Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot stretching DIY?

Poster: A snowHead
My boots fit lovely on the whole - I've worn them for prob 5 or 6 weeks skiing but I do have an uncomfortable pressure spot on the outside of each foot that makes my feet go numb. My feet are wide (close on 120mm) and I am wearing Sal XWave 9s. Does anyone have any experience of stetching boots themselved? I've got a hot air gun and am really tempted to give it a go (I use it a lot for reconditioning thermoplastic on cars and for making all sorts of things so I know how to handle this dangerous device!).
Thanks in advance. I have tried searching for a thread but got lost and the kids are driving me potty. If it's already been discussed please point me in the right direction.
Cheers folks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
petemillis, i'm going to watch this one really carefully Very Happy Very Happy

it is not just heating the boot, but having the correct shaped tools to put inside it, when we stretch ski boots we heat the area to be stretched locally and then bend the boot using a selection of shaped blocks , hydrolic presses and clamps.

you also have to be very careful about borrowing plastic so to speak, if you stretch outwards in width you can if not careful loose height or warp the sole of the boot

with a foot close to 120mm wide there is a lot of stretching to be done in an X Wave, a decent bootfitter should be able to do as much as can be done with the correct tools for a minimal cost [less than £30] and if they stuff it up then you have a bit of comeback.

the biggest problem i see is that people do not heat the boot enough [there is a fine line between hot enough for a good stretch and plastic meltdown] then do not leave the stretcher in place until the boot is fully cooled, thus the stretch reduces either staright away or over a few weeks
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm still amazed at the concept that it can be done at all. Before signing on here at snowHead 's I had no concept that the physical outer bit of the boot - the bit you look at - could be stretched and made to fit. I always thought what unweildy things they looked and assumed that the fit was down to squidging your foot into the padding - how wrong I was.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am sure CEM is right. I have a heat gun, but all the clamps I have that small are for compression rather than expansion. I think this is one bit of DIY I would personally leave to someone else. Shell punches have been the most cost-effective boot fixes I have had, and usually cost way less than £30.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I am sure CEM is right.

stoatsbrother, from what I see of the way he and SZK are revered on snowHead 's he usually is isn't he?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks folks. Just measured my foot again - closer to 116mm so maybe not too far to go.
What are "shell punches"? I'll do a google and find out.
I've just spent an hour this evening walking around in my boots and they didn't feel too bad - it's just one annoying bit sort of at the base of my little toe on each foot. I've oot all manner of different shaped tools here that I use when doing car bodywork that I'm pretty sure there's something that might be suitable just to gain an extra couple of mm. Anyone dare me to risk melting my boots? Perhaps I should do some before andafter pics - like here's a boot, now here's a black pudding......
I'm even contemplating risking physical injury by putting on several thick pairs of socks, cramming my feet into the boot really hard and then heating the area where I have a problem. I could have a bath of cold water at the ready to jump into and cool things down quicker!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
petemillis wrote:
Thanks folks. Just measured my foot again - closer to 116mm so maybe not too far to go.
What are "shell punches"? I'll do a google and find out.

http://www.blademaster.ca/products.asp?id=98
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm even contemplating risking physical injury by putting on several thick pairs of socks, cramming my feet into the boot really hard and then heating the area where I have a problem. I could have a bath of cold water at the ready to jump into and cool things down quicker!

petemillis, Well, if you do, make sure you get a video of it. We could use a good laugh now there's no snow! Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why are you considering DIY btw - a stretch is only going to be about £15 at your nearest fitter ime (granted that was a few years ago, but still)
As for the 'heat and cram - thats pretty much what the shop did to me - it's not so bad Happy

aj xx
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll def consider getting a vid of it!
Reason for DIY - couple really. First is because it's a hassle going into town - the buses from Woodingdean to Brighton are hellish and the carparks too low to fit my bus and it smells in town as well! Second it because if I can save a few quid I will (so not going to town and doing the job myself does that), and third - well I like to do things myself when possible - sort of a learning thing I suppose. But I don't want to make an expensive mistake.
It's early in the morning and I've got my tools out already Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
petemillis, there you go, heres a pile more toys to add to comprex's link

http://www.cinderellafit.net/system.php?lang=en
have fun

just one thought, are your boots new style X waves with the holes down the side if be even more carefull Shocked Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't listen to these guys, they don't have a clue.

What you need:
1. A toffee hammer
2. A microwave oven
3. A bone saw
4. A vice
5. A bottle of vodka (or similar alcohol, the purer the better)

Process:
Take your boots and put them in the microwave for 5 minutes at high. (if your microwave does not have a "high" setting, add some weed)
Pour 1 glass of vodka, add ice and drink until you hear the ping.
Remove the boots from the microwave. Oh, I hope you remembered to remove the liners before you put them in, otherwise you've just toasted them. Sorry.
So, you have your warm shells, and the liners are still lying on the floor where you left them before putting the shells in the microwave.
The shells should be warm enough to be slightly burning your hands. If they aren't, then put them in for another 1 minute, and have another vodka.

Now you need the toffee hammer. The reason you go for such a small one is that it will fit in small/awkward spaces.

Place your bare foot in the boot shell. You should feel a burning sensation. That's cause the shell is hot.
Have another vodka.

Remove your foot from the shell. Look for the burn marks. If you can't find them, tap your foot with the hammer. When you hear an "Ouch", then that's the spot. If you don't hear the "ouch", then you may already have had too much alcohol, or your hearing may be impaired. Get a friend to tap your foot firmly with the toffee hammer, and ask them to listen for the "ouch". If this fails, they can try a larger hammer or mallet.

Once you have found the "ouch area" as we technical experts refer to it, then mark it with a sharp pencil, or if you don't have one of those, a scalpel will do just as well.

Have another vodka. (you'll need this one)
(you may also need a friend for the next bit)

Place the foot sideways in the vice, tighten the vice, as this will help to flatten out the foot, and make the area for removal more pronounced. Take the bone saw, and remove the bit of the foot which you marked earlier.

Once removed, place your foot back in the boot shell.

If you have done this process correctly, you'll no longer feel the boot pushing against your foot at that point.
If not, repeat the process from the beginning, but get someone better than you to use the saw.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, You forgot to mention removing the metal parts of the shell before placing in the microwave, or the metal will cause the microwave to stop working. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, You forgot to mention removing the metal parts of the shell before placing in the microwave, or the metal will cause the microwave to stop working. Toofy Grin

boredsurfin, not all microwaves! Some just spark a bit. (see, you've shown you're not really that experienced in this whole area at all...)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I had my boots stretched, so I could have a bit more room for my pinkie. The shop stuck the shells in some sort of special fan oven, stuck solid foam pads on my feet, where I wanted more room, socks back on, liner back in the red hot shell, foot in and wait for it to cool down. Once cold remove the foam from foot and you've got that amount more room. Bloody hot for a while but it did the job.
It did'nt look like rocket science, it's just knowing what temperature and for how long I suppose.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

boredsurfin, not all microwaves! Some just spark a bit. (see, you've shown you're not really that experienced in this whole area at all...)

True, but wouldn't the whole job be easier if all those clips buckles and rivets weren't getting in the way Puzzled
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

True, but wouldn't the whole job be easier if all those clips buckles and rivets weren't getting in the way Puzzled

Well, you could try it with your slippers when you're not wearing them, smoking your pipe, and driving your Mondeo...
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, just reading what you wrote has made me feel all sort of weird and my feet are shaking. I need a vodka now and half a dozen or eight Kalms just so I can face some writing (the now even later thesis).
ski holidays
petemillis wrote:
- it's just one annoying bit sort of at the base of my little toe on each foot.

I've got that in my new boots as I'm breaking them in ( http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22417 ). I thought it was because of a seam that was faintly pressing through.

I'm wondering why you think you need the boot stretched, because you don't actually say that your feet feel cramped? Also surprised that nobody has yet mentioned getting custom footbeds Smile .
latest report
That's the thing - for the most part my feet don't feel cramped, indeed they feel possitively comfy and the boots fit them well. It is just pressure on one part of each foot. And I've well and truly broken the boots in. I can ski in them all day and put up with a bit of discomfort, but often I have a lot of pain the following morning in that one part of each foot when I'm putting the boots back on my feet. The pressure on that one part of each foot I think is cutting off a certain amount of blood supply and possibly bruising the foot a bit. And I'm pretty sure that a slight stretch in that part of the boot - just a couple of mm or so - will go a good way to help. I think I'll use the method mentioned by Spyderman and see how it goes - but rather than heating the whole boot I'll just heat up the problem area.
ski holidays
Jeraff - when I said "base of my little toe" I kind of meant the side of my foot at the root of my little toe, rather than under my toe - if that makes sense. Is that where you're having trouble as well?
latest report
petemillis, search terms for you: fifth metatarsal or 'met' head, 6th toe problem
snow report
petemillis, both my little toes go numb and it spreads back on the side and underneath. Can't pinpoint the exact pressure point because there is no pain, just numbness, but I think its more underneath than on the side.
ski holidays
comprex, thanks for the search terms - seems like quite a common problem! It's a bit of a pain really. I tried on loads of boots and the XWave 9s feel just so comfortable. It's a shame I didn't really notice the pressure on that part at the time I bought them. Still, it'll get sorted. Cheers again.
snow report
petemillis wrote:
comprex, thanks for the search terms - seems like quite a common problem! It's a bit of a pain really. I tried on loads of boots and the XWave 9s feel just so comfortable. It's a shame I didn't really notice the pressure on that part at the time I bought them. Still, it'll get sorted. Cheers again.

Not sure if I've missed it but where did you buy the boots ? Most ski shops offer free work on boots you bought from them.

I love DIY but wouldn't attempt it on my feet Shocked

Hope you get sorted,

Hairy Boy
snow report
petemillis, I'm going to suggest something here that I've tried myself on the advice of a well-known bootfitter not a million miles from this site... and it worked! I consulted him and his legal team earlier and he doesn't want to be mentioned for fear of legal action. Nor do I so, officially, you're advised not to try this Laughing

First, take liners out of boots... good idea to remove power straps as well (probably screw off at the back of the boot. Then, get a very large bowl of hot water... I used the hottest I could get from the tap so it's probably around 65 or so and definitely not boiling! Plunge boots into the water and leave for a good while... say, 5-10 mins. When you whip 'em out the clips will be too hot to handle comfortably so some gloves a good idea. Put liners back in. Put boots on. Clip 'em up nice and tight and start applying some pressure by flexing fore & aft. Keep them on for 5 - 10 mins until cool. You'll find that they'll have given a tiny bit. Repeat as necessary. 4 stubbies of cheap French lager per operation, per foot. If you want to move up to the advanced class you can always stand in the tub of water with boots on... but yer liners will get wet. We expect a full report by morning Laughing
snow report
Hairy Boy, Got them from Surf and Ski in Brighton prob getting on for two and half years ago. I'm not sure if they'd do anything on them now and would prob try to flog me more boots instead!

Bode Swiller, Quite like the idea of standing in a hottub of water with 'em on. My Mrs thinks I've lost the plot anyway what with walking around the house in shreddies and ski boots so it'll give her an excuse to have been sectioned! Mind you, I'm not the one who walks around the house butt naked in a pair of slippers and wearing a bridle......

Tomorrow morning - I'll put the boots on with some foam in my socks at the pressure point, heat the plastic up with my heat gun then clamp 'em up tightish. If that don't work....
snow conditions
Quote:

Quite like the idea of standing in a hottub of water with 'em on. My Mrs thinks I've lost the plot anyway what with walking around the house in shreddies and ski boots so it'll give her an excuse to have been sectioned! Mind you, I'm not the one who walks around the house butt naked in a pair of slippers and wearing a bridle......
hey Pete, you're among friends here. Go get some help eh. We'll look after the wife.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
petemillis, I had a similar issue with my boots a while ago. My feet didn't feel squashed or constricted in any way but I had unbearable pain along the outside of each foot and numbness after about an hour of skiing in them. I eventually went to Lockwoods and after a lot of measuring and walking around I had a couple of 6mm heel lifts fitted. The problem amazingly disappeared. Apparently my feet are slightly pronated (spelling?) so I naturally put more weight on the outsides and the heel lifts made me put more weight on my heels away from the balls of my feet. I've also read a bit about this and the Americans seem to call the issue "Da Burnin' Balls". It might be worth your while finding out if this will help you before making permanent changes to your shells. Heel lifts are just bits of dense foam which go either between the liner and shell or, in my cas, between the footbed and liner under the heel.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I'm just got Mrs M saddled up and she's now chomping at the bit...... 'ang on..day dreaming again!

hellfiresliding, I think maybe my feet are slightly pronated as well - when I used to wear heeled shoes (not high heels obviously - what with being a manly bloke - but I just wear trainers now) I found that the outside of the heel always wore quickest, and I tend to have "ten to two" feet. One thing that concerned me a bit about having a slight heel lift put in the boot to correct this is that my foot then isn't in its natural position. Mmm, not sure what best option is now. I've just measured the width of my foot at the widest part with my foot flat on the floor.And then remeasured with a thick magazine under my heel and it does make a good 2 or 3mm difference. This is all I wanted - I think you might be right.
I'll give the shop a call later on and see what they say.
Cheers
snow conditions
petemillis, what footbeds do you have in your boots?
snow conditions
If you get the pain symptoms just wearing your boots around the house and not just when skiing you could improvise a pad of folded up newspaper to put under your heel....mine are about 6mm deep...and try wearing your boots for a while with those fitted. That might give some indication of whether this is the issue. Do still ask the shop though...I certainly don't claim to be any kind of expert.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, at the moment, just the Salomon custom fit liner. Maybe I should look at other options before stretching the boot - good idea?
hellfiresliding, I have to wear them for quite a while around the house before I start getting any pain. I'll give your suggestion a go this evening and speak to the shop tomorrow.

Ta.
latest report
petemillis, yes. The custom fit liner has a bit of card for a footbed. take it out (just the footbed) and see how much support it gives your feet.

Low cost but good options would include Superfeet (Green or Wintergreen) and Conformable. I think they start at around £35. You'd be better to get them then see if you need to do anything to your boot.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, I'm going to give the Conformables a go. Surf and Ski down here in Brighton will do 'em for £40. Just spoken to the guy on the phone and he suffers from the same problem as me and is certain this will help.
So maybe no boot stretching to do after all - fingers crossed.
snow report
petemillis, I had a session in Profeet just before Xmas. Their footbeds are a great deal sturdier than Conformables or the the regular footbeds, and the fitter pointed out to me how ineffective a weedy footbed was for my enormous weight. Make sure you get something very sturdy.
snow report
richmond, their footbeds are actually conform'able with their name printed on them, they just add a block to them [which any good bootfitter will do], but it is the same product Little Angel
snow report
Thanks for the info. Just wondering about something else - as my weight tends to be on the outside of my foot I assume I am pressuring outside edge of skis more when skiing straight. Would it be worth altering the canting adjustment on the boots, or is this something that should come right with a proper footbed?
Sorry for the questions. Your advice is much appreciated. I'm on a couple of other forums (not related to skiing) and know how easy it is to spend a whole heap of time answering questions!
snow report
petemillis, foundation [footbed] first then adjust the cuff the match the profile of the lower leg
ski holidays
Super - once again, help very much appreciated. I have good feelings about the coming ski trip now. I'll feel even happier when my skis arrive from Filarinskis - especially as it looks like my 1080s are definitely going now!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy