Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Modern life is rubbish

Poster: A snowHead
In this thread I'm talking about getting that feeling, the one where you could just jack it all in and head of to a life in the mountains!

I think it happens to me every winter, especially when it starts to dump in the mountains and London worklife just gets too hard .... and even though i really like my job and industry it all becomes a bit mundane!

It is then that i remember all the good things about living in the mountains, the air, the food, the exercise, the thrill, the powder, the scenary, the people and more!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As someone who recently was abandoned by woman, burgled by greedy kids and then 1/5 sacked by boss - I am ready for that move! But what do you do in the interim months?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
only once a week. Well maybe 10 times this week Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah - where the heck is my jet-pack!?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty much everytime I open a credit card statement!

Turn thirty tomorrow as well so reckon there's going to be a fair amount of feeling like jacking it all in this month. . .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tsk tsk.. modern life is much better than er 'not modern' life.. far more oppertunities for people in the u.k. and europe ..
madern life may in fact have 'given' so much that people cant get happy about it anymore.. bit like the kid at xmas with too many pressies and too much choice
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hanging out in the Alps is great for 5 months. It blows for the other 7.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold, unless you like walking, climbing, mountainbiking, rafting, sailing, swimming and so forth.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc gledhill, you forgot skiing!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is it bad that I want to jack it all in and live in the Alps - and I'm not even a year out of school? Laughing
That's my dream... live in the Alps... somehow...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill wrote:
Whitegold, unless you like walking, climbing, mountainbiking, rafting, sailing, swimming and so forth.

These sports suck. They are a poor substitute for surfing the white wave.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
crazy_skier_jules, why not do a season out there? I suspect living and working in the mountains is different to having a week's holiday there (but I'd love to try if it weren't for the familial responsibilities wink)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We went to Chile in August and could have been there from May until Oct for the whole season, Canada starts mid November and Europe really kicks in Late Jan. So if could easily be a full time thing, it is just such a Be Nice please! scary decision unless you are a rich successful entrepreneur. My main objection is what do I do in 5 or 6 years time perhaps when I have cruciate ligament damage and am experienced in driving a snow cat or some other Alpine skill and not much else, also with not much saved?

I have a few ski based business ideas but whether they will ever develop from ideas into actual ongoing concerns is another matter altogether!

Seriously though if I ever make a £1 million cash I'm sticking it all in a 5% high interest account and living on £50k a year interest ... ski ski ski .... now where's Rodney!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
marc gledhill wrote:

Mountain biking is ace just alot more dangerous than skiing, all the falling less of the smooth snow!

Walking and Golf though are ok!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
plectrum, golf is a spoilt walk for me!!! Confused
ski holidays
kersh
next time it snows in the uk try skiing on your golf course it helps you love those hills you hate in the summer Very Happy

plectrum, golf is a spoilt walk for me!!!
ski holidays
plectrum, You're a couple of days early!

7th January is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year - read it in the newspaper - must be true wink
snow report
Whitegold, has anyone ever called you an arrogant, opinionated, grumpy old git? If not, I suggest that you try to get out more.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
marc gledhill wrote:

Skiing is the best sport I've ever found that comes close to taking a bike round a tight bend at 100mph+... and you don't die if you balls it all up Toofy Grin . Also... I love skiing and am fast becoming fairly fanatical about it, but there are many different types of beauty. I've never sailed for months on end solo across a large ocean, I've never paddled 2 miles of grade 5 rapids. I have spent 6 hours climbing a large frozen waterfall, my heart in my mouth, every muscle bursting, surrounded by blue light filtering though translucent cascades... and that is every bit as good as my experiences on planks; being on your own, picking a line down steep difficult ground (ok - slightly inclined with the odd rock poking though) rolling eyes
snow report
geri wrote:
7th January is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year - read it in the newspaper - must be true wink

There's some truth in that as well - not only am I working it but I've also got to get my own tea!!
snow report
balls at least it's snowing in europe, it's not all bad! a long as when i switch to the St Anton webcam on Sunday and it's snowing then i'll be happy!
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Whitegold, has anyone ever called you an arrogant, opinionated, grumpy old git? If not, I suggest that you try to get out more.

Hmm, interesting choice of user name. I always think if I want jewellery silver-coloured I get silver or platinum - why get gold that's painted to look silver?

If we rub away at you Whitegold, do we get a little Tim sitting under his wooden bridge tapping away at his keyboard?

Because you see a chappy over on SCGB had said yesterday that he has started posting here under another user name. Now this could be a double double bluff, but you do seem to get the same reactions to your posts. Although this guy Tim has said people are nicer to him now he's not posting under his 'real' name Confused which I think may be stretching the truth somewhat?

Ah me - must think of better things to do when I can't get to sleep than ponder who Tim's alter ego is rolling eyes Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Because you see a chappy over on SCGB had said yesterday that he has started posting here under another user name. Now this could be a double double bluff, but you do seem to get the same reactions to your posts. Although this guy Tim has said people are nicer to him now he's not posting under his 'real' name which I think may be stretching the truth somewhat?

cathy, I saw that as well and wondered?
snow report
Tim says it isn't him... is this a double double double bluff?

Anyway, I like grumpy opionated old gits, being one myself.

I think wind-surfing and mountain-biking are comparable, but the beauty of being out in the mountains when they are white adds the icing on the cake to skiing. One day I will go to the alps or the rockies in the summer, just not yet.

To add to the topic, I have met a few people who moved out to the mountans and then seemed to have stayed a season or so too long. Also I wonder if - for many of us - skiing would be less exciting if it was something we did most days. It is heresy to say this I know.
snow conditions
plectrum, are you in IT? Why not move to an alpine country and do your normal job. The winter season can last from October until May and the remaining 5 months are not too bad for doing other things. Weekend skiing + days off work for good conditions (or even a sneaky morning or afternoon on flexitime) gives plenty of days on the slopes with the variety of going to lots of different resorts depending on the weather and snow.

If you are not the sort that gets homesick then living and working in Switzerland has so much to offer.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, I quite like the double double double bluff myself! Toofy Grin
latest report
nessy, living and working in munich has something to be said for it as well! 45 minutes to the nearest decent skiing, mountain biking till you drop, lakes, walks, 2h30 to Italy and 2h15 to St.Anton... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
TallTone, that is my plan. Very Happy To do a season... maybe try and get a job in resort permanently, cos when I've finished college I'll have computer technician skills.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We had a neighbour who lived in a thatched cottage on her small holding. She had running water but no mains electricity, just gas lamps. She looked pretty happy with her simple life until she passed away a few years ago.

It was like stepping back in time when we used to visit her.
ski holidays
crazy_skier_jules, any language skills to go with that?
ski holidays
johnboy, I stayed in Vaujany about 4 years ago and our chalet hosts told us there was a lady who kept sheep or goats above the village who had never been anywhere in her life but Vaujany. Shocked
ski holidays
pistemeister, Vaujany is very nice. Can't think of any particular reason to go anywhere else, unless it's into Bourg d'Oisans for the market on Saturday.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy