Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Orelle property

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if anyone else has received the e-mails regarding Orelle (link below - don't know how to make active).

Anyone been to the actual village that could provide a little more information? I appreciate that it isn't that integrated into the three valleys but from the sounds of it the resort provides good off-piste and also an excellent fast lift up to Val Thoren.

Looks good value and perhaps a good investment.........?

http://www.ernalowproperty.co.uk/accommodation-overview.aspx?qs=productid_e_107246
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rooney, There seems to be a big lift up into the fourth valley of the 3 V, which looked like the nicest skiing at Val T when I was there last year. Good cafe at the top of the lift. I don't know if you can ski back to Orelle, but you couldn't at the end of April. Looking at the map it appears to be on a busy road, but may be slightly off it. I couldn't make the link work either I tried http://www.orelle.fr and got their website which is sweet, with some lovely "french" englishisms. Seems like a nice quiet place - I'm thinking of going there next NY!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not much actually in Orelle, Lift is just outside the town/village on the main road. Takes about 20 mins on the Orelle gondola to get to the ski area, Can be very weather dependant, they will close the gondola if the wind picks up, which can be a bit of a problem if your already up there.
Strictly speaking there is no run back down from Orelle to the valley floor, but if the lift is closed, you end up skiing down the access road as far as the snow goes, then jumping on the back of a tractor/trailer/skidoo etc to get down the last bit. Apparantly the lift company have a responsibility to get you down if they shut the lift.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rooney, as srobbo, said, the lift is not in the village but on the main road between St Jean and Modane - there is a big car park opposite the lift and at peak times can be busy. This is a short drive from Valmeinier/Valloire and the couple of times I have driven down, the lift has been shut (might explain the busy car park). That said, I have skiied to the top of the lift from VT a number of times and the lift has always been running.

The towns around Orelle are not ski resorts so more authentic if you want to stay somewhere French and there are several ski resorts in the Maurienne within 30-40 minutes drive if you have a car - it's an area that often gets overlooked but has some great skiing.

http://www.maurienne-tourisme.com/villes-stations-ski-savoie-alpes.asp
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rooney,
I have no idea what would make a good investment or not, but personally I would think twice before having a place in Orelle.
I have only been on a couple of day trips from elsewhere in the Maurienne so cannot add much to what has been said bysrobbo, andSHello,

The village is right at the bottom of the valley which is fairly steep sided and in winter as opposed to spring probably does not get very much sun. The resort is also fairly low and on the south facing slopes so I would imagine that it is rare to be able to ski back down a long way on the path although it is shady. it is certainly not a piste.
The links to Val T are very high and probably subject to frequent closure in bad weather.

Having said that the skiing in the Orelle valley is good, but if I were looking to buy or holiday I would probably go elsewhere in the Maurienne with a few trees around and then look for days out in Orelle. One note of caution there were some reports of poor construction in one of the Maurienne resorts earlier last year with buildings failing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd seen this before & had reservations about the weather dependent link. If the lift over the top is closed its a very expensive cab ride home from Val Thorens and your guests wouldn't thank you for days when they coulkdn't even get up the hill.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi there, would I be right in thinking that if you miss the ski lift back down the mountain that there is no bus link back, would you have to get a taxi or is there a ski route back? If so how long do you think it will take?
Thanks K Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KateAssetz wrote:
Hi there, would I be right in thinking that if you miss the ski lift back down the mountain that there is no bus link back, would you have to get a taxi or is there a ski route back? If so how long do you think it will take?
Thanks K Puzzled

Yep miss the last lift back down and you have a couple of choices:
Find accomodation in Val T

Taxi from Val T to Orelle - about 3 hours and £200, (know somebody who missed it a couple of years ago, but had the van keys in his pocket, everybody else made it in time, but then couldn't get anywhere)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh no, that sounds terrible! Laughing Best not to miss the last lift then! wink
Cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy