Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spray or Wash

Poster: A snowHead
To waterproof a ski jacket with something like Nikwax?
Which do people consider the easiest way to do it and what to use? In the washing machine or spray on? Does it leave a residual mess in the washing machine or does it rinse our easily?
I know it has been discussed before but the search ends up with lots of other stuff as well rolling eyes
I have never used before this on my jacket and have never had a problem with it but am thinking that skiing in 2 weeks time I should prepare for anything the weather can throw at me snowHead
Many thanks (Just in case anybody replys) snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Linds, I've tried both methods and for me the wash in version seems to work a little better
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd endorse washing. It gives a more consistent coating (pardon the pun). snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The wash-in version is intended for shells and the spray-on is for use on lined jackets. Don't ask me what the wash-in version does to linings. I don't know and don't wish to experiment with my own expensive kit! I just stick to what it says on the bottle. Spraying it on is not that challenging by the way.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Linds, The best way to reproof a Goretex jacket is ordinary Comfort fabric conditioner Shocked . It has been tested in TRAIL magazine and found to be better than proprietary stuff, with no loss of breathability. Reproofing after a weeks wet weather wear is about right using Fabric conditioner.

Most important with Goretex is to wash the jacket WITHOUT washing powder, maybe giving the machine a quick rinse cycle on empty first to clean it through. (A quick dip in fresh powder might do the same Puzzled )

Otherwise uktrailmonster is spot on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster wrote:
Don't ask me what the wash-in version does to linings.

It will waterproof the lining. Only a problem if it's a fleece type lining that acts as part of your wicking system
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Martin Nicholas, I was told about using Comfort fabric conditioner by a guy who spends a lot of time in the Welsh mountains, swears it's spot on for reproofing Goretex.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Linds, the wash in is so much easier...

I did read the title of this thread by you, and thought: 'oh it's Linds, wanting to know if she should wash during the week or just spray deodrant...' NehNeh Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the useful advice so far, but and there is always a but rolling eyes
Martin Nicholas, I dont think my Columbia jacket is actually made of Gortex, just had a look and it dosent say on it what it is made of.
It is an shell with a detatchable fleece liner (which I was obviously going to detatch) so should I use this reproofing stuff or not?

Quote:

wanting to know if she should wash during the week or just spray deodrant...'

Michelle I thought it would save on baggage weight Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Michelle wrote:
Linds, the wash in is so much easier...

I did read the title of this thread by you, and thought: 'oh it's Linds, wanting to know if she should wash during the week or just spray deodrant...' NehNeh Laughing

Laughing wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Linds, Why bother with waterproofing? Snow is effectively 'dry' & waterproofing is the least important feature required.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Linds, tx-wash is generally good in most shells materials. What jacket is it? It might be possible to work out the material from a website.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wash it first in Nikwax Techwash (general purpose cleaner) including the inner. After it's dry spray some water on it. If it beads up and falls off, no further action is required. If it soaks in, then wash it again with the wash-in waterproofer (lining detached of course).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Linds,

If it was Gore-Tex it would be say all over the jacket..assume it isn't and you have a poly-cotton type..which is lilkey to be more breathable that GT when untreated. You will compromise this greatly when you water-proof it but its roundabouts and swings.
I would spray so as not to gunk up the machine... it probably will not last two weeks or more anyway and then you can spray it again.

I wash my jackets without any soap so as not to bung up the pores (Gore-Tex) the waterproofness is appiled as a top coat treatment..so a spray will do that anyway, if you are relatively precise.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, Laughing

I'm surprised that Whitegold hasn't told us that waterproofing is for losers.
ski holidays
Iron the face fabric (goretex or not) after reproofing as well - not too hot kids!!! I tried the spray on but went back to wash in. Mind you - after 16 years my old goretex (still waterproof) face fabric is so fluffy that it soaks up any moisture like a sponge. Thats why I just bought a new one at long last hehehe.
snow conditions
I don't know about reproofing but i use grannys old soap flakes to wash mine with...seems to work ok...still waterproof
ski holidays
spyderjon, unless you are going to Whistler...
ski holidays
best way is to wash the garment in either Nikwax or Grangers washing solution [a detergent free soap, should be liguid so as not to clog the pores] wash again in the waterproofing solution [the grangers product guarantees to give your clothing the same repellency as when ity was new if used correctly]

most important bit is to tumble dry the garment on a cool setting for a while, it is the heat that actually activates the proofer. there are a couple of companies workingon a product that does not need heat activation, but i am not sure when it is due out
ski holidays
Thanks to everybody for the info/advice Shocked
This is something I have never bothered to do /didnt know how to/or thought nessasary.

I am doing a week's Warren Smith course in a couple of weeks and with the possibility of any type of weather I dont want to the the wimpy woman who is cold and wet rolling eyes
Quote:
Snow is effectively 'dry'

spyderjon, Every so often I manage to find Wet Snow rolling eyes These may not be like those large snowflakes like we had in Utah last year Laughing
JT, Jacket is definatly not Gortex (but if you wanted to buy me one it would be gratfully recived) Laughing
snow conditions
Linds,

Ok, I'll keep my eyes open...what colour.....?? Laughing snowHead
latest report
Linds, On a week with Warren you'll need good wicking as you'll be working real hard. "Ankle flex, ankle flex"
ski holidays
Fabric Softner is designed to "relax" fibers, that is why clothes are softer after they have been treated. If something has shrunk in the wash, you can use a strong solution of frabric softner to help restore the garment to its original size. Not sure how this would have waterproofing properties.
I use Nikwax Wash and the wash in re-proofer for my jacket. I found this to be far more effective than spray on.

Bod.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy