Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drinking Bottles

Poster: A snowHead
Slightly away from skiing but does anyone know if it is ok to keep using sports bottles(cycle type) on a daily basis for water?? It gets rinsed every night(if i remember) but someone told me that they can be not so good for the health... tho i dont know in what way. so what i'm asking is.... are they safe??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mistermouse, you would need to sterilise them from time to time with a sterilising solution similar to milton or wash in water and detergent as hot as possible especially the nozzles a rinse is no good.

My sons school provide plastic water bottles and tried them washing once a week through the school canteen dishwasher and the EHO were not happy and insist on every other day as an acceptable minimum.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mistermouse, I sterilise my Camelbak, and scub out the tubes, at least once every 18 months. Whether it needs it or not!

I may bring this forward if I'm unable to seem my hand under the tubing.

I don't think it's going to hurt you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mistermouse, depends on what sort of plastic (polycarbonate? LDPE? polypropylene? PET?) and whom you listen to. For example, if the bottle is polycarbonate, you may want to read up on Bisphenol A (Wikipedia link here, Sierra Club, etc.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what do you use to scrub the tube marc??? Just noticed my tube is pretty cloudy Going green
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, I use a length of wire and a bit of dishcloth pulled through with hot water a few times. I dont worry about a sterilsing them as I think the water you use out the chalet tap will be a lot more harmful. I just wash my camelbak out when I get home after every trip.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, these liddle beaudies
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill wrote:
kitenski, these liddle beaudies

aha, and I thought I was a gadget man Wink

cheers,

Greg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, Thanks for the link, it seems to answer my question well.

"(Other plastics that are not known to leach are #2 HDPE and #4 LDPE."

My bottle in question is a #4 LDPE so i should be safe
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rinse out the bottle with some good ole Coca-Cola Classic. The chemicals in the coke will kill anything. Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the good old days, we used to pop our bottles/Camelbaks in the freezer to kill off nasties - well others did.

But never use a steam sterilizer on your camelbak bladder Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But why do my SIS clear plastic 4LDPE cycle bottles still smell of GO Electrolyte after a trip through the dishwasher?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've used steradent tabs in our drink bottles. Handy tube to carry around.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I cannot claim to know much about the leeching properties of various plastics etc etc but I usually find it sufficient to buy a litre of evian / buxton or other 'designer' water and then keep using the bottle with tap water in it until I lose it or it falls apart. Probably the health police will have a heart attack but I think modern mans obsession with germs / sterilisation / cleanliness has a lot to do with the poor health and strange allergies of younger generations. rolling eyes

I do have a cycling bottle which always smells of plastic no matter how many times it is used or washed out. Dunno what plastic it is made of though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, Bisphenol 'A' is of course a suspect endocrine disruptor, but what you also have to consider is the fact that the drink is only in contact with the surface of the material which otherwise solidly contains this plasticiser within the plastic. Once leached from the surface intially further contamination is likely to be at a far lower rate, if even noticable. In theory scrubbing up the surface every now and again, could make things worse! From one of your resident chemists!
snow conditions
Ali bottles and boil them
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy