Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm really not a fan of wearing goggles and have always preferred sunnies. However, I am off to Canada shortly and reckon that due to the cold I would be better off wearing goggles (my eyes run terribly in cold weather & I reckon the less skin being exposed to the elements the better).
What do I need to look for in a good pair of goggles ? (my only previous experience of wearing them have been miserable steamed up affairs!)
I've seen some in Milletts for about £35, they have double lens and are yellow tinted, but really have no idea what I'm looking for.

ps. My aversion to wearing goggles is the feeling of being 'shut in' ( I know... I'm a freak!!!) so I really don't want anything that's going to cover half my face!!

Thanks as ever to all you knowledgeable SH's snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helena wrote:
I'm really not a fan of wearing goggles and have always preferred sunnies. However, I am off to Canada shortly and reckon that due to the cold I would be better off wearing goggles (my eyes run terribly in cold weather & I reckon the less skin being exposed to the elements the better).
What do I need to look for in a good pair of goggles ? (my only previous experience of wearing them have been miserable steamed up affairs!)
I've seen some in Milletts for about £35, they have double lens and are yellow tinted, but really have no idea what I'm looking for.

ps. My aversion to wearing goggles is the feeling of being 'shut in' ( I know... I'm a freak!!!) so I really don't want anything that's going to cover half my face!!

Thanks as ever to all you knowledgeable SH's snowHead

helena could be you will need a face mask to in canada at this time of year good idea to buy the right stuff in resort
are you going to east or west canada??
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spy Soldier - no problems steaming up. A bit pricey in the UK, but you can get them much cheaper off e-bay in the US (around £45-50 including postage). Go for a Persimmon lens tint for low light conditions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helena wrote:

No air gaps between the bridge of the nose and the cheeks, no air gaps at the sides, no pressure points even with a helmet on.

Quote:

I know several people that say this. Never mind the size of them, find ones where the frame isn't too visible or obtrusive. This depends a fair bit on your eye socket/orbit/cheek geometry so our recommendations are -much- less useful than your trying them on. For example, one facial claustrophobic I know had really good luck with the Briko MOZAR, which is a compact goggle, another uses, to this day, Bolle Aliens with the beaky nose extension.

Quote:
miserable steamed up affairs!)

Don't put them on your forehead to collect moisture
Don't block the vents with ill fitted face mask/hat/headband
Keep hair out of them, as it channels moisture
Don't let the face mask channel exhalation up into them
Put them on in the lodge before the door opens so the air inside the goggle isn't cold.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 10-01-07 15:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I will only wear Goggles with a helmet, I hate the tight constricted feeling of the Goggle strap. Don't get that with a lid. Plus it keeps your head warm.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought a good pair in Lake Louise after going up on a chair, steaming up my cheap goggles which then froze, leaving me a small hole in the ice to look through to ski down again!!!! Mine are Schott I think, the clip does up at the back which makes putting them on & off easier. I also don't like goggle but find them not too bad as they don't feel like they are crushing my head!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok Thanks for all your good advice. Next question... Buy here or in resort??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helena, the price difference will be minimal.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
in resort is my vote - then if you don't like them the shop may well exchange, plus you can check wihich ones work best for you for seeing the snow bumps etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
in resort gets my vote too no more shopping in the uk after all the xmas fuss plus usally better choice in canada
helena where are you off to
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Goggles are expensive in resort, even in Canada. If you've got time, try them for size/fit in Ellis Brigham or Snow & Rock etc and then buy on-line. They'll be at least 50% cheaper, if not more.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I tried loads in shop and found the most expensive - the Oakleys - were the most comfortable for me. I then bought a pair off ebay from a reliable seller for just over half the shop price. Be careful with with ebay though. I've heard some stuff that gets sold is fake - particularly in the goggle department.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like the Adidas Yodai as they have a really wide field of vision.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy