Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Someone at the BBC is having a laugh

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/holiday/travel_advice/skitips.shtml

Quote:
Finally...
If you want to be with the 'in crowd', then snow blading is the latest trend to hit the slopes. This involves very short skis that are great for doing jumps, tricks and carving at high speed down well-groomed slopes. However, they're not suitable for going off-piste.

Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think I can live with being "last season" wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blades are for losers, in any season.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok admit that blades have been around for a few years, but what is the latest trend?

Blades are certainly the latest trend to have taken off in any noticeable way. Before that Snowboarding.

This is of course ignoring the various trends of short skis, long skis, carving skis etc but just looking at a very generic activity.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold, Personally think they are fun for an afternoon, great for skiing with the kids as easy to walk up to them etc.

Invaluable at Xscape with kids as can get behind them to get them safely on lift
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

but what is the latest trend?

Ski's Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, I was going to say to wait for Whitegold's view, but I see he's already commented!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
True story:

Young lad on slopes to father as large group of blokes on blades goes past (the group are playing tig): "What are those short skis?"

Father: "They are blades. They are not like real skis, they are for fun."

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 5-01-07 12:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
" Carving at high speeds " Puzzled Surely not?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Liam wrote:
" Carving at high speeds " Puzzled Surely not?

Yes, and the steeper the better! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris wrote:
Whitegold, Personally think they are fun for an afternoon, great for skiing with the kids as easy to walk up to them etc.

Invaluable at Xscape with kids as can get behind them to get them safely on lift

Agreed. Blades are great, if not perfect, for kids. Adults just look sad.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold, Surely it's up to each person to choose what to ski on ? I use blades because I find them great fun, why do I go on ski holidays?
To have fun, enough said.
NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:
Blades are for losers, in any season.

another happy quote from you wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some people seem to have a problem with fun by the looks of it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For the past 5 years I have owned a pair of blades and use them for at least a couple of half days each trip. They are good fun and I find them particularly useful when skiing with people of lesser ability. I enjoy skiing with other but some times they may not want to venture beyond the blues or easy blacks, doing these runs on skis would not be terribly challenging for me, but putting a pair of blades on and trying to keep up on steep slopes or moguls is certainly a challenge. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who enjoys themselves on the white stuff without upsetting others is fine by me, regardless of what they have strapped to their feet!
snow report
Bladers are the new boarders, I really dont like them why?
Because on my frist trip out on my brand new ski's standing at the back of a lift que a blader comes down and cuts across the top of my ski's cutting my top sheet.
I did give him a mouth full and if had not carried on I would have gave him more.
ski holidays
Nick_C, same happened to me in the Castleford indoor slope, but out on the slope.
The thing that annoys me is that bladers can change direction in an unpredictable way. Not particularly their problem, but even beginner skiiers doing random things I can usually avoid. Bladers just seem to move in a brownian sort of way.
I realy must try it sometime so I can comment objectively.
ski holidays
I see the fun police are out in this thread!! I suspect most of those who knock snowblades have never tried them, let alone used them to their potential, and fun aside they can be a useful tool in improving ski technique.

Also they are short, they are light, and that makes them easy to carry about. Get these little planks on their edges, carving sweetly on steep granular spring snow, then come back and tell me they're crap, no fun, no good. Get onto something like the West Wall or Cas Headwall at the 'Gorm, The Wall or All the Way at Kirkwood, crank it up and delight in being able to lean out and touch the snow as you carve freely. Very Happy
latest report
I don't care what people strap to their feet in the name of fun, but to assert that blading puts you in the "in-crowd" and was the latest trend to hit the slopes did seem a bit odd to me
snow report
Absolutely - if you like your ski boards, go slide on them, although who told that journo that they are the latest thing to hit the slopes must be crazy.

Personally, having tried them a couple of years ago, I found they were just not as fun as skis - less responsive, no good off piste and frankly, if you can do jumps and tricks on something 90cm long, you may as well try the same things on somehthing 170 long and be done with it. I can't do tricks with a pack of cards, let alone a pair of skis!

As for what's really 'in', I think ALL the people on the glacier at Les Diablerets last week between then ages of 10 and 25 were on twins, quite a lot of them centre-mounted. If the snow had arrived and there had been powder to seek out I guess this might have been different, but all the younger generation were hanging out in the park or finding little drops or kickers.
ski holidays
Winterhighland wrote:
I see the fun police are out in this thread!! I suspect most of those who knock snowblades have never tried them, let alone used them to their potential, and fun aside they can be a useful tool in improving ski technique.

Also they are short, they are light, and that makes them easy to carry about. Get these little planks on their edges, carving sweetly on steep granular spring snow, then come back and tell me they're crap, no fun, no good. Get onto something like the West Wall or Cas Headwall at the 'Gorm, The Wall or All the Way at Kirkwood, crank it up and delight in being able to lean out and touch the snow as you carve freely. Very Happy

OK I'll take up your challenge Twisted Evil Razz
I used to own a pair of Line skiboards, gave them away after many years of non-use.

Why in Kirkwood, a place blessed with so much snow and great off-piste, would you choose snowblades/skiboards?
For carving a pair of decent GS skis or even better slalom skis are better for me. For powder/crud/trees/drops/etc a pair of fat twin-tips I think are the way forward (and more "in" as zammo eluded to).
Just on a I'm-a-boring-no-fun-person technical point, if you can lean out and touch the ground does that suggest that you might not be angulating, hence not weighting the outside ski properly and losing that whole carving sensation? Razz wink
ski holidays
Why in Kirkwood - well hell I even got on a snowboard in Kirkwood! Laughing
snow conditions
I quite like boards from time to time, they can't be fashionable Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy