Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski servicing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hmmmmmm - just picked up my skis from our local ski shop after having them serviced and I'm not very happy with them.

After skiing on them in Dec in Tignes, with a few rocks around, the bases had quite a few scrapes, grooves and gouges on them - nothing deep or major but obviously needed some attention.

The OH took them in to our local ski shop Finches, showed them the bases & they said no probs, £15. When he told me this I was a bit suspicious as this was the price just for a basic wax and sharpen but they had said they would sort out the bases no probs.

On picking them up today, that is exactly what they've had - a wax and sharpen and all the grooves are still there. They said this is all they were asked to do rolling eyes .

Now I'm sure its not going to affect MY performance at all but I'm not very happy - is there anything I can do at this stage to get the bases better prepared or will they be just fine for the next week's skiing? I'll have to get them properly done when we get back & before we go to Canada.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh - and probably what I meant to say, how do grooves & gouges on the base affect the ski's performance?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy, Did they give you a copy of the workshop ticket detailing the work required? Although it's a pain I suppose it's a bit hard to complain about not getting a service that hasn't been charged for - just inconvenience I suppose & fairly typical of UK retail service rolling eyes

Anyway without seeing the bases it's hard to say whether any of the damage needs repairing or not. My rule is that scratches are ok to leave (providing they're smooth & deburred etc & not up against an edge leaving it unsupported) whilst gouges, including anything that exposes the skis core definately need repairing. What's the difference between a scratch & a gouge - well that's purely subjective but I hope you see what I'm getting at.

Bear in mind that a store repair is usually followed by a belt sand to smooth out their repairs (as it looks cosmetically better) but this effectively means a loss of base material (Shocked) & base edge metal (Shocked) meaning that they then re-grind the edges with loss of edge material (Shocked) so I'd recommend requesting that store repairs undertaken are flattened by hand, even if costs a few extra quid.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cathy wrote:
The OH took them in to our local ski shop Finches, showed them the bases & they said no probs, £15.

The "no probs" could relate to the size of the scratches. Maybe they didn't think them big enough to worry about.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spent the morning getting my Missions syderjoned. Thorough. Recommended.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks spyderjon & marc gledhill.

'.....the workshop ticket detailing the work required' - they don't quite go in for that level of professionalism rolling eyes You take them in, say what you want done and they take them off your hands. You get a basic receipt. We have had problems with them in the past, in that they gave the OH one of his skis and one of a rental pair, plus other things.....but I keep giving them a second chance as otherwise its S&R and a bit of a trek. Finches is only 5 mins away in Forest Hill and I try to support local independent shops. But as you say, they haven't charged for work they haven't done - it's just I'd rather have paid more & got them properly done.

I've had another look at the bases and I would say there are some scratches and some gouges. But nothing exposing the core. There are 2 gouges going up to the edge but they're not leaving the edge unsupported. Basically, I think if I were hiring skis I wouldn't accept these. But I reckon they'll be fine.

I think the 'no probs' was more like 'no probs, they'll fix them' - but I wasn't there and have nothing in writing. Maybe they did think they weren't worth bothering with.

spyderjon, so when are you doing your southern roadshow?? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, I've had many people travel further than south London for a lesson in DIY'ing rolling eyes. I promise that you won't get a nose bleed coming this far up country wink Laughing

If you can't make it up narth I've an excellent DVD/written guide with your name on it for you when you're ready to take the plunge snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy, watch out, spyderjon's got the gift of the gab. Who else could have sold me gold goggles in a green frame with a white strap. Even I know they won't go with my red jacket, black sallopettes, blue boots and brown skis NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, did he manage to offload those onto you? He tried to get me to take them off his hands as well! wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer wrote:
achilles, did he manage to offload those onto you? He tried to get me to take them off his hands as well! wink

'fraid so. The full horror of what I had done only dawned on me as I was driving home. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, Laughing Laughing

Are you in the Nottingham area, if I remember right? It isn't inconceivable I could make a visit as my parents live near Derby - obviously will need to make sure my passport's up to date Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer wrote:
achilles, did he manage to offload those onto you? He tried to get me to take them off his hands as well!

wink NehNeh

Cathy, I'm on the east side of Nottm, the opposite side from Derby rolling eyes.

Sharkymark's driven up from Bristol this morning so don't be such a lightweight Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy