Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria resort recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from Soll - our first skiing holiday and now have the bug so hope to go again in Feb half term - the second half term week - 17th onwards.
Tempted by Austria again but have heard the local and German schools send kids there for ski hols and even the Neilson reps said it can be manic so would appreciate some advice about where to go where it won't be so busy - we are advanced beginners so need some nice easy blue runs and don't need a huge ski area. We found the runs and area around the midstation very confusing ie sussing out which runs were which and how to get to them so the simpler the better! Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sally s,
Galtur is a pleasant snow sure resort with a compact ski area of its own (There is a much bigger one just down the road) I went there one xmas New Year which is usually a busy period and it certainly was not to busy, haven't been in Feb though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sally s, I guess that to get quieter resorts means that you would have to avoid the places that the main tour operators go to. This may mean that you would have to book up the whole package independantly. I am tempted to try some of the smaller resorts near Schladming as they are not ones that I had otherwise heard of and reports that I have seen on here make them sound a little quieter. Places like Flacheau, Radstadt, Wagrain, Zauchansee. There are snowHeads based in some of those places that would be able to give better information should you want to take this suggestion further.

If you are limited to school holidays, one trip I did in 2006 that was really quiet was to Hintertux in the May half term. I don't think any other european country gets holidays at that time of year and most Brits have packed away their skis by then. The resort is so high (you can ski all year round) and the snow was great - in fact we did get some fresh snow while there (in fact iirc, there was quite a bit of snow in early June last year at Hintertux). When the sun came out it was really warm too. I would love to do it again this year, but it may not work with school exams for my kids.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sally s, if you're constrained by school term times then the second week of Easter is worth considering - we've been doing it for several years. We've only been to Val Thorens at this time of year though...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro,
Quote:

Places like Flacheau, Radstadt, Wagrain, Zauchansee.

On a very brief visit last year Flachau was the busiest resort I can ever remember for queuing. Zauchensee just around the corner was quiet and very pleasant though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for these. We are unfortunately only able to go the Feb 17th onwards week - so have now been wondering about Scandinavia too - all the brochures say it is very quiet there. Wish I could get an honest answer out of a tour operator about how busy a resort will be!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sally s, I'm going to be in Zell am See that week, and expect it to be full of British school parties (I'll be with one of them!!). Austria will be popular that week, with school groups going to any resort that has more than 1 lift....so the smaller ones may still be busy!!

It may be worth looking into Swiss resorts. These are not particularly popular with school groups from UK...not sure how many Swiss will be there though!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is tricky to find somwhere which is quiet for the Feb half term week. Our apartment in Gastein is booked that week and I expect it to be pretty busy.

Maybe you could think about going somewhere that no-one has ever heard about (see the thread somewhere on the forums). I´ve been to Wildkogel before which is in Nuekirchen in Austria. It´s not far from the Zillertal (you can bus it to the Arena) or Zell am See so you could do some day tips there.

Just some thoughts but i´d go along with Elizabeth B, if it has a lift, it´ll be busier than usual.

Kersh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
try filzmoos its only 40 mins from salzbugh and never very busy. it only has 8 lifts but there will be plenty to keep you amused. it also has a free ski bus 3 x week to flachau (20mins) which in all fairness does get crowded. even at new year week you never queue more than 5 mins at filzmoos. it is a very pretty small typical austrian village dome church etc very good mountain huts plus free leasure center.
rohrmoos is also good mostly ski in ski out near schladming but hotels tend to get booked up quicker
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for that - we feel the need for a package deal to be looked after as we are so new to this and so far can only find Inghams offering Filzmoos so will bookmark that. May have to hang on in the hope of a better deal. Thanks Eliz for the warning off Zell am See! We are looking at Scandinavia now thinking it will be less busy with school trips but have just realised that Neilson are adding £100 pp to price for flight supplements at half term so that's bust the budget already!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we did a couple of long weekends with snowscape to fieberbrun and st johan am tirol. Resorts were relatively quiet so may be worth a look. We were there in january though but it was the week end of the big race that begins with an H that I can never remember the name of.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sally s, you could base yourself in Mayrhofen and use the bus and train service to other resorts in the Ziller Valley if Mayrhofen gets too busy. The ski area is huge (although not all lift linked) and the transport is covered under the lift pass. We found very good value tour op packages to Mayrhofen and stayed in the Hotel Neuhaus which is near (2 mins. walk) to a bus stop and the train station.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sally s we went to schladming 3 years ago in feb half term it was not to busy went with equity ski on a complete package it was great stayed at the sport royer hotel with massive
pool tennis court(indoor) even a rifle range, good town and flood light skiing the tobaggan night run is not to be missed. equity also provide a guide so you can avoid the crowds if you want
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sally s, I live in Austria - Ski Amade network. There are loads of places that are very quiet. Flachau is very busy as its directly off the motorway so attracts alot of through traffic. If you are after accommodation then have a look at the Ski Amade site and post an enquiry. Here is the link - http://holiday.skiamade.com/enquiry/ . If you want to know about a particular area - just give me a shout. The skibus network here is excellent. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks flangesax - I can see that in a few years when we know what we are doing we may go for a private chalet but at the mo need a package deal as we are still clueless about skibuses, piste maps etc and need tuition and hand holding - is there a website for expats renting chalet rooms to Brits - finding individual chalets via web isn't simple. Thanks.
snow report
sally s, we hold guests hands - all part of the service. A good chalet website is www.chaletsdirect.com most are in France. Very Happy
ski holidays
Cheers - thanks for that and will add to my list of places to look at when we have scraped together the funds!
ski holidays
Try Maria Alm... beautiful village, easy skiing, no Brits, short transfers (c 120 euros for a taxi from salzburg airport) , as long as that part of Austria gets some snow. It's a stunning setting and unlike a lot of the mainstream operator tourist traps.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy