Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where in Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
Was talking to someone last night who was trying persuade my group to go to Tignes in Easter.
Is it split into three villages? Which is best? Can you get between the 3 at night day etc?
Is it a good resort for our group. 2 advanced 1 intermediate 2 beginners. All male. Like a lively apres ski.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
garethjomo, just got back from Tignes Val Claret and if you want really lively, this may not be the best for you. There are a few bars and a couple of clubs around but I got the impression (although I can't vouch for it personally) that Le Lac is probably better for a night out. To get between them all take the bus, it runs regularly even at night and is included on your lift pass.

Ski wise, the area is better suited to confident skiiers but that said, there is plenty of terrain you can improve/learn on in Espace Killy if you pick the right runs - as long as the 2 advanced skiiers don't tempt the others into doing stupid things you should be fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
garethjomo, There are several Snowheads who are based in Tignes and who can no doubt advise you. see Stewart Woodwards snow report and you'll see what I mean.

From a punters perspective I would recommend Tignes Le Lac as the resort 'centre'. It has more 'life' than Val Claret and good lift links with the other areas. Val Claret has easier access to the glacier as the funicular runs from there, but personally I prefer the non-glacier skiing anyway. The two lower Tignes villages (le Boise and les Breviers)are worth a ski down to but I wouldn't stay there.

A free Bus service runs between the sections all day and up to (I think) 11.00 at night. One word of warning: The free bus does NOT run to Val D'isere so if you come down on the Val side you need to go back via the lifts or get a taxi (about 40 Euros) back to Tignes. There is a bus but it's not very frequent.

Tignes is great for intermediates (like us) and brilliant for advanced with loads of easily accessible off-piste (conditions permitting), but can be a bit daunting for complete beginners. However the easy Rosset piste is a nursery slope at le lac, which is FREE (no lift pass needed to ride its chairlift) and so can be good for the first couple of days.

More importantly check out the Alpaka Bar/Hotel it's where everyone who is anyone can be found of an evening Cool Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
garethjomo, Just to be awkward... I like Tignes a lot.... www.tignes.net has a resort map so you can see the layout.

For me - I'll go there to ski, not to party (anyway at my age I'm usually 1/2 asleep at 10 anyway)....so I'd stay in Val Claret.

Reasons for this are it has the best access to the mountains (other than the Tufs chair)... and at the end of the day it's an easy ski down Piste H or Carline to finish with.

If you like 'lively apres ski' then Val despair may be a better bet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
garethjomo, we have stayed in Tignes the last two Easters, the first year in Val Claret and the second in le Lac.

The snow was good the first year and excellent the second, and in my view that is the main reason to go choose Tignes at that time of the season.

Val Claret has the better access to the slopes for your group (IMV) especially if you are planning to go across towards Val as the return to le Lac is either via Trolles (a black which can be a bit "challenging") or via the Aeroski lift or via Val Claret and the bus or the Aiguille Percee side (a longish ski at the end of the day).

Neither had particularly active night life, but if anything I think le Lac shades it. However, you can make your own parties!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Le Lac for me as well, even though the last run to home down Trolles can be a bit much if you're tired from a day skiing around Val d'Isere. It seems to have more of a 'real' feel to it than Val Claret which is a bit of a dormitory village.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where in Val Claret if anywhere will I get a wireless connection on my laptop
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I stayed in the Hotel Curling in November and could 'see' three hotspots - twp of them commercial services that required payment, and one which looked private but required a WEP password. Can't remember exactly how much, but I think I paid €15 for something like 5 hours of connection time (you could connect and disconnect at will, so that lasted me all week).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hotel Campanules (at Le lac) charges 25 Euros for 10 hours of connection. seemed quite reasonable to me (and was just enough for the week) smaller durations are also available, but the hourly cost is more. People were on line in the Alpaka too, but I don't know what the cost was.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Free wifi is available in these bars for customers in:-
Jam Bar, Alpaka & Angel (all in le Lac)
TCs, Brasero, Scotty's & Lav Lounge (LL also has a couple of free terminals!) all in Lavachet.

Garethjomo, go to le Lac
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another good bit of advice wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd also go for Le Lac and agree with rob@rar about Trolles if you're a bit tired after a full day. Alpaka is decent enough place with a good selection of whiskey - not that it's my particular poison. Friendly place and the food (on last evidence) was OK.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
anyone know of any free / inexpensive wifi in Val Claret?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, no but I know where one can get some inexpensive Claret wine Shocked wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nbt wrote:
anyone know of any free / inexpensive wifi in Val Claret?

Not 100% certain but try 'THE FISH TANK'
snow report
If not, the Couloir bar had a fair few people using laptops in it last month which makes me think that something might be available there.
snow report
stewart woodward, 'THE FISH TANK' , noted thanks! supernaut, thanks also
ski holidays
and yet another question!

One of our party is looking for a rumoured leisure centre - since booking the holiday she has found out that she's pregnant and is thus not snowboarding as a precaution, very sensible in my opinion. Apparently there's suposed to be a leisure centre with pool and spa etc somewhere which was due to open in 2006 - has it done so and if so, where is it? My friend is staying in on the of the Ski Olympic chalets in Le Lavachet, I beleive, if there's more than one. Thanks in advance
snow report
nbt, It's in Le Lac, overlooking the lake. New building which you can't miss; lots of wood and stone. A friend visited a couple of times in November and said it was very good.
latest report
thanks Rob, that's great news, nice and convenient for her!

EDIT: d'oh, damn typing!
EDIT 2 : DOUBLE d'oh, damn typing!
latest report
nbt,
Just look for the wooden tee-pee by the lake, next to the Aeroski lift in le Lac.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy