day it is choc a bloc and not a nice experience if you arent that good a skier. kaprun village is fairly small i stayed in the hubertosof(?) hotel and it was okay. ye you can walk through the village pretty easily only about a 15 minutes walk. i remebr the name sport 2000 but dont no location as i had my own ski, sorry. kaprun is not too bad but the skiing on the glacier is a bit limited.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
there a mcdonalds in zell so if the food pretty bad your children will be happy! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy