Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coach Crash in the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Four British tourists have been injured when a coach crashed in the Alps, the Foreign Office has said.
One person was seriously injured and three others were less seriously hurt.

The accident happened shortly after 0100 local time (0000 GMT) when the coach, carrying about 45 Britons, slid off an icy road in south east France.

The Foreign Office said the accident happened when the tourist party was travelling from La Grave, in the Isere region, to Grenoble airport.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6233573.stm
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shift and the number 2 key will give you what is missing. Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They were travelling from Serre Che to St Geoirs, in fact. Two people were treated at a Grenoble clinic and released to fly home, and the other has more serious injuries and is currently still in hospital following surgery.

The BBC's website has a rather stupid video news clip in which the reporter first claims that alpine roads are permanent carnage and them states that the last serious coach accident she can dredge up was in 1997.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard wrote:
The BBC's website has a rather stupid video news clip in which the reporter first claims that alpine roads are permanent carnage and them states that the last serious coach accident she can dredge up was in 1997.

I agree, considering some of the marginal conditions coach crashes are extremely rare.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, are those pictures of the accident in question? Has the coach been moved since the crash? The reason I ask is that it looks like it's scarcely left the road and I'm a bit surprised someone was seriously injured.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is the coach in question. The injured man was thrown out of the vehicle.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Something to be said for seat belts in coaches.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The BBC showed a video similar to the shots above BUT in addition just out of shot at the forefront of the first of Davids picture's is a large rock which the coach had sideswiped and bounced off. Also, the BBC said the guy was the Tour leader so a fair chance he was standing up or in the front jump seat Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geri, I thought seat belt wearing in coaches was compulsory in France Confused . Certainly on the last couple of coach-trips, they made a big issue about it on the stretches in France.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I assumed the guy was standing up - although he seems to have been a school leader it is very common (and very dangerous) for TO reps to stand up during transfers up to resort to sell gubbins like lift passes and down from resort to collect quetionnaires and deal with end of week complaints. I believe that UK TO coaches (even from french subcontractors) have been fitted with seat belts since the UK introduced seatbelt legislation in the late 1990s as the TO are covered by UK not French law.

The shots are from FR3 film of the incident.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The coach was equipped with seatbelts, though he quite possibly wasn't wearing his. He wasn't travelling in the jump seat.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I like the idea that Mizoen is a "town"... Shocked Very rare to have these accidents considering the numbers of cars and coaches using these roads - a testament to the mountains of salt used?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serre Chevalier was a skating rink on Thurs am, there was a couple of accidents on the main road.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The guy who is injured is the brother-in-law of one of the guys whom I work with. Don't know exact details as he has had to fly out to France and has just checked in on the phone. No details about the accident yet but the guy has been put into an artificial coma by the hospital Sad . From the bits I pick up from Mrs Big G (Neuro Intensive Care sister), they do this for serious head injuries to allow time for the swelling to go down and allow the brain to recover.
All our thoughts go out to him, and I'll update with any info as and when.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

artificial coma

Big G, This normally means sedated
latest report
Linds, No, I believe that sedation and an artificially induced coma are 2 completely different things. Sedation is used to immobilise patients that are agitated/dissorientated ar are expressing wild/agressive behaviour due to their head injuries and are likely to cause injury to themselves or those around them, also used whenever anyone is on a ventilator. An artificially induced coma is a technique that is used to shut the brain down "completely" when it is deemed that head injury/swelling is severe enough that brain function needs to be supressed to control the intra-cranial pressure. Apparently, speaking to Mrs Big G last night, this is a fairly common technique used in severe impact injuries like this, and was what they used on Richard Hammond.
snow report
Just had an update.
It seems as though snow was cleared from the road on Thursday morning/early afternoon. Late afternoon/evening it rained and this then froze overnight. The coach was making its way from La Grave towards Grenoble when at about 06:30 it skidded on the ice and hit the rockface on the nearside verge. The guy who is injured was the party leader/courier who was seated next to the driver, apparently not belted in as he went through the windscreen which didn't shatter but popped out in one piece (as can be seen in one of the photos above). It is not yet known whether the coach then hit him again as it then bounced off the rock wall and across the road into the crash barriers.
The current status of the injured party is that he is in an induced coma while intra-cranial pressure is stabalising. A blood clot has been removed but a further lesion is still being monitored. It is hoped that they can start to bring him out of the coma towards the end of this week. Contrary to the media reports he does not have any broken bones, only superficial soft tissue injuries.
ski holidays
Big G, thanks for the update - poor bloke. Leson? WEAR YOUR SEATBELT.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy