Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing California late March/early April - suggestions please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of going to LA to visit friends late March/first couple of weeks April and wondered if that is too late to fit in a few days ski-ing in Lake Tahoe area. Can anyone advise what conditions are likely to be at that time of year (I cannot see on the Heavenly website where it says when their season ends), where is best to base ourselves - Heavenly or Kirkwood or...? Accommodation recommendations really welcome, also easiest way to get there from LA. We are 2 adults (intermediate skiers), 2 children (8 & 10, just done their second weeks skiing). Have noticed Heavenly and Kirkwood get recs on the thread about best ski resort no-ones ever heard of, but cannot work out how to pm the authors of those posts (help - someone tell me how to do a pm!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gamekeeper, From LA I'd be heading for Mammoth... Tahoe is best accessed from San Fran and, unless you're willing to fly LA to Reno and then transfer, it's a massive journey for just a few days (I'm assuming here you're driving). As it is Mammoth should take you up to 6 hours from LA. I've not been there since Intrawest built the new village (and I hear it's great) but I liked the mountain. Plenty there for your team. I have trouble PMing as well... normally discover how by accident.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mammoth is usually open from at least Nov to May. Sometimes Oct to Jul. There will be more than enough open in Apr to fill a weekend.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gamekeeper, I'm heading to Tahoe on 17th March (need to book my flights yet) - going in to Reno. I've been assured the conditions should be excellent then.

I'm going out for ESA West, and the EpicSki Gathering - so if you around then, there'll be a crowd of us out there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gamekeeper, we skiied Mammoth and Tahoe in april 2005 and conditions in both areas were great, there are a few pics in my gallery which will show you there was plenty of snow. It was apparently the same in 2006.

As Bode Swiller, says Mammoth is a far better best if you are planning to drive from LA. We stayed at the Mammoth Creek Inn which was very nice. Most places in Mammoth will require a drive to the lifts each day but as long as you dont mind that you'll be spoilt for choice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gamekeeper, distance may be an issue (unless as suggested you catch a plane) but conditions at Heavenly should be good. We were there last easter (9th - 15th April) and they looked like this:

Best snow I've EVER skied, by miles. Resort is great too, we rode the gondola up from outside our hotel door each morning.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Still considering a trip to Tahoe in late March early April.

AxsMan, It is photos like that which inspired me snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks to all who have replied so far, very inspirational photos. Will be looking into the options re flights/driving etc, AxsMan where did you stay? Are there any other small resorts nearer to LA than Mammoth does anyone know?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gamekeeper, We stayed at the Marriot Grand Residence which is very comfortable and sits right at the foot of the gondola in the Heavenly Village. There are plenty of other hotels/apartments to chose from though, and all are at most a short walk from the lift. We flew into San Francisco and drove up to heavenly - about 3 hours if it's not snowing, about 4 1/2 if it is (which it was on the way back Shocked ) . Great place, will probably go back again next year.

johnboy, Go for it, it was our best ever trip (and that was without the add on couple of days to Vegas and the grand canyon Very Happy )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gamekeeper, Skied in Mammoth in April a couple of year sback, and it is fab. Can't remember the name of the hotel - the alpenhof or something - but it was next to the new Intrawest development and a 10 metre walk to the lift. The development meant that there were bars, restaurants, shops etc right outside the door, and I will definately be going back. Take a car, have a day in June whilst you are there - we were literally the only people on the mountain whilst we were there, and it has a huge terrain park which was in excellent condition.

We were there for 10 days, then drove through Death Valley and met up with a stag do in Las Vegas - a truly magnificent holiday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Are there any other small resorts nearer to LA than Mammoth does anyone know?

Try this site

http://www.socalskiresorts.com/

It will take you to Mammoth and June and a few others. If you go for the ones nearer LA go during the week as I imagine that there would be an huge weekend influx from LA........as there is, to an extent at Mammoth as the Angelenos are not fazed at all by the drive up. We skied there in April 2005, marvellous conditions and very empty slopes Mon to Fri but it did get busier at the weekend. A trip to June Mountain at the weekend should mean lesser crowds as it is Mammoth that gets really busy.

Having done the drive from LA (in good weather) it is pretty easy and scenic, so if you can afford the time give it a go.

If you want to do Tahoe then fly from LA to Reno (flight is 1 hour). From there it is less than an hour to North or South of the Lake. It would be a very long drive. Alternatively fly to San Francisco and drive from there (2.5 to 3 hours) or Sacramento (maybe 1-1.5 hours).

Both Mammoth and Tahoe have any number of condos etc for rental through agencies which you can find on the local visitor centre websites. There are also loads of hotels of varying quality from top notch to Bates Motel type places
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy