Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern snow

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know the snow situation in obertauern? Im heading there in the next few days and I cant find out if its rain or snow up there.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
somewhere I found a webcam with a view of a small plastic covered bar at the bottom of the runs, near the roads, that was the best way I found of seeing wether it was snow or rain, trouble is I cannot find the URL now, it was an unofficial one with loads of webcams from obertauren
latest report
 John Heaton
John Heaton
Hi j,

Well you could just nip off to the sites in the url's below, ....... or

Google for a free webcam program called 'Camembert' (yes really !)
Copy the text below ================ into a text file.
Open the file with Camembert

This will save the webcam images. You can then (after a while) rapidly 'rewind and fast forward' through the saved images using the spacebar and backspace keys.
If your really sad like me, you can use JPGVideo to convert these to an .avi

The possibilities are endless ....... Smile

Regards

John

Save the text between the ='s.
======================
Obertauern="http://www.gnadenalm.at/obertauern_webcam/obertauern_webcam.jpg" 60 100 0 8 0 0 ""
Obertauern 2="http://www.hotel-steiner.at/obertauernwebcam/obertauernwebcam/obertauern_gross.jpg" 60 100 0 8 0 0 ""
Obertauern 3="http://www.snowwhite.at/obertauernwebcam/webcam01.jpg" 60 100 0 8 0 0 ""
Obertauern 4="http://www.hotelleitner.at/obertauernwebcam/webcam01.jpg" 60 100 0 8 0 0 ""
Obertauern 5="http://www.cinderella.at/obertauernwebcam/webcam01.jpg" 60 100 0 8 0 0 ""
Obertauern 6="http://www.luerzer.at/webcam/alm.jpg" 60 100 0 8 0 0 ""
======================
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am just trying to see if anyone is there now or has been there recently and knows if it snowed there or if it is just raining
ski holidays
 John Heaton
John Heaton
j,

It should be fairly clear if you check the webcams during daylight hours.

John
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
j, http://www.obertauern.com/ there are live video webcams. It was raining yesterday, snow forecast for Friday, depths now 60cm and 90cm- ski club report says runs packed but good. We are going 24th of Feb so watching carefully! If it's going to snow anywhere in Austria it will be there, but then everyone else will get bussed in from other resorts.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lots of cams here:

http://www.huettenzauberer.info/webcams.htm
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DRHOSKING, those are great, thanks, shame they don't put them on the main tourist office site. At least you can see the conditions for real !!!! Counting the days and keeping my fingers crossed!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DRHOSKING, great views, I shall add them to the webcam sticky.
snow report
 John Heaton
John Heaton
DRHOSKING, Excellent site, thanks. My daughter went there last year with her school at Easter and is off there again this year. I spent quite a while setting up the webcam recordings for her. It's interesting to watch the conditions change as you zoom forward and back covering several weeks in a few minutes. The 'panning' webcams are new to me and I'm sure she will be glued to the screen for the next few weeks when she sees them !

John
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How can you tell what the skiing conditions are by looking at those webcams? I see grey and grainy shots of some hotels or a small white piste. and others that are completely blocked by what? rain?,fog?, snow?, someone's glove?. Also I usually can only check them at night so all I see is black. I am looking for snow to try and salvage my ski trip and I was wondering if they got snow up high on the mountain or did it just rain all the way up.

The forcast for friday is rain and 2-7 degrees. Is that in the base? Because higher up it might be snowing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
what do you need to "salvage? I'd say Obertauern is 100% open, from looking at the webcams at 09:15am today, it's dumping really hard with snow at village level. All the roads are now covered with snow, they were "bare" yesterday.

The local website says "Snowfall will die away in the afternoon, then the skies will clear slowly."

There is a base of 60-90cm of snow, I'd say you'll have a great time Very Happy

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, problem is though, the temperature is rising on Saturdayto +2 min +9 max, which isn't great. j, The webcams stop at about 3.15 pm, (on the tourist offices site) so even though the pop ups may appear black, just click on it and it should show you what was going on just before the cams stopped, (can take a few seconds though). But fingers crossed that the snow will be thick enough to withstand the Saturday warmup
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon, that should be a little blip though, with it cooling down afterwards, which although it may damage the lower snowpack, I do think the resort will still be skiable!!
snow conditions
 John Heaton
John Heaton
j, Maybe you would have prefered the days before webcams and forums (maybe you did!). Certainly made for less stress pre-hols wink
snow report
John Heaton, ahh, but they are so useful for last minute give away holidays!
ski holidays
Well I guess the internet is useless for finding out ski conditions. I decided to do it the old fashioned way and called them. They said they got 10cm last night. Hopefully it didnt get too warm today. Just enough to cover up those rocks. Dust on crust anyone?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have just booked our hotel for 21st to 26th and the receptionist tells me the snow on the piste is good, light rain is forecast tomorrow but snow forecast sun, mon, tues, wed and thurs!!!! yippee!!!!
snow report
northantsred, But their own tourist office website is predicting persistent rain for saturday then it's warming up to +10. Yet from snow-forecast.com "3 Day Forecast for 2350 m issued at 6 pm Thu 18 Jan :-WEATHER SUMMARY: A moderate fall of snow, heaviest on Fri morning, Freeze-thaw conditions (max 1°C on Sat morning, min -6°C on Sat night) Winds decreasing (severe gales from the WNW on Thu night, light winds from the W by Sun morning)" But that's at the top station, so rather confusing! Lets hope the severe gales don't blow away what does fall. Sad Let us know when you get back what it's really like.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.skiworld.at/deutsch/wetter-obertauern.htm

I wish i could copy and paste a link, DOH!!!! This is were my info came from. It does look as though there will be wind all week though.
latest report
Hi I was in Obertauern from 4th Jan to 16th Jan. From speaking to locals conditions in Obertauern were better than most other Austrian resorts. Skiing was good whilst we were out in Obertauern. The early days of the holiday we had great conditions but by Wednesday 10th after rain on the tuesday and freeze-thaw weather, conditions were starting to get icy and swept. The resort needed snow and it came that night, about 15cms which freshened things up abit. The skiing for the rest of the week was good but the winds were picking up and that left the gamsleitin2 lift shut for a couple of days and then as we were leaving Obertauern it was clear things were warming up, how that has left the pistes now I don't know. But I do know you will definatley get plenty of skiing in up there and if the temp drops and you get some snow you will definatley have a great time. I was worrying about conditions before I arived in the resort but once out there all my fears drifted away. As sharon1953, says
Quote:

If it's going to snow anywhere in Austria it will be there
she is right.

You'll have a great trip, Obertauern has always been a good bet for snow snowHead where are you staying??
latest report
Thanks for that info. Much appreciated. We are staying in Hotel Snowwhite. Did you see it and is it as central as it looks? We have had the flights for sometime and only took the decision to go to Obertauern this week because everywhere else looks so grim! Where did you stay?
snow conditions
northantsred, yes I saw hotel snow white nearly every night. You are in what I can only describe as a fantastic position near the lurzer alm which is good/very lively for apres ski and I'm pretty sure you will be putting your skis on at your door in the morning and skiing to your nearest lift and also skiing back to your door or the lurzer alms door in the evening. I stayed in the Haus Alpenrose apartments which were on the main street above a supermarket. Fantastic value apartments with lift pass included run by a lovely family and very close to the gamsleitin lift which takes you up the opposite side of the valley to the one you will go up in the mornings. You can ski around the whole ski circuit two or three times in a day and there are some good mountain restaraunts on the hill and some great restaraunts in town, I can recommend the Latschalm restaraunt which is very very near your hotel. Also if you fancy a walk up the main road out towards the banks in the direction of the gondola you will come to nanubar which was pretty chilled. But where you are staying seems to be where it all happens.

You have made the right decision picking Obertauern you will have no probs, have you got your transfers from Salzburg sorted its an hours drive max. I don't know how to link in photos in the threads (I need to learn how!!) but if you need your mind putting at rest I can email you some pretty good photos taken from on the mountains if you pm me your email address.

Any more info needed give me a shout. Very Happy
ski holidays
Alpinebullit. Thanks once more that sounds all good to me. No need for photos because i have been monitoring web-cams. Today it looks like the resort is closed, rain and i am assuming strong winds. Temps are due to drop from sunday, can't wait now as I have just completed my work!!!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
northantsred, Enjoy.
ski holidays
Alpinebullit, thanks from me too, we are going on 24th Feb from Manchester with SkyEurope, taxi booked through airport website, very reasonable 198 EUR including vat for a return journey (split between 4 of us) We are staying at the Gamsleiten (near the lift of that name) which I think looking at the village map, is at the other end of the resort from the Snow White, keeping our fingers crossed that it's as good as one we stayed in last year in Hinterglemm. The emails are flooding in now with reports of lots of snow for the week ahead, so it's looking like things are finally picking up Very Happy Have a great time northantsred,
snow conditions
sharon19553, i was in hinterglemm for new year and had a great time. we stayed in a hotel actually called hotel hinterglemm!!!

Tell me did you not consider hiring a car for the week because it would cost no more that the sum you have paid for the taxi? And as i understand things if the snow is good you could always visit other local resorts using your own transport, because the skiing does not look extensive at obertauern.

thanks for your comments and if i remember to, i will give you my thoughts when i return........bye.
snow conditions
northantsred, What a coincidence, that's the same hotel we stayed in, booked it all online, it’s the best we have ever been in, should be 5 star, but I guess it would need a pool and a larger lounge to get that, but the food was unbelievable and the rooms fantastic, we had the whole front balcony to ourselves as there were 7 of us. When I can get to grips with my skiing, we intend to go back there. Hiring a car is not something we have ever considered, with all the fuss about snow chains and trying to fit all our gear in, we would probably need to use a people carrier, and they are quite expensive. We are social skiers, so not first on the slopes or last off, so can't see us travelling to another resort. We thought Obertauern would be a little less testing than Saalbach/Hinterglemm, but as I say, we intend to revisit at some time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953, , you will have a great time. I stayed right by the Gamsleiten lift, a great location you can easily be the very first person on the lift up in the mornings which I was on a number of days also your pretty much guaranteed to be able to ski right back to your door. It is also woth knowing that they open the Gamsleitin1 and Gamsleitin2 lifts early every wednesday morning (an 8am start instead of 9am start) These are the only lifts that they open early in the resort so you can be up on the mountain really early in the morning, there are some great views from the top of the Gamsleitin2 lift, take your camera. Also staying by the Gamsleitin means you are pretty much near the nightlife and good few restaurants. There are also a few good mountain restaurants and the mountain huts are great for stopping off in and recharging the batteries with a coffee or something stronger Toofy Grin .

I'm sure you will have a great time, Obertauern is a good snow sure resort with a short transfer to the airport allowing you to maximise your skiing time. Have a fantastic time and enjoy, I wish I was back there now.

sharon1953, as with northantsred, if you need anymore information, recommendations or photos just let me know.

All the best for your trip.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well sharon, that is a coincidence and i agree the hotel is one to recommend. I booked all ours direct too, there are 5 in our family. But this trip to obertauern is with three freinds and it looks as though the weather is about to improve. Here's hoping. We fly at 7.00am tomorrow and should be skiing by 1.00pm Very Happy .
latest report
Alpinebullit, Well I chose the hotel because (a) the price was right and (b) it's not far from the Edelweiss lift which links into the Green circuit. I know the Gamsleiten connects to the Pink circuit but that might be a bit much for 2 of us in the party. I keep hearing reports about the runs being difficult to find as they don’t use numbers or names on the mountain, so how does one find their way around?
ski holidays
Alpinebullit, northantsred, sharon1953, I have just been browsing this thread and Obertauern has whetted my appetite to go there for a few days next week! I usually go to places I am familiar with, but they are lower altitude, so are a bit snowless at the moment. Does anyone of you know the Berghotel Sonnhof --on the slopes? As we'd only be going for 2 or 3 days, I prefer to be right on the slopes, and don't mind a quiet evening! Smile
snow report
sharon1953, I know the Edelweiss lift as well, you will have no problem getting to either that lift or the Gamsleiten lift from whichever side of the road you are staying on. I don't think you will have any problems with runs from from the Gamsleiten1 lift, there is a blue which runs right to the valley floor and across the road to link up with the circuit. If you worry about the pink circuit for a couple of you avoid going up the Gamsleiten2 lift up to one of the black runs, it can be quite tough and icy. However if there are some stronger skiers in your party, tell them to get up the Gamsleiten2 lift especially after snow fall (if open) there is abit of good off piste up here but it gets tracked out pretty quickly.

The circuit is very well linked round the mountain and to be honest the skiing in Obertauern isn't too difficult. Don't worry about finding your way around everything is linked and after a day on the slopes we didn't need to use a piste map. Your right they don't really use numbers or names on the runs themselves, however all the lifts are cleary signposted from the tops or runs, so its quite easy to know where you are going once you've decided what lift in the circuit you are heading for. You can see most of the whole area from both sides of the valley and there is normally a couple of runs to choose from the top of each lift.

One to avoid, I often saw people using a track under the Angerbahn chair to get to the Hundskogelbahn chair, this track looked hard work and even if you carry your speed you ain't gonna make it without a poling or walking session. Instead take a left just after the Edelweisshutte and use the track down to the Zentralbahn chair, this is a much better track and although you still have to carry your speed, poling and walking is not needed!! Then take the Zentralbahn chair, at the top ski off the back towards the Kringsalbahn area and Hundskogelbahn chair. It just means you do more skiing and less walking. You will see what I mean when you have a ride on the Angerbahn chair and look down and see people huffing and puffing underneath.

Don't worry though It is a really easy resort to find your way around skiing wise, you will have no problems. I've always also found all the hotels and apartments that I have stayed in, in Austria to be of good standard and the food out in Obertauern was lovely.

Again you'll love it, Hope this helps and makes abit of sense!! I've got my fingers crossed for snow for you.
snow report
Julieanne, I ate in the berghotel sonnhoff for quite a few lunches whilst out on the slopes of Obertauern. Its in a fab location, above the village in the middle of the slopes. Whilst having lunch here I got a really good feel for this hotel and the lunch time staff were very friendly and the food was beautiful. If I was going to Obertauern to ski for a few days or weekend I would stay here without a doubt, fantastic location and you would be first on the slopes every morning for definate, also where this hotel is situated is great for hitting a number of good lifts early in the day. This hotel is truly ski in ski out without walking anywhere. The area of Obertauern would be good for you for a few days, you could pretty much ski it out in 3 days I reckon.

I'm at the moment looking to get off back to the mountains again and if it starts snowing again I'd be off like a shot back to Obertauern and guess what I'd stay here, if you've got a car there are also a number of other resorts within a short driving distance of Obertauern.

I say book it and enjoy. snowHead
latest report
Alpinebullit, you have me even more intrigued now....go on show me your snaps please!
snow report
How do you upload them???
snow conditions
Alpinebullit, sorry pal you are asking the wrong fella1
ski holidays
Alpinebullit, Thanks a lot-- I am really tempted to book it now! Maybe I shall pm you to tell you if I have got flights etc--I may phone the hotel also soon. Would be great to stay in same hotel as another SnowHead! (I believe you can upload photos in the Media Zone-- there is a thread about it with instructions --somewhere)
latest report
Julieanne,
Berghotel Sonnhoff realy is in the middle of the slops there is no road in
People staying normaly get taken up on skido they also have their own lift for getting food/ beer etc up from the road

Its started to snow today Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Two weeks till I am there staying in the Steiner
latest report
Garfield, It's sleeting too, snow-forecast.com is predicting for the next 6 days loads of the white stuff, and temperatures of -29 ! so lots of layers needed Smile 4 weeks & 6 days to go for us.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy