Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Hire - Gold versus Silver Packages (A 3 Part Query)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
1. Having now got to the point in my skiing where a decent pair of skis actually seems to make a difference, I am becoming increasingly interested in what skis to take at hire time, albeit I know nowt about skis excpet for I know what size I like, and that I like sharp edges. There always seems to be three options avaialble at ski hire shops that I always virtually ignore, being the Beginner Package, the Intermediate (or Silver) and the Expert (Gold).

With the exception of the differences that the length of ski can make (and price), could somebody enlighten me as to how the three do/may differ?

2. I am going to Morzine on Thursday and am looking at pre-booking skis. The options available that I am looking at are:

Silver - Rossignol Actys Limited (or similar)

or

Gold - Dynastar Contact 8 Demo (or similar).

Anybody have any opinions on one versus the other?

3. Am I better off aiming for the best ski available regardless of my abilities? BTW - I have about 3 weeks experience and comfortably ski all blues and reds. As long as I get the right length ski I figure that paying for the Gold ski is going to better. Or is it?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I posted a similar thread a while back - the general concensus if I recall was to hire the best you can afford - the gold/VIP whatever they may call them, being better.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's the link:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=16710
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
eddyr, nice one. Think I'll be going for trhe upper end. Your thread is virtually exactly what I was looking for. Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now, anybody familiar with the skis abovementioned?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Leuzzi, option 3 IMO
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
halfhand, which is?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Leuzzi, Google "Francois Baud Sports" or check for them on pages jaunes. Very definitely the best hire shop in Morzine IMHO. Ask for a pair of prestige skis to be put aside for you. You will have I expect some choice of Rossi 9S or 9X, possibly others. Or explain what you're looking for and ask for a recommendation.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd always take a walk round the resort to see what is what... I'll have a short-list and I'll take into account the conditions of the day. The shop should be near enough (ideally) to change on a whim....ie, you wake up and its snowed all night and you have SL skis...!!!!!!!

If the weather is dominated by a big and stubborn high, then sign up for SL/GS skis if you like that sort of thing, or skis with edges, like Stockli or Volkl, for starters. Maybe also, be aware that a poor snow start to the season will probably have the hire shops keeping back this years stock, so go for last years well tuned Rossi for hard-pack if all else fails.

To stop just getting the next ski in line, know what you want, ask for it...talk to the tech and if he doesn't have it to give, ask him to suggest one... if you don't like his choice, feel free to go elsewhere.

You can help yourself enormously if you do a bit of research and know what you want from a ski...... or maybe its me and I'm so picky
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, Probably just you snowHead

Nothing wrong with being picky..... Its something I have good experience in!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hold on - this "hire the best you can afford" business sounds odd to me. Would you put a 3 week skier on race skis or legend pros or something just because they were the "best" skis. I don't think it makes sense personally.

Peter, I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with those skis but I'd have thought you should tell the hire shop your budget and your experience and ask their recommendation - they'll put you on something good but not too challenging.

J
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy