Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 20th - 27th Jan 2007

Poster: A snowHead
I know there was a little list on a thread somewhere, but I can't find it.

spyderjon, Linds, The Q's (Rachael; 21 again!?), me and a few others are in the resort then, but who else is about and fancies a shandy or a slide that week?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I will be around that week, I will PM nearer the time and when I know where I am staying (rolling eyes long story)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marc gledhill,
Quote:

fancies a shandy

As if any of us will be boozing that week rolling eyes Laughing
There was some suggestion of meeting up for drinks on the Tuesday as officially we have the Wednesday off on the course (I dont know if my legs will still be functioning by then rolling eyes ) as I understand (may be wrong, of course) we do have things going on in the evenings e.g feedback sessions etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="Linds"]As if any of us will be boozing that week....... [/quote]

I did say shandy Little Angel
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll be there too. WRT perceived standard of skiing I have made no claims but I think that I did once claim to be an advanced-intermediate drinker wink . With my increasing age I may have to reclassify myself as a novice.

This will be my second proper skiing holiday and I think that I will have a few questions will it be alright to post them here once I have them laminated?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ianmacd, I make no claims about my drinking or skiing skills (not very so good at either rolling eyes ), but I am not as old as some on this trip
(I am of course refering to Mr Q) Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="ianmacd"]..I did once claim to be an advanced-intermediate drinker wink . With my increasing age I may have to reclassify myself as a novice.[/quote]

Sorry, forum rules declare we have to hold you to this "Advanced Drinker" statement. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As promised here are the questions that I have been able to think of just now.

I have annual travel insurance that covers off piste skiing "with a qualified guide in areas that resort management consider to be safe". Is this sufficient?

How cold is it likely to be. My only previous skiing was in Obergurgl in April and it was very warm.

Approximately how much cash am I likely to need?

Most importantly can I ski with snowHeads on the Wednesday because I don't know anyone else? (please bear in mind I am a pretty feeble skier).

I'm sure I'll think of more questions in due course.

Thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ianmacd, my insurance says the same. Basically, be with a guide or you ain't covered. If the guide thinks it safe, then I think I should be OK.

It will probably be a fair bit colder than April, although the weather is hard to nail down. I'd guess it could have been as warm as 8 or 10 degrees for you last time. In January it may not really get over 0* at any time and (hopefully) could be a lot colder than that. You should plan accordingly, I'll be taking layers of clothing so I can put more on or take more off depending on the day; base layer, fleece, shell. Also inner gloves, thin balaclava and some thermal 3/4 length pant just in case.

Cash wise, Verbier has a reputation for being pricey, though I've not been. That said, we've already paid for Breakfast, tea and evening meal so you'll need enough for lunch stops and evening drinks. I'm thinking about £250 - £300 to be on the safe side, but you could survive easily on half that.

On wednesday spyderjon and I are out for the day on a sneaky lesson to get the jump on our class mates. However I'm sure the rest of your group, and other snowHead , would be more than happy to sort something out. You'll have three days to make your new bestist mates snowHead

I'm looking forward to it and starting to get excited now. Only 11 sleeps. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

be with a guide or you ain't covered.

ianmacd, I have just been looking at both the Warren and the Peak ski stuff as my insurance says pretty much the same with take advice from a guide and ski with a guide. Spyderjon Do they class the Instructors as guides?
Go prepared for any weather, better/cheaper to have it than have to buy in resort if you need more layers. You can always rinse things out if you are worried about how much to carry and baggage allowance or you could just smell for the rest of the week Laughing
Quote:

Verbier has a reputation for being pricey,

Like Marc I was budgeting around the same but I also need to get lift pass in resort (can do on a card).
We only have one evening to pay to eat out and 2 evenings we have video analysis so wouldnt have thought we would go too far on those evenings.
However, I am a bit older than you, and cant hold my booze as well (from your discription) so, apart from Tuesday evening, Mrs Q's do Laughing I dont envisage too many late nights Little Angel
There will be plenty people to ski with on the Wednesday (I was thinking about checking out the SCGB rep Shocked )
Only 11 sleeps to go but I have to work 6 of those rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only 10 sleeps for me because we're going on the Friday and staying in Le Chable overnight Very Happy Very Happy

MrQ and I have a ski clinic booked for Monday and Wednesday afternoons, but otherwise would love to meet up to ski with anyone who'd like (bearing in mind that after Tuesday I'm officially old Sad )

The more the merrier for wherever we end up on the evening of the 23rd.

Snowball (snowHead) and some of his mates are staying in Le Chable for the week and intend to do some gnarly skiing with a guide all week, but hopefully we'll meet up sometime during the week.

ianmacd, I'll PM you my mobile so you can get in touch if you want to.

Getting very excited Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MrsJohnw and I will be there. We did the same course last year and it was hard work but great fun.

Quote:

would love to meet up to ski with anyone who'd like (bearing in mind that after Tuesday I'm officially old

We have been officially old Puzzled for some years and we too would be happy to ski with anyone on Wednesday (sort of intermediate standard).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for their responses. Can't wait to get there. I'm sure I had thought of more questions...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ianmacd, johnw
Im getting the Luton 0615hrs flight are any of you going out on this one?

RachelQ, I will give you a call at the weekend
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Linds, Nope - we're going by car.
snow conditions
Linds, I'm 0715 out of Manchester.

I'm relying on Jon and you to prevent the transfer bus from leaving without me. It could be touch and go if I'm delayed. Shocked
snow conditions
marc gledhill, If our flights are delayed we may all end up meeting in the baggage reclaim Laughing
snow report
Hi all

Me and hubby are on the WS course and we flying out of Birmingham on the 06.55 so we will be catching the 11.00 Alpine Express bus to Verbier. Really looking forward to it, did the Saas-Fee course in Sept and had a great time. Is everyone staying at the Chalet L'Epervier?

Looking forward to meeting some snowHead 's
snow conditions
Sparkygirl, wonderful. This means I can now count on Linds, Jon, Sparkygirl and Mr Sparky girl making the 11.00 bus wait - how cool is that! snowHead
snow conditions
Drat I'm on the 10.20 from Glasgow. No skiing for me on Saturday Sad

Looking forward to meeting everyone. snowHead
snow conditions
We'll be skiing on the Saturday, cos we're staying in Le Chable overnight on Friday and heading up to Verbier early. It sounds as if an apres ski meeting of snowHeads on Saturday would be a good idea. Who knows a good place? I have heard good things of the apres ski bar of the Farinet Hotel - well, it says not for the faint-hearted, so that sounds pretty much like apres a few weeks ago in Ischgl Laughing
snow report
Why do I keep posting as JohnQ when I'm logged on as me Puzzled
snow conditions
Has JohnQ ever managed a post under his own login or are they all yours RachelQ Laughing
latest report
Quote:

apres ski meeting of snowHeads on Saturday would be a good idea

RachelQ, As long as I can go home by 10pm (you know what my staying power is like rolling eyes ) Laughing

FenlandSkier, I bet you wish you were coming with us NehNeh

Quote:

count on Linds, Jon, Sparkygirl and Mr Sparky girl making the 11.00 bus wait

marc gledhill, What time do you land?

Only 8 sleeps to go snowHead (and 5 nightshifts rolling eyes )
snow report
Linds, 10.20 Twisted Evil
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, all mine Laughing JohnQ thinks it's all a bit weird. He's very happy to come on the snowHead bashes if I organize it though rolling eyes
ski holidays
Not jealous of you lot at all Toofy Grin while you're all coming back on the 27th I'll be on the slopes in Saalbach Very Happy with a bunch of fellow snowHead who'd consider 10.20 to be knocking off early!!
snow report
FenlandSkier, 10.20's when my planes' wheels' are meant to meet Geneva tarmac.

It will also be the time I'll be getting started with Warren every morning and the time I'll make Linds get her purse out every evening. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

time I'll make Linds get her purse out every evening

marc gledhill, Oh no rolling eyes
I'll be tucked up in my bed by then each evening (covered in a mixture of Deep Heat and Ibroprofen gel Shocked ) Laughing
snow conditions
I could really have done without some complete %£$* driving into the back of my car this morning on the way to work. They then drove off and didn't even stop. Thankfully not too much damage but still really pissed about it.

Still 5 days to go and my last lesson (for now) on plastic tonight.
ski holidays
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead sleeps to go Laughing
(only 4 for me cos I'm still on nights Laughing )

ianmacd, That's not good Sad Did nobody manage to get the registration number for you?
snow conditions
ianmacd, keep those thumbs out of the dendix
snow conditions
spyderjon I'm not even going to think about that

Linds it happened on a roundabout when a car on my outside pulled in and I braked. The car behind just drove off. It was low speed and nobody injured.

You can see I don't know how to do bold Puzzled
snow conditions
I see that some strange airborne white stuff is due in town over the next couple of days, with a storm front perhaps at the weekend.

Prayer mats out again tonight please campers snowHead
snow conditions
marc gledhill, That's good news - I'm just about to set off for my Wednesday Morning workshop on the dry slope - in the rain rolling eyes
snow report
marc gledhill, Ski Club are saying 10cm in the next six days, and -17 wind chill on Sunday. Only snowHead snowHead more sleeps!
latest report
johnw, I'm impressed by your dedication.

I hope this sneaky (and frankly underhand) practice session stands you in good stead for next week Twisted Evil

I'll be off down the gym at lunchtime myself.
snow conditions
Quote:

Prayer mats out again tonight please campers

marc gledhill, I didnt know we were camping Shocked You getting excited yet? rolling eyes
Quote:

Ski Club are saying 10cm in the next six days

RachelQ, Is that male or female 10cms ? Laughing

Now where did I put those skis?
latest report
RachelQ wrote:
Ski Club are saying 10cm in the next six days

Look Linds, knee deep powder!!!
latest report
FenlandSkier, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy