Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis, or rockhoppers?

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm booked to go away next week to Les Deux Alpes, so should I take my new Scott Missions to ski on, or my old B2s which I've relegated to rockhopper status?

Opinions please?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, B2's whatever the conditions. Step back from the dark side Luke..... Madeye-Smiley snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you take the B2's then obviously it will dump it down.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, B2's Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Both, I need the business wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Take the new ones - you need to break them in some time.

...and then when you trash them, you'll need to buy a new pair next season!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, i'm in the same position! Heading to les arcs on saturday, and don't know if i dare take my brand new shiney ones! wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer - both. It's the only way to go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Both isn't an option really.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hire- why ruin your own and pay carriage costs far cheaper to hire and if gold or above you can change skis up to 3 times in aweeks hire,i paid £59 at x-mas and was pleased i had as on day 4 i broke the bindings of the brand new atomic metrons i was using after cliping a rock and the binding tore away from the ski,the ski shop replaced the ski as the binding didnt realease at no cost, shame they where knackered as they where excellent skis and brand new,i cant understand why people who only go abroad maybe once a year buy skis seems a total waste of money when you include carriage and maintainece costs.Also if you like the skis the hire shop will sell you a brand new pair minus the original hire costs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alpe d'huez website claims 40cm of fresh at the top Confused
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, Take the new ones. Money is a tool. You have it. It can fix your skis. Why take the old ones and spend a week being fed up?

If you did completely trash them and take an edge out, you get kudos, a war story, and you can get a new pair on the same bindings.

You know you want to...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tomf, it's been debated a lot of times before, but put simply £59 * 6 weeks skiing = £354. That's getting close to the price of a pair of skis. Ski them for 6 weeks, sell them for £200, and you've saved £154.

...then again, some people hire cars...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tomf wrote:
Hire- why ruin your own and pay carriage costs far cheaper to hire and if gold or above you can change skis up to 3 times in aweeks hire,i paid £59 at x-mas and was pleased i had as on day 4 i broke the bindings of the brand new atomic metrons i was using after cliping a rock and the binding tore away from the ski,the ski shop replaced the ski as the binding didnt realease at no cost, shame they where knackered as they where excellent skis and brand new,i cant understand why people who only go abroad maybe once a year buy skis seems a total waste of money when you include carriage and maintainece costs.Also if you like the skis the hire shop will sell you a brand new pair minus the original hire costs.

Well, if you ski five or six weeks a year....

Plus ski carriage is free most of the times I've been skiing recently. The EoSB last year was the only time that I've paid it, and that was because I used easyjet.

Maintenance costs can be expensive when you end up buying your ski tech a pint every time you see him. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, At least your skis are reliable wink

Kramer, New or old - Man or mouse wink
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Both, I need the business wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Kramer i have 5 pairs of skis i use at home but at christmas i will now normaly rent as there too many stones and i also enjoy trying out the latest gear,also i dont do package holidays anymore and all the lowcost airlines do charge for carriage ,i will take my own gear at easter when we drive but otherwise i will now allways rent abroad .
latest report
Kramer wrote:
.....Maintenance costs can be expensive when you end up buying your ski tech a pint every time you see him. wink

That reminds me, I must start charging for the coffee & biscuits wink
snow report
spyderjon, I thought that you'd already budgeted for them in your prices? Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Kramer, "budget" isn't the right word! Laughing An enjoyable 340 mile round trip though...
snow conditions
Kramer, rumbled Embarassed
ski holidays
Kramer, Julian used his Missions every day last week, and the bases are fine.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
..........Maintenance costs can be expensive when you end up buying your ski tech a pint every time you see him. wink

He makes up for it with goggle sales.

FWIW, it looks as though temperatures will start to drop after a horrific high on Saturday, and maybe there'll be snow Tuesday - according to Metcheck.

You've paid for the skis anyway. If you take them, you can always hire rock-hoppers, initially - and have the Missions to hand if conditions improve.
snow report
OTOH this site suggests nothing much until 19 Jan Sad
snow conditions
Kramer, Missions - no doubt. Very Happy Very Happy I've used both fischers and Zags so far this year and no probs. Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks easiski! Looking forward to seeing you next week.
latest report
Arno wrote:
alpe d'huez website claims 40cm of fresh at the top Confused

Fresh what though?
latest report
davidof, grass. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cowdoo?
ski holidays
davidof, i did raise an eyebrow when i saw that, although easiski's pics on her LDA snow report thread make it look like a decent amount fell at altitude
ski holidays
I only ski once or twice a year but have my own skis. As I always drive, taking them is no hassle, for me I like to fact that they are my skis which I like and most importantly the convenience of not having to mess around at hire shops.

I kept the last pair for 10 years before changing them, so think I got good value!

The new ones were ex-demo from Xscape and hardly been used - £200 for skis and binding so think I got a good deal there as well. Only be a few holidays and they will have paid for themselves
snow conditions
Oh and yes I took them to Les Arcs over Christmas - had a few bumps and scrapes on them, but were made good as new by week end service
ski holidays
Kramer, Metcheck shows freezing levels dropping steadily from Sunday (after an awfully high level). But no significant snow on the horizon.
snow report
Kramer, All skis are rockhoppers ! Laughing
ski holidays
Puzzled Time for a PM to Easiski
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
davidof, i did raise an eyebrow when i saw that, although easiski's pics on her LDA snow report thread make it look like a decent amount fell at altitude

This winter 10-20cm is a decent amount and I'm sure the conditions on the Pic-Blanc were pretty good today I just figure the wind must have covered up their measuring stick.

I was almost tempted by ADH today - the touring skis are packed away for the moment and if I can get some bindings in the sale tomorrow I will mount my downhill rockhoppers and head up to Huez or even L2A next week.
latest report
davidof, If you come over, be sure to say hello or we'll be mortally offended! Shock Shock
latest report
easiski wrote:
davidof, If you come over, be sure to say hello or we'll be mortally offended! Shock Shock

well I wouldn't come for the skiing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy