Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footbeds - a fitting question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I hope this makes sense!

I seem to recall a while back reading a thread here that discussed a couple of methods of forming footbeds, one of which was seen as better than the other. I recall the poorer method involved sticking the toes up as the mould was formed but I could be mistaken.

Can any of the experts here enlighten me about this and tell me whet the best method of forming a footbed is?

The reason for my enquiry is that I have a pair of reasonably new boots bought in November (have now used them for I guess a week and a half) and I'm concerned about the fit, particularly the footbeds. I was away for a week over Xmas and experienced a lot of discomfort coupled with fairly sloppy skiing. Although by the end of the week I found I was more able to tighten the boots enough to get a better fit (and better skiing) without too much pain I still had to release my buckles every time I stopped for a lift to avoid half my right foot going numb. I may be off for a week in February and I really don't want to experience the same again so am a little concerned.

Any advice gratefully received Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roga,

i remember that thread...sure someone will dig it up....

there are several ways to build a good footbed, the method you are talking about is the windlass position, if used correctly there is no real issue with this technique, however it will not work for everyone.

i favour making footbeds either non weight bearing or semi weight bearing as it is easier to control the foot position that i am looking to maintain.

when you make a footbed in weightbearing [standing with weight on the foot] the foot can pronate [arch collapse and foot splay outwards] the windlass position is used to counteract some of this collapse, but as i said you need the correct amount of control for this to be fully effective.

has your footbed got some kinds of block on the back of it, this is an integral part of the the footbed and reduces roll of the product in the boot, depending on the amount of collapse of your foot, your body weight and your skiing level this block could be quite minimal or it could be very solid extending all the way through the arch to the ball of the foot..

All in all the footbed could be responsible for the problems you are suffering but it sounds to me a bit like it is eirther a volume issue in the boot itself [not enough space in one area and too much somewhere else]

or something going on with your foot that the fitter has not picked up on

hope this helps a bit, as ever if you need more feel free to ask Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that CEM. Smile

Yes, it's windlass I recall that being mentioned now.

This is the method that was used with me and I don't think it was done particularly carefully - the bloke just told me to bend my knees into a skiing position and stick my toes as far as I could into the air, I was then left for however long it took for the mould to form. It was very uncomfortable standing like that and I had a few wobbles as I was unsupported. After this he made up the footbeds and put them in the boot. I've been back to the shop (S&R in Bristol) a couple of times to get more fitting done and another of their people discovered tha the footbed hadn't actually been cut to the right length, it ws too long, and was rising up at the front and deforming the inner boot, this had caused me enourmous problems in early December on the cairnmgorm when I literally couldn't turn properly. Anyway the footbed has been cut correctly properly now and the right boot has been expended slightly to take presure off this foot because it was excruciating before doing this, it's now better but there is still a lot of discomfort and I find half my foot goes numb if Ihave the boot buckled up anything like as tight as they need to be.

I was finding that the boots were pushing me too far forward as well (again I'm suspecting this could be partly the footbed) to the extent that it was uncomfortable standing in them without skis on. I've now removed the rear spoiler on the boot and it has helped to allow me to take up a more natural skiing stance and to stand in as much comfort as I had in my previous boots.

The footbed does have a block at the back of it, yes.

Volume could be the problem, I've pretty much always had problems with my feet in boots, particularly the right hand one, and I although I explained this carefully to the fitter I'm not sure he was experienced enough to work out exacly what to do. I rather get the feeling the boot is too narrow at one point and is pressuring my foot too much and perhaps cutting blood supply (hence the numbing). They have widened it a bit but it seemed like a fairly ad hoc aproach and although subsequently the boot has been better it's not great.

So, what should I do now - is a week and a half of skiing long enough to break boots in or should I give them longer before perhaps getting more fitting done?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
roga, Sounds like they need a little more attention Little Angel sorry
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ okay, question now is do I go back to S&R where they don't seem to have that much expertise or do I go elsewhere for an expert fit?

Would someone elsewhere with more expertise be liable to better diagnose and fix the problem?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
roga wrote:
Would someone elsewhere with more expertise be liable to better diagnose and fix the problem?

Possibly.

There's a guy called CME or MEC or something like that - posts on here occassionally. Has a shop in Bicester.

He's worht getting in touch with! Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ lol

Bicesters doable from Brizzle for sure...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the thread you're thinking of is this one

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=455349&highlight=windlass

and by the way, when I had my orthopaedic footbeds made the chappie had me lie on the bed and dangle my feet over the end so he could take a plaster cast of them while non-weight bearing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ thanks for that, yes that's the thread.

There seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion with regards the windlass method of creating footbeds - I have a suspscion that with my awkward feet it's not been done carefully enough, hence my problems. It wouldn't surprise me if my boots are also problematic too as suggested above but I do have this strong feeling the footbeds aren't right.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
roga, put 10 experts in a room and you will probably get 11 opinions, footbeds and orthotics are a bit like this, different methods of coming up with a similar outcome Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM, I prefer to put in any boot, a ten day dead Mackerel. Ridged and disguises the smell of feet. The Eleventh answer i assume!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, how much are the mackerels?

This could be the answer I'm seeking! Wink

CEM, basically at the moment my old boots (and they're about 10 years old) were/are better than the ones I'm struggling with now so I'm either going to have to get them sorted or am going to take them back under the S&R comfort guarantee. The old ones weren't perfect but at least I was skiing in them like I'd had a few years of experience rather than a few weeks!

I'm actually thinking of popping over to Bicester with them - do you think you can help?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roga, difficult to say until i see them and your feet, but if it is possible i would hope we can help Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ no worries, I'll PM you to see when is a good time to drive over. Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy