Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what age do kids start to learn to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
we started our oldest at just over 3- 1:1 hour long lessons for about 2 weeks at the end of April- he did fine an dloved hot chocolate. At this age I think that lessons are useful- becuse otherwise your back will be f**ked from bending over with them between your knees.

Propoganda helps- skiing posters in bedroom, skiing dvds now and again instaed of more pOstman Pat.

Since then 1 week in a ski garden type place- aged 4, then 2 weeks aged 4 late April with a group- eah for mornings.

He really enjoyed both- but in ealy January it was cold a dthis can be a problem.

Continence is an important factor-hot legging when its real cold outside is not a good idea- and temprament.

By then end of the last holiday Ben at 4 was holding his own with the rest ofthe group- upto 9yrs skiing blue runs without problem.

One of the best days in my lif eso far was taking him for half a day (he got cheered by a friendly group of Scots on a stag week).

I think that apart from physical ability some important factors are; continence-see above, separation anxiety (you and them), ability to follow instructions (from adults oter than parents) climate (-12 in January not good
+18 in April fab) and ability to have fun-

oh and when both me and the wife took Ben out (aged 4) he started to ski off (well and in control) quuite quickly- but far too quickly for Elaine- sh eskiied down and jumped on top of him- tears all round!!

ps RobW- your son is a star.

pps shared a chalet in Chamonix with a very lovely family from Edinburgh - dad took 5 yr old down Point de Vue (unpisted black down from top Grand Montets) in about 50cm of fresh - both arrived tried, happy and thankfully as alive as when they set off (balls the size of small planets) older children skied very well indeed. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isn't it great how many of us are skiers with kids?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, no.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond, why? Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anniepen, because he's Richmond and likes to FISH! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, Is FISH an acronym?? Confused Am I irretrievably naive? Should I leave well alone? Am I going to be sorry I asked this? wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, just answering the question.

Anniepen, 'fishing' means (I think) posting in the hope of eliciting a strong reaction from fellow posters. Not true in this case, I just answered the question, rather facetiously and pointlessly. I don't think it is particularly great that so many of us have kids (no offence to Megamum intended). It's not particularly bad either, it's just one of those things.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond, I meant from the perspective that we can all discuss the pros and cons and get advice like we are doing here.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond, Laughing

I took it that IMegamum, meant that it was great that so many of us are giving our kids skiing opportunities that we were (probably) never given. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went to Soll last year with our daughter who was 5 years old (just).

She enjoyed it but preferred the kindergarten group where she did some indoor activities and then outdoor activites which included some ski lessons. This suited her better than full on lessons, which in Austria last for 2hours morning and 2 hours afternoon - this was too much for her.

She still learned to ski by halfway through the week - good snowplough turning and very controlled.

She is now 6 and we're off to Flaine on March 31st where I'm hoping she'll do better with the 3 hour morning only classes. She'll probably be better than me by the end of the week Very Happy

PS. never use gloves - always mitts with kids. They can pull Mitts on and off by themselves and they tend to keep their fingers warmer - with gloves you'll be helping them all day long, very frustrating. Mitts, Mitts, Mitts everytime.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, actually I agree and think it's great having a thread like this. It's really useful to get advice from other parents on how they go skiing with their kids.

We're going to try our 3 year old on skis again this season. We had a bit of a try last season with borrowed boots and skis when she was 28 months or so but she kept tipping backwards when she was on her own so I was ploughing while holding her up. I don't think her legs were strong enough. To be honest I think she enjoyed the magic carpet best! Laughing The main thing for me is that she has fun so when we try again this season we'll start with some short half hour sessions and some snowplay and we'll see how she goes from there. I don't think I'd want to put her in ski school until next season.

Hairy Boy, definitely agree on the mitts - that's all I have for our little one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mitts with long string threaded down arms of suit.....(one piece)

Thredbo ski school takes them from 3 years IF they are toilet trained.... most are fine - but they are taken in regularly for warm drinks and lunch and kept inside reading stories etc after lunch before going back out....

interesting though how many of the "three year olds" will tell you they are three while holding up TWO fingers(all these poor counters seem to be quite on the small side as well)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
richmond, I meant from the perspective that we can all discuss the pros and cons and get advice like we are doing here.

I know, I was just passing an idle moment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i started at 5 but there are some people which have a physically better body at 3. I had many joint problems at a young age.

My sister started at 3/4 although she apparently had difficulty concentrating and carrying skis.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tom Lowe, All kids that age have difficulty concentrating, and most will say they can't carry their skis if Mummy and Daddy are foolish enough to believe them! Rubbish - they can and they will!! Shocked Laughing I've just said goodbye to one (6) - could do it all when it was just me and her, but as soon as M & D arrived - she was miss prissy useless!! rolling eyes
snow report
easiski, what's the best way for little kids (6yr olds) to carry their skis? We carried their skis last season but are intending they carry their own this season.
ski holidays
when they were little my kids found the sling type things quite helpful, but we don't bother now (in fact I think I still carried Zit 3's skis on our last trip and she is 10 - but it was more for speed than anything else). If you want, I can let you have a lend of ours for your next trip and you can try them out.
latest report
slikedges, mine carried theirs (and sometimes still do) cradled in their arms. Dangerous for everyone else, of course, but it worked for them. A velcro tie for keeping the skis together can be handy.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, ta, I was thinking of buying sling thingies - lots of types, never tried any of them - as much to make it easier for them as for myself when I end up carrying all of them anyway! wink

richmond, yes mine favour that, I've been trying to get them to carry them on their shoulders but am far from convinced I'm right. The tie is a good idea - must find some - I'm sure I've got them somewhere... Very Happy
snow conditions
Thinking about it, cradling is probably no more dangerous than over the shoulder or under the arm (like a shot gun, my preferred method).
snow conditions
Thinking about it, cradling is probably no more dangerous than over the shoulder or under the arm (like a shot gun, my preferred method).
ski holidays
Our 9 year old has carried his own skis since day one (aged 4) _ Old enough to ski, old enough to carry them has been our maxim - evil old hag that I am! But he does find the velcro strap that 'fell off mine and landed in the pocket' a couple of years ago very useful.
snow report
slikedges, Deffo in the arms if you don't have any aids. their shoulders are usually too narrow to rest the skis on. No sticks is deffo best too. If they insist make them carry the skis and the sticks - that will probably cure them! Very Happy
snow report
I guess kids must find their skis as weighty as we do - I was actually quite surprised at the weight of my hire ones myself. I think my 6 old carried her's last Feb, I believe if memory serves that she cradled them sort of under one arm and held across the body with the other hand, anyhow I decided it was probably easier if she worked out for herself the easiest way to do it. Mind you I must confess that no-one ever told me the best way to carry mine. I discovered that if I held them upright in my hands the weight soon became too much and pulled them through my grip, so in the finish I watched everyone else for ideas and ended up with them over my shoulder, however reading Richmond's comment on here
Quote:

cradling is probably no more dangerous than over the shoulder or under the arm

I now wonder if this is the done thing Puzzled
Maybe I try to get some of these velcro ties that you're mentioning, they do seem to be the most awkward things to manoevre, though I did get on much better once I discovered that you could kin-of lock the bindings against each other by sliding the second in against the first - that's the thing as a newcomer to this sport, all these little things you all take for granted we've still got to learn. The kids got on better once I did it to theirs.
ski holidays
Megamum, however you carry the damn things, other thasn verticallly upwards, there's a danger of belting a passerby with them. Caveat passerby is my approach. The ideal way is to get someone else to carry them, but I've never managed that. I find the under the arm shotgun carry the most comfortable and the easiest to control, the kids favour the cradle. The OL sticks 'em over her shoulder. Bindings do sort of clip together in a desultory fashion, but that's not very secure, the skis easily pivot apart; a velcro tie stops them from doing so.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy