Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking Ski Boots On Holiday..

Poster: A snowHead
This may be a somewhat stupid question - if it is, i apologise for this!

This season is the first season that i will be taking my own ski boots on holiday. Do people normally check them into the hold with their luggage or try and get them on as kand luggage?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check them in with your luggage.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
magic_hat, Some Carriers won't let you take them on as hand luggage (Lufthansa made us chek them in last year). Some will. Best to check beforehand if you are not planning to check them in. Some posters here reckon they have WORN them Shocked , wouldn't chance it myself Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
magic_hat, what you can take really depends who you fly with Confused With Ryanair for example, you pay per bag, so would want to get your boots into another bag with your clothes (and keep it all below 15Kg).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro, I came back with Ryanair last Thursday from Friedrichshafen. Both myself and girlfriend were overweight with boots in checked in bags, reorganised clothes into hand luggage but still a little overweight but Ryanair person let us go as wanted flight to go off on time. I don't know about Ryanair's policy re boots in hand luggage but I think they may try and charge extra if they knew you had boots, but how would they know when they are in a bag?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We mamaged to pack our boots with normal luggage ans still stay under the 15kg Ryanair limit - we did keep everything else to the absolute minimum though!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice.
I'm getting to the airport fairly earcly (some of our party are on an earlier flight) so i'll have time to make enquiries and re-jig luggage if necessary.

I'm with BMI Baby to Geneva.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magic_hat, If you check them into the hold, they make excellent containers for fragile items - sunglasses etc. Just make sure you remove them before you put your boots on !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
magic_hat, From BMIbaby's terms and conditions page:

"...The total Checked Baggage allowance is 20kg per person irrespective to the number of bags taken. If you exceed this limit you will be charged an additional £5/€8 per kilo. There is no baggage allowance for infants, although a pram/buggy will be carried free of charge. Each Passenger may check-in up to five items of checked baggage.

Passengers may not use the unused checked baggage allowance of other passengers. No pooling/sharing of the checked baggage allowance is permitted, even within a party travelling on the same Confirmation Number.

One item of hand baggage per person, weighing no more than 10kg and with dimensions of less than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, may be carried into the aircraft cabin (restrictions apply please see below for details)...
<snip>
....Leisure equipment which requires additional handling including (non exhaustive list) canoes, surfboards, golf clubs, skis, (ski or board shoes and poles are carried free of charge if carried with the relevant skis or snowboard), bicycles, musical instruments will be charged at £15 (€24) per sector per item. These items will be carried subject to space availability on the aircraft and sports equipment bags must only contain the items for practising the sport"

I'd say putting boots in your hand luggage would be risky based on both size and weight.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers All. Much appreciated.

I reckon i'll be checking them into the hold. Quite good of BMI Baby to allow the luggage allowance to be irrespective of the number of bags

ski, Thanks for the tip! I'll do that!

AxsMan, Cheers for digging that out!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AxsMan wrote:
I'd say putting boots in your hand luggage would be risky based on both size and weight.

Has anyone been asked at check-in do they have ski boots in their bags? I think this is a money making scam to get you to pay extra when you book online. In reality why should you have to pay extra for something like ski boots that fit into a normal bag? Don't declare them and don't pay extra unless you like burning money.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We now stick them in our suitcase, but we take a case each instead of just 1 between 2, or 2 between 4.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Ross, I agree. It's not the fact that they are ski boots, it's the size and weight that matter. My boots don't fit into a bag that is "55cm x 40cm x 20cm" and they weigh nearly 7 kilos on their own which is why I described trying to carry them on as 'risky' wink snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've carried my boots as hand luggage on Ryanair a few times, although not since the new daftness at security came in though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AxsMan, I think mine weigh 5.5 kilos but with a bag weighing approx 5 kilos also there is not much left for luggage! Although I suppose I could pay the extra bag fee. There should be scales in airports to weigh bags before check-in, surely this makes sense as otherwise it's only guesswork.
snow report
We had such an unpleasant time last year with Sleezyjet we vowed never to fly budget again - they will take every opportunity to fleece you for extra ££, from charging for every Kg overweight, to 'handling fees' for your skis.

Although the T&Cs are there, it's certainly my experience that flag-carriers give you some leeway. Low cost don't, and end up (a)charging as much as flag carriers (b)causing more grief.

Flew to Italy in the autumn, on way back, a handle was torn from my bag. Went to the BA desk in baggage reclaim, girl behind desk took one look at bag, asked me if the largest Antler suitcase was OK, I said my bag's a bit bigger than that so they sent me two. All completely painless, quick and sympathetically handled.
latest report
Peter Ross, Yes I've thought that myself. If you could weigh your bags before check in and 'adjust' as required it would save time and segment at the desk. I weigh mine on a set of Tanita bathroom scales which are quite accurate and also measure your body fat. (That bit doesn't work with ski boots on however Madeye-Smiley )
ski holidays
I've always taken my boots as hand luggage. They fit snuggly into a normal size backpack (69 style – if you know what I mean wink ). I take the linings out and pack them in my suitcase – stuffed full of socks etc. The airlines and security have never batted an eyelid so far – but there’s always a first time. I’ll be doing the same again this year – with my fingers crossed.
snow report
AxsMan wrote:
My boots don't fit into a bag that is "55cm x 40cm x 20cm"

You need Kryptons - they fit into a bag that size Wink (that way I can be sure that even when my clothes go to Toronto, or my skis to Geneva, at least my boots will eb with me!)
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, I'd be willing to give it a go except I only just got the new Falcons, and they have just bedded in nicely Very Happy

TBH mine probably would squeeze into a bag that size, '69' style as suggested, it's just my boot bag that is fractionally too large. The other aspect is I hate having a heavy carry on, but If I flew around as much as you do, I'd defnitely consider keeping my boots with me. Lufthansa lost them for a day a couple of years back and my toenails still haven't fully recovered from the damage done by hire boots in one day!
latest report
Put one boot in the hold luggage and one in your hand luggage.
snow report
riverman, So if they lose your hold luggage you can just ski on one leg for the day Confused I'll make it my left boot that gets checked in then! Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Put one boot in the hold luggage and one in your hand luggage.

Thats what i did last time, worked for me kept my hold luggage weight down.
snow report
We tried to take ski boots as hand luggage last year on Easyjet and were told they class as an offensive weapon and won't let them in hand luggage.
ski holidays
5stitches, try charcoal inserts wink
snow report
I just put mine in my hold bag and made sure I had a sensible amount of clothes with me, not a wardrobe. Was under the weight limit fine.
snow conditions
5stitches wrote:
We tried to take ski boots as hand luggage last year on Easyjet and were told they class as an offensive weapon and won't let them in hand luggage.

An offensive weapon because its a large heavy lump of plastic that you might throw about the place I guess? Much like a laptop then except they let you on with those perfectly OK.

I think I could probably do more damage with the boots that I actually have on my feet than with my ski boots if I became so inclined whilst on a plane.
latest report
5stitches wrote:

Shocked
It's amazing what different peoples interpritations are rolling eyes I see plenty of ski boots brought on as hand luggage -not in a bag, just slung over the shoulder.
On an EDI - LGW flight the other day I asked a guy that had said item carried as decribed above "where are you going?" meaning - where's your end destination, to use said items - after a very blank look I got the answer of: "Gatwick" Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SeeJay wrote:
I've always taken my boots as hand luggage. They fit snuggly into a normal size backpack (69 style – if you know what I mean wink ). I take the linings out and pack them in my suitcase – stuffed full of socks etc. The airlines and security have never batted an eyelid so far – but there’s always a first time. I’ll be doing the same again this year – with my fingers crossed.

My experience too - if anyone gets shirty about the weight simply wear them & put them back in later. As an aside flying with BA with my 32.0kg exact ski bag the check-in agent updated me on the 23kg limit from Feb but confirmed I'd be ablke to take 2 bags plus a ski bag in future so more pieces for them to handle - not exactly smart business practice!!
snow conditions
As have some of the others here, I've found my boots fit perfectly in a ' recommended size ' handbaggage case. flew both easyjet & thomsonfly with it last season, & have flown easyjet ( bristol /toulouse return ) this season with no problems whatsoever. Thomsonfly next week, we'll see .........
snow conditions
As mentioned by AxsMan, I intend wearing mine on Saturday Wink .
snow conditions
Just paid €136 for luggage for two of us with Aer Lingus for a return flight to Munich from Dublin in January. €30 each way for skis and €4 each for each bag, if paid for in advance (new charge brought in in November for bookings made after 9 August 2006!). Don't want to get caught out at the airport and have to pay even more. This is nearly as much as the flights. It will soon be cheaper to hire in resort, but I do like to have my own skis.

On the other hand, boots are not a problem, they fit in our cases, under the 20kg limit. At least Aer Lingus have a 15kg sports equipment limit, which is more realistic for skis than Thomson, who have a 5kg limit for skis! How much do yours weigh? Fortunately at Christmas they did not enforce this. The bikes in summer might be another question though. I can see us having to put the saddles, pedals etc in our main bag, rather than in the bike box, all of which is pretty silly.
latest report
hilary t wrote:
Just paid €136 for luggage for two of us with Aer Lingus for a return flight to Munich from Dublin in January. €30 each way for skis and €4 each for each bag,

€30 each way for the skis. Shocked Even Ryanair are not quite that bad but I still thought that those prices were for a return and not each way.
ski holidays
If you ski in the US and do a few transfers, you soon learn to put them in your hand luggage. I have missed a few days skiing waiting for kit to turn up before I learnt this. I always have enough kit in my hand luggage to ski the next day (can't get my helmet in). Most airlines are encouraging you to put more and more in your hand luggage to cut down on the payments they pay to their baggage loading crews. No one, in a couple of hundred flights, has ever weighed my hand luggage. We have 3 roll-along bags for hand luggage for the family and they fit 69 fashion in easily with glasses/electronics protected inside them. This then leaves space to put ruck sack with offensive weapons probe and shovel in the checked luggage.
snow report
We have some holdalls that take the boots in a pocket at either end. Not entirely sure they'd meet Ryanairs 15kg limit, but they do meet EJ's. Every time we fly, I cut down on the clothes, but we still come home with some unworn ones. I think its' cos when we drive, we just throw everything in.
snow conditions
I have been looking into taking my ski boots on board the plane and came accross this forum.

Emailed gatwick airport to ask if i could take onboard in a cabin complaint suitcase. Airport staff said yes! Panic over:

As I'm flying with easyjet i was concerned that would have been slammed with extra weight. Reading the small print - as i am checking in my blades my total combined hold case and blade bag can be up to 32kg!! Glad i read the small print as they dont tell u that when you book the ski carrige!!

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage :

Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.
Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out above shall apply in addition to the above fee.
latest report
I'd imagine boots are forbidden on planes :
in an emergency evac, would slow up the evac
ski holidays
Bladeboy2010,

welcome to snowheads

but hold on tight Shocked
latest report
Just to let you know that Stansted now have scales which cost about £1. They also give you a print.out just in case there are calibration issues at check in.
snow conditions
Just to let you know that Stansted now have scales which cost about £1. They also give you a print.out just in case there are calibration issues at check in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy