Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a straw to clutch at ?

brian
brian
Well, nothing doing for a week or so at least, but out in FI a glimmer of hope appears !

Headline summary: colder snowy weather could sweep in from the NW in about 10 days time.

Weather babble (if anyone's interested): Last night's ECM has been backed up by the latest GFS in shifting the horrible mild HP sitting over Western Europe off out to to West towards the azores. The weather stays zonal but the track of low pressure is polar maritime (NW to SE) rather than the tropical air we've been subjected to recently and fronts get to the alps with a bit of beef about them rather than fizzling out on the Euro HP.

Still miles out so minimal confidence but at least it's a trend to watch for ....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian, sounds like it will get to you first - keep us posted! snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, I can live with hope. In fact it's about all we have at the moment! Sad Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, good spot. ECMWF has had that for a couple of runs now (I noticed it yesterday but there was no agreement from GFS so I discounted it).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Clutching??? I've got a tight hold on it, thank you very much! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave Horsley's pictures of Arabba look v.nice, which is where we're going in 1 month!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oi! that's my straw leave it alone Wink

Cheers,

Greg (departing for Engelberg on the 19th.........)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What a great thread title brian. snowHead Guaranteed to get everyone clicking and clutching....there'll be a lot of grass around by 19 January.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
kitenski, GFS 18z is your friend Greg Very Happy

19th Jan, FL lowering to approx. 1400m and heavy snow over Engelberg !

Pity it's 228 hours away rolling eyes

Actually GFS FI was a belter all round, prolonged cold over the UK, cold establishing over the alps and then meeting moisture coming off the med. If Carlsberg made medium range weather forecasts ....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can only see 12z here, which looks much better than 6z, where do you see 18z???

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_847_ens.png

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 brian
brian
It's rolling as we speak, the ensembles come out after the operational charts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, I've been watching it roll out with a wistful smile and a glass of wine, not wanting to let it see I've spotted it, lest it gets shy and legs it again. Wait for the 00z to blow all hope out of the water again... rolling eyes
latest report
 brian
brian
So the 00z ECM seems to largely stick to its guns, 00z GFS is a bit of a mess but the Euro High does break down eventually (and ends with a full blown NE'ly over Scotland, I'll be digging my car out the drive if that comes off wink ).

So the models do seem to want to shift the high, is the straw I'm still clutching at !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ECM has been pretty consistent for Thursday for a couple of days now. GFS 00z still playing around a bit but the ensembles now look a lot better off. Sniff the air,...can you smell that? There's a pattern change in the air. I hope it affects the Alps and not just northern Europe.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Damn! now it looks like there might be snow on the horizon, I'll have to start worrying about whether it will be easy to drive up to the resort, and then all the lifts will be closed because the ava risk will be through the roof wink
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
Steve Sparks, dont count your chickens, but I do like the positivity !! snowHead snowHead
snow report
all these threads hitting a positive note need this:

ANTIJINX
latest report
skanky wrote:
ECM has been pretty consistent for Thursday for a couple of days now.

Excellent, that's when I'm in Les Arcs next Smile More forecasts like this please...
ski holidays
I LIKE this thread! Very Happy
ski holidays
brian, when does it look like the high will break down ?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
skanky wrote:

Excellent, that's when I'm in Les Arcs next Smile More forecasts like this please...

I wasn't necessarily thinking about snow in the Alps on Thursday, more the large low pressure to the NW and High pressure to the SW allowing the westerlies to become more NWly and thus cooler starting on about Thursday. I may also be being overly optimistic as it's 2.5 weeks 'til I go now... wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Smokin Joe, at the moment it looks like somewhere around the 19/20 January, but I wouldn't like to try and be specific that far out.

Still miles out, so plenty of time for the forecast to get better or worse or earlier or later Confused but for the moment I'm still hopeful wink
latest report
skanky wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
skanky wrote:

I wasn't necessarily thinking about snow in the Alps on Thursday, more the large low pressure to the NW and High pressure to the SW allowing the westerlies to become more NWly and thus cooler starting on about Thursday. I may also be being overly optimistic as it's 2.5 weeks 'til I go now... wink

Spoilsport Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
skanky wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
skanky wrote:

Spoilsport Wink

I'm hoping that it will herald a new era in cooler temps. wink
snow report
skanky wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
skanky wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
skanky wrote:

Spoilsport Wink

I'm hoping that it will herald a new era in cooler temps. wink

There you go, much better!

Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skanky, me too snowHead
snow report
12z ECMWF straw's still there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
im a bit slow...please explain it me. Am i right in reading the weather over the Alps 'could' be changing around the 19/20 Jan ??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes,

Thanks, was thinking I was missing the plot here Embarassed are the models saying that last week in Jan is looking good??
latest report
Chris Brookes, Scooter, there's a suggestion - it's still a way out - that things will get better. As to how good, it's too far for details. But 19th/20th onwards is the date that we're looking at. If the models start to move it back a day or so, then I'll worry about it. Basically the jet stream looks lie it will move further south. This should bring cooler air further south as (to simplify) you tend to get cooler air to its north and warmer air to its south. It means that when the low pressure systems move through, they will have more chance of pushing the high, pressure that's causing the problems over the Alps, away to the south.
snow conditions
I don't want to come on all northwestfaceish about this, but doesn't it look like the date is going back a bit ? The GFS this morning didn't look too pretty and even the other one looked like saturday rather than the friday as it had been.

Of course, I'm depressed because I'm going on the 20th, and I really need it all to change like NOW !
latest report
GFS has put it back slightly, but we'll need a few more runs to see if it's just guessing. ECMWF hasn't changed much - the charts are 24hrly so if you compare 12z with 00z you're comparing charts 12hrs apart, so the 18th 12z is actually midday on 18th and 18 00z is midnight on 17th. Thus it may look like it's gone back a day, when it's more or less the same. I am also keeping an eye on the ridge building behind the low pressure on the 21st. Looks like a "toppler" (one that looks like it "topples" over to the right and thus only brings one day of cold weather), but even a day or two of cold weather here and there will help the pistes stand up to any heat in between.

I'm *cautiously* optimistic about it at the moment.
snow conditions
skanky wrote:

I'm *cautiously* optimistic about it at the moment.

for a complete change or a day or two change when it happens Puzzled
snow report
Chris Brookes, once the high pressure gets moved it may return, or it may open up to allow more NWlies through. No idea which, but you need that initial whatever happens, and if it's just the former it at least brings some snowfalls - which keep things going a bit longer until we get a longer pattern change.
ski holidays
skanky, very true, fingers X
snow report
please keep us updated
snow report
 brian
brian
I'm also cautiously optimistic. If you look at the GFS ensembles for the last few runs, it's been a bit uncertain about the timing of the high budging, so that moving about is not a big concern yet. The trend of it happening is fairly encouraging. As skanky notes elsewhere, ECM has been consistent on this for several runs now.

I wouldn't normally have started a thread on something so far out, but there is good agreement between the 2 models and I thought we could use a positive vibe wink
snow report
I love positive vibes...keep them coming Laughing
snow conditions
brian, yes please. We will understand, and forgive you, if it all goes haywire in the next few days...
latest report
is my lack of knowledge or does that horrible spike in temps on 13/14th looks like it will last less time than originally predicted, seems to peak then fall away almost within 12-24hrs, it was originally a much slower departure lasting to 16/17th.

I want uniform dancing from everyone from today onwards snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy