Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday... what's up?

Poster: A snowHead
Bode Swiller wrote:

1.3 million according to the two biggest industry surveys... and that's trips not people. So, I reckon the actual figure is under a million.

I'm never quite sure how they work out such a figure. When I book a ferry crossing or a flight, how does someone in the "industry" know whether I'm going skiing or biking or even working?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RobW, I think they take an educated guess at the independent market and gather what stats they can from wherever they can get them. The package market is easier as AC Neilson (no relation to the tour op) produce stats that everyone seems to agree with. I know that Dover Harbour Board used to count cars with skis on roofracks and I'm sure the tunnel does similar. The national tourist offices also produce their own stats on the UK market - the Austrians have very detailed numbers on overnights... those forms you fill in at the reception desk with your passport number all get collated locally and then centrally. I'm 43.7% right about all this and that's a fact.

Last Ski Sunday was much better than those previous. Hate to say it but it's growing on me. Remember, Fawlty Towers was a flop first time round.

You are being watched by the way.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

who won the mens?
Mario Matt

Quote:

There are anly about 2-3 million Brits go skiing at all each winter
1.3 million according to the two biggest industry surveys... and that's trips not people. So, I reckon the actual figure is under a million. And, for most, it's a week a year... that makes it a minority sport IMV. Darts players do their "sport" all year round.

I thought there were 1.8 million TO wintersports package holidays sold the last year I've seen figures for. That was from the last Crystal Report

I was assuming rather less than that doing DIY trips.

But having just checked, I see that I was badly mis-remembering. It was 1.18 million not 1.8 million, and that was total, not just TO. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobW, Depends where the data is collected. Each time I've stayed in a ski resort hotel reception takes my passport so if the data is collected by the hoteliers/chalet owners,etc then the industry should be able to get accurate figures on the nationalities of resort clientele.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On another note

I watched skiiers world the other day which had features on Aspen, Snow park in NZ and tips for all different skiing abilities. I thought it was a brilliant programme even though it was only a brief 1/2 an hour. I would like to see Ski Sunday being a similar to skiiers world with skiing coverage and a summer trek.

Skiiers World is an excellent programme.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm fed up watching the same swarmy fella, touring the world's more exotic resorts.

What do you mean, am I jealous?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney,

Dart "NOT a minority sport"? They hold the world championships (well one of them) in the Circus Tavern! To be honest with you I cannot believe that more than 1 in 30 people in the UK actually play darts (which is what it would need to be if more than 2 million of the population play it!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well according to surveys, more people play darts in this country than play any of Football, Cricket or Rugby. And since Football has around 10% participation, that would make datrs more than 1 in 10. Which seems pretty likley to me.

I'm not sure what 2 million has to do with anything though? There certainly aren't anything like 2 million UK people who ski competitively.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney, not sure what competetive has to do with it. Nobody drives a Formula 1 car to work but millions like to watch it on TV.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arlberg wrote:
I'm fed up watching the same swarmy fella, touring the world's more exotic resorts.

What do you mean, am I jealous?

if your talking about the snow boarder , then i dont see much to be jealous about.. 12 hours on a plane miss a flight 3 hours on that, stay in a craphole, wait 3 days to get one run (albiet a good one) down a very long, relativly unsteep slope with a total Z telemarking next to you .. then have to get all the way home.. er thanks salzburg large merc for me please...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, I would say that motorsport is quite a minority sport too, although there are a lot more who do participate than just those involved at F1 level.

And competitive is significant because when not competing with others, it is a hobby rather than a sport.

Top gear is about driving and cars from the "hobby" POV, while Grand Prix/Rally coverage is about motor sport.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it possible to do the time trial on Graham's GS course? Only I'll be in the area next month and fancied a try,
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
prog99, well it wasn;t there when I was in Courmayeur the week before the programme started. I would assume they filmed it all in one go over two or three days
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
prog99, they don't have the course set up all the time, i think they hire the piste out for various races and training. It was the piste we used for the property industry race a couple of weeks ago.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm pretty sure that the course was marked out when I was there during the first weekend in Feb which was the weekend of the 3rd programme of the series I think. I didn't venture over to it coz I thought it was for real race training and I didn't make the link with Ski Sunday at the time.
ski holidays
halfhand, that was for our race.

I wouldn't be surprised if they filmed that for Ski Sunday last season even?
latest report
I think the celeb GS runs were filmed back in December.
ski holidays
Just watched this week's Ski Sunday. In the bit about Germany and Berchtesgarden (lovely scenery - I've also visited the Eagle's Nest, built as a Tearoom as a Birthday present for Hitler), Graham Bell said two things which jarred with me as I think they were incorrect.
Firstly, in talking about the history of salt mining in the surrounding area he said Salzburg means "salt mountain" in English. That would be the case if it was "Salzberg", but "Burg" is a castle, not a mountain. Surprising mistake, because I thought the Bell brothers went to racing school in Austria and were fluent in German. Perhaps Martin might care to query Graham on this one Toofy Grin
The other point was when showing the view from Berchtesgarden, Graham said that Adolf Hitler wrote Mein Kampf here. In fact he wrote it in 1924 when he was imprisoned (after the failed Munich coup) in the fortress prison of Landsberg am Lech which isn't near Berchtesgarden at all. Probably duff info provided by the production team wink
snow report
well burg is castle, berg is mountain, GCSE german actually taught me something wink
ski holidays
Great episode. With the red button action I think the formula is almost right. The Whistler Super G was wild! I want some of that.
snow conditions
Oooh, this could start something...

Votes for who should host Strictly Come Apres-Skiing with Racing on the Red Button.

Judith Chalmers has one already...
snow conditions
Meow Toofy Grin
latest report
Alastair Pink, It was good seeing the Eagle's nest though wasn't it. When I was young my parents took me to see it and also to the salt mine. The trip to the salt mine is one of my most enduring memories of childhood holidays. We all had to dress up in mining uniforms and funny hats and had to wear a leather apron back to front so that you didn't get friction burns on your butt when you slid down those big long slides. Then there was a light show where they played Strauss music as you floated across the salt lakes on a barge. I was only about 5years old but it was magical.
Thought the rest of tonights programme was good too. Whatshername celebrity came across as a nice person and seemed quite a good laugh. I'd like to go skiing with her. Smile
ski holidays
I like the idea of ski sunday being a magazine style prog rather than just racing- but really didn't do it for me at all...not sure why it just seemed utter tosh
latest report
Well I just watched my first episode of ski sunday for about 15 years.... it's changed quite a lot hasn't it!!! I did enjoy it though, the format worked for me! However is there anywhere to actually watch skiing?

p.s. Sandboarding looked rubbish!
ski holidays
ickabodblue wrote:
Thought the rest of tonights programme was good too. Whatshername celebrity came across as a nice person and seemed quite a good laugh. I'd like to go skiing with her. Smile

Yep the programme was pretty good tonight but I found "Whatshername celebrity" really annoying... just goes to show you can't please all of the people all of the time Wink
ski holidays
roga, Yeh, that's 'cos you are jet lagged you lucky barsteward wink
latest report
^ LOL, you've been reading my other post haven't you Laughing

I didn't like to mention it again but yes I am jet lagged but I have a rather stupid grin on my face for some reason Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, It sounded great!!! Glad you enjoyed it Very Happy
snow report
Thanks ickabodblue, yeah it was pretty amazing - as I say I've rarely seen so much fresh stuff but I'm sure some North American regulars probably have, probably even more snow some places! I can now understand why so many of them were moaning last year about rotten conditions when they 'only' got a foot or two of fresh a night for around three/four days Shocked

Back on topic though, it was quite nice to return to Ski Sunday despite the annoying celebrity whatshername Wink NehNeh wink
ski holidays
ski-finder wrote:
Well I just watched my first episode of ski sunday for about 15 years.... it's changed quite a lot hasn't it!!! I did enjoy it though, the format worked for me! However is there anywhere to actually watch skiing?

Yup. I've decided to give it a miss Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Celebrith whatshername I thought she was a stuffy toff till I seen her on that last night came across really well and like a good laugh Can I be excused As I want to go to Whistler now I have been day dreaming about it all day Toofy Grin
latest report
ski-finder wrote:
didn't it? And the snowy stuff. He sure enjoys a long ride for a short slide.
snow conditions
[quote="roga"][quote="ickabodblue"]"Whatshername celebrity" quote]

Claire Balding is her name, anyone that has ridden horses esp. thoroughbreds should find skiing easy, although she hasn't the most athletic build.
snow conditions
She has for a horse Shocked
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
Top gear is about driving and cars from the "hobby" POV

Is it? I thought it was a vehicle (see what I did there)?) for Jeremy Clarkson with a vague background of cars. I'm the only one in our household who doesn't like TG and I'm the only one with an interest in cars. Ski Sunday is becoming much the same, only with skiing as a backgorund and without Clarkson and ..., well not that much the same, then.
snow report
a little thread i found on a windsurfing forum ref ski sunday...very positive and includes non skiers/boards.

http://www.boards.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19318&KW=ski+snow&PN=0&TPN=2
latest report
This episode just shown was excellent. I have been critical of a lot of the skiing in irrelevant locations and general travel channel stuff etc Even though there have been good features and the lack of ski racing doesnt bother me that much as I tune into Eurosport.

But tonights episode was mostly all about skiing thank god. I really enjoyed the Tarentaise Top gear esque racing. Good brief Racing coverage. Colin Jackson was such a good self taught skiier once again really enjoyed that. Summer time in Austria was interesting enough.

Shame such a good episdoe has come so late in the season.
latest report
Christopher, I agree, I really enjoyed tonight's episode.
snow conditions
Yes I thought tonight's episode was the best yet, though I couldn't watch some of the falls and i wish Ed had won the race Crying or Very sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy