Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How far can I expect to get?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just been reading in this month's Ski and Board about Corbett's Couloir in Jackson Hole, and the Steep and Deep camp that the Ski Club organises there each year.

My question is, at 33, if I continue to practice, push myself, and take lessons, skiing four to five weeks a year, is it reasonable to expect that I may be at a level of skiing that I would be able to ski such a run?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes

wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Surely Corbett's Couloir is as much about the leap and the landing, as the skiing ?

I saw a different article in another magazine, a few years ago, where you could be winched in to the couloir to eliminate that part of the challenge until after you had mastered the turns.

I am not sure regular practice would be much use. You would need something specific like the course advertised.

Alternatively, if you are a bit of a chancer and you have the bottle, you could just go for it.

The same article also mentions a good number of fractures amongst those who take Corbetts on.

It is a long way back to the UK as well, with a change of flight required. Good Luck.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, at 33 to be that worried about your physical ability is a a tiny bit scary. You're at an age where you're still able to build muscle, increase aerobic capacity and have an income that gives you the opportunity to exploit them . . . the only thing stopping you from doing anything is wasting time asking dumb questions like this and not getting yourself fit and strong enough to do the job and survive a 'fubar' and do it again if you get it wrong the first time.
Stop peeing around and get on with it, 'cos believe me, add two decades and it squares the effort needed to achieve the same result.

I'm not prepared to sooth your worried brow . . . stop being a lardy wus. Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I expect you're good enough now
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, if you can do Saudan's, you can do Corbett's - I haven't done either, but they both have an interesting entrance, and the rest is not as difficult.

If you really want to do Corbett's, get in contact with Bob Peters.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, Yes, from the technical perspective. It sounds as if the vertigo is better after Canada, thta would be the thing that would really hold you back on a steep, narrow that required jumping into. Do you really want to do it though? If so, why? there are lots of steep couloirs out there that don't require dropping into .....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, by Saudan's do you mean Couloir Extreme in Whistler?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, it's just a possible goal? Very Happy

Masque, worry ye not, I'm not losing any sleep over it, just wondering whether it is a realistic goal.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, by Saudan's do you mean Couloir Extreme in Whistler?

Yes, sorry, I'm a bit old fashioned at times!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, you're only 33 Shocked

wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rockyrobin's out there for the season so maybe he'll pitch in.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, I've not skied it, yet.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, I've not skied it, yet.

Well, you're good enough - I guess you just need to get back out to Whistler again... Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here's some homework :-

http://youtube.com/v/mm9Npjp-Eu0
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, indeed I do. Very Happy
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
Kramer, you're only 33 Shocked

wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing that's even bitchier than mine Laughing
latest report
Kramer,
Quote:

My question is, at 33, if I continue to practice, push myself, and take lessons, skiing four to five weeks a year, is it reasonable to expect that I may be at a level of skiing that I would be able to ski such a run?

As a 40-something - YES ! snowHead

I have no idea how you ski...but 33 is waayy to young to start worrying about that sort of thing.

BTW My mum (75) is going on her first off-piste course later this year : Shocked
ski holidays
Krammer,

Ignore the bitching I didn't think you were 33 at all.

Actually from some of your posts on here I thought you were around 12 years old. Smile Wink
snow report
Kramer, Once your proven speed is turned to pure technique you sjhould have no problems. I suspect that you previous bout of vertigo may well be playing on your mind here.

Those of you that have not seen Kramer ski could well see the mickey taking boot on the other foot should you ever ski with him Toofy Grin
snow report
Kramer,

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours."

"You are never given a wish without being given the power to make it true.
You may have to work for it, however."

Richard Bach

If you really want to do it.....Go for it!!!!
snow report
Kramer,
Couloir Extreme is easier than most of the stuff off Spankys. Only downside is it's a bit of a trophy run so the entrance gets a bit ropey, it gets bumped up quickly and is a bit of a bowling alley because it's quite narrow and often has quite a few people skiing it who shouldn't be. Don't really like it myself, there are far better lines off chainsaw ridge.
To spice it up a little they used to do a GS race down it. Shocked
ski holidays
Thanks for all the opinions guys.
snow conditions
Kramer, you just need to believe. Have faith. Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
stuarth,

if it is the one i'm thinking of my instructor used to pretty much straightline it regularly with his mates as a kid.... some story about jumping a windlip when it was set up right.... although I am a bit unsure about it all now.... I was shown the entrance and approx take off and landing points.... also some interesting stories re skiing down the road outta there in the dark with sparks coming off everyones skis....

Ya just gotta hate folks that grow up in a ski resort with a glacier allowing them to ski day in and day out almost all year!!!! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Kramer,

Corbetts is on my list of things that I want to do (but will probably never get there or will bottle out of).

From what I've read conditions make a big difference, a channel is created where the skiers land. Some hit this channel and get thrown towards the wall. As Fox says speak to someone like Bob Peters. Bob has taken many down Corbetts and can point out what to avoid and when the conditions are right for you to ski it. Some have even survived to tell the tale Wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 3-01-07 12:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
DB wrote:
As Fox says speak to someone like Bob Peters he has taken many down Corbetts and can point out what to avoid

Avoid the Cajun Couloir. Wink
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
How far can I expect to get?

Down Corbetts I'd expect you to get further than at least one ski, your gloves and front teeth. (crawl back up to retreive these items).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Kramer, just make sure the ski patrol know to look for your teeth - they're not very good at it rolling eyes
ski holidays
If you are not picking off those sorts of routes now then you probably aren't ready for it. Some of things may be more mental than physical.
latest report
JT, I don't feel that I've reached my limits yet.
snow report
Kramer, I think you've reached ours wink snowHead
snow report
JT wrote:
If you are not picking off those sorts of routes now then you probably aren't ready for it. Some of things may be more mental than physical.

I'd second this. Anybody is physically fit enough to fall down Corbetts but only the truly mental give it a go. Wink
snow conditions
Masque, Neither you nor I were there when he did reach his limits! Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
easiski, don't remind us Shocked

in case Kramer hasn't seen this one, a reminder http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/14

(need to be logged in)

(Callum was said to be a JH piste patroller by the way wink )
snow report
I've had a great week at Jackson over new year many years ago, Corbetts was shut, but I didn't feel like I missed out, still had some great skiing.

As others have said, the "tough" part is the jump in, and the first turn, after that it's a nice powder run, I skied the pitch underneath it Smile

From some TGR videos I've seen there are far tougher lines in Jackson!

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:

in case Kramer hasn't seen this one, a reminder http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/14

(need to be logged in)

I've watched that video before and the thing I noticed was that Callum turned very early on entry so's to mimimize the drop, then had a steeper line because of the first outcrop on his right and lost control. The 2 subsequent guys didn't turn so early, hence had a bigger drop-in and landed their turns lower and nearer the rocks on their left, so had a more controllable line out to their first proper turn to the left.
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:

(need to be logged in)

Piece of cake - I can't see what all the fuss is about. Toofy Grin Shocked
ski holidays
"How far can you expect to get ?" Looking at the vid, I would say at least 100 metres Toofy Grin

Madness.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy