Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Patrol? Police Style?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it true that over in Canada / America you can actually be fined for skiing too fast in certain areas of the piste, I remember hearing something about it a couple of years ago, and was just wondering whether anyone knew out about this Puzzled Or whether anyone had been fined Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Liam, I doubt it, but you can get your lift pass taken from you for dangerous skiing in the slow zones, etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There should be a tough piste patrol everywhere, with a priority task of banging up anyone who stands around fiddling with their gloves and discussing where to have lunch on the off-ramp of ski lifts. Maybe the answer is to have a special Hit Squad of expert snowboarders to take them out like skittles and leave the ramps clear for people like me who are not yet fully in command of their boards and need a little space to stop....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Laughing Laughing

pam, you didn't however, mention the snowboarders who sit in the middle of runs. I really hope you don't show your pants off too - that can be really unpleasant. had to explain why snowboarders think their insipid white builders bums look good, to a 4 yr old last week Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rpft, hmmmm..... pam w's whale tail . . . . . . . . . nope, can't be 'that' offensive tonight wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, sorry, I don't really mean it, his bum was so unpleasant though. Both kids really want to snowboard, but can't till they are 11 in norwich - so they watch the boarders like hawks. you still haven't answered me on the jim-jam link - is there a victorias secret in london?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rpft, ladies bums = good Madeye-Smiley
mens bums = Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One speeding skier was jailed for a fatal accident in Colorado in 2001:

http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2003/0303/06usa.htm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Odin, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought this was a complaint about the moderators at first Confused
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No admin, you aint that bad Shock I just remember either reading about it, or someone telling me that if you are speeding in certain areas you can recieve a fine, i can just picture piste patrol flying down the mountain after some guy doing over the limit, with a flashing beacon with sirons on their head, shouting pull over....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold, Do you no the outcome of the case Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rpft wrote:
pam w, Laughing Laughing

pam, you didn't however, mention the snowboarders who sit in the middle of runs. I really hope you don't show your pants off too - that can be really unpleasant. had to explain why snowboarders think their insipid white builders bums look good, to a 4 yr old last week Puzzled

Or skiers who stand in the middle of the piste to wait for their friends or point at various piles of snow???!! Or do skiers not do this sort of thing?? Maybe I have just imagined it then.

I don't understand this mentality that snowboarders behave differently to skiers in general piste awareness...I have been ski-ing for 22 years, snowboarding for 12 and you won't find me sat "in the middle of runs" at any time.... very odd.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Liam wrote:
Is it true that over in Canada / America you can actually be fined for skiing too fast in certain areas of the piste, I remember hearing something about it a couple of years ago, and was just wondering whether anyone knew out about this Puzzled Or whether anyone had been fined Puzzled

Yes.. loss of your lift pass could certainly be viewed as a fine. This can also happen in Europe too. In France for example the pisteurs (Yellow jackets) have the right to confiscate your pass for pretty much any reason they see fit. Usually dangerous behaviour etc..

When ski-ing in Whistler, it's best to ease off the speed for the last run of the day down to the pub, due to the welcoming commitee at the bottom of the mountain in the "SLOW" zone Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Robbof, It is not really my mentality honest Toofy Grin I was just playing & this comment is used by many in jest - there is much teasing between snowboarders & skiers on snowHead

The pisteurs can take your pass in france - but it is only used as a last resort as the legal implications are dodgy re land ownership & jurisdiction, however in the resort, I expect anything goes Laughing
snow report
Certainly in Whistler, if one of the speed patrol think you are skiing too fast or dangerously in a slow zone, they radio down to their colleagues below who will then stop you. They used to operate a three strikes and your out rule, and punch a hole in your lift pass if you were "bad". Or, in some cases, take you lift pass away for a day or longer, or even make you go to a speed awareness/safe skiing session for half a day before giving you back your pass!!!
ski holidays
rpft wrote:
Robbof, It is not really my mentality honest Toofy Grin I was just playing & this comment is used by many in jest - there is much teasing between snowboarders & skiers on snowHead

The pisteurs can take your pass in france - but it is only used as a last resort as the legal implications are dodgy re land ownership & jurisdiction, however in the resort, I expect anything goes Laughing

Sure, don't get me wrong it's just one of those things that really frustrates me! Would these same people stand in the middle of the M4? Toofy Grin

In my experience and having worked some seasons in the French alps, the pisteurs are the guys/girls not to mess with...they do a good job but are the law of the mountain, more than the ESF incidentally (They just think they are the law!) wink
snow report
Robbie wrote:
Certainly in Whistler, if one of the speed patrol think you are skiing too fast or dangerously in a slow zone, they radio down to their colleagues below who will then stop you. They used to operate a three strikes and your out rule, and punch a hole in your lift pass if you were "bad". Or, in some cases, take you lift pass away for a day or longer, or even make you go to a speed awareness/safe skiing session for half a day before giving you back your pass!!!

Indeed!! I have had a run in with the speed crew whilst racing down to Garibaldi's to avoid being stitched up for the round!! A stern talking to and I was on my way, red-faced and still landed with the round of beers!
ski holidays
Doh, poor Robbof, they can be mean cant they??

Before they got any real power (ie to take your pass away etc) it used to be fun to try and make them blow their whistles when it seemed safe to do so and you thought they didnt need to be there.

Am i bad ??? Embarassed
latest report
Very good! have to give that a go next month Little Angel

There was one particular lady that would just jump out in front of you from behind the barriers! Pretty brave I thought...especially when the red-mist "Must get to pub" had descended on pretty much everybody that was hurtling towards her!
snow report
Robbof, Very Happy Very Happy And im off to Whistler..... i'll watch out
snow conditions
Liam wrote:
Robbof, Very Happy Very Happy And im off to Whistler..... i'll watch out

You'll have a great time Liam, it's fantastic Very Happy

Longhorn Joe's, cold bucket of beers, sunshine, music, looking up at the mountains you have been blasting around all day! Paradise!

I will be out there the first week of March, going to Big White for last week of Feb to stay with friends then probably flying across to spend 2nd week in Whistler - or possibly flying the other way to head over to Lake Louise...jury out on final plans at the minute! Decisions decisions!!
ski holidays
Liam wrote:
Whitegold, Do you no the outcome of the case Puzzled

Liam -- No idea what happened to the Brit in 2003. But the yank in 2001 did chokey for mashing up a rider at high speed.
ski holidays
Beware about bored speed police in Whistler.

Mr Snowy got stopped and lectured for skiing too fast down the ski-out to the base of Whistler when he was doing lots of short turns at the side of the run. The run was quiet and he was practising his short turns in a <2 metre channel while his vertical/forward speed was actually only about 1 metre per second. He was told to "do more turns". Shocked Laughing

Meanwhile someone cruised past considerably faster, hands in pockets and didn't get a second glance. rolling eyes
snow report
This is interesting, I was wondering if anyone actually 'watched' the slopes like the lifeguards in swimming pools to ensure that behaviour didn't get out of hand. I wonder if they have them in Switzerland?
snow report
up on first oberjoch (grindelwald) there is a speed controlled piste, but it's to the side of the normal piste. And to think they sacrificed a board park for that Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy