Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sansicario nr Sauze - opinions appreciated!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've had a search around the site, but couldn't really find much info on the above resort. Having looked at the piste map it looks like pretty good links to Sauze, and also Sestriere?

I've skied since I was 5 (am now 23) 1/2 weeks a year, my other half has done 1 week (but really progressed well - she could already waterski and ice-skate well) and the rest of the group have done a few weeks. I'm only after a fairly easy week as I broke my collarbone last year in Tignes, and don't want a repeat of that!!

Has anyone skied / stayed in Sanisario?

Also, it's great to have found a place where people as mad about skiing as me (maybe even madder!!?) can talk about skiing Very Happy

snowHead snowHead

Thanks Madeye-Smiley

EDIT: Spelled Sansicario wrongly Embarassed

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 2-01-07 15:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads thecrow! snowHead You'll find plenty of mad people here Madeye-Smiley

I know nothing about San Cisario though Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sansicario maybe ?

Via Lattea/Milky Way effectively splits in two there. You will be alright for Sestriere and Sauze using the lifts. Claviere Montgenevre may be easier by road.

I once stayed in Sauze when a blizzard closed in. I managed to get back down closed/empty pistes but others were stuck in Sansicario. That is very unusual though. I do not know what the nightlife is like there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed in Sansicario a few years ago. It connects well into the ski area, although at the time the chair lift up to Sportina (a large hub of lifts) was a very old and slow one; this made it a bit chilly first thing.

I was there with my daughter who was four or five years old. For us it was fine; ticket office, nice pizza place, hire shop, friendly hoteliers. It is very quiet though, but Sauze is an easy walk (so long as you ditch your skis and boots first) uphill into town and downhill back. Pick you hotel right and it is very nearly ski in/ski out.

For a couple with or without children it's great. If you are a group of boozy lads, you'll appreciate being in Sauze more
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thecrow,
Welcome to snowHead 's.

I have only skied Sansicario on the odd day trip and can't tell you anything about the village and my memory of the skiing is not detailed. The sking is in the milky way and gives reasonable access to both ends of the milky way. You have to go down through Cesana to get up to the Claviere Montgenevre end and over the top to got to Sauze or Sestriere.

The skiing itself is on broad west facing hillside and consists largely of easyish red runs, many of which would probably be graded blue elsewhere. The only black run at Sansicario that I came accross was overgraded. The skiing is thoug h attractive with some if the area being lightly wooded and the skiing elsewhere in the milky way enjoyable. The skiing in the sauze /Sansicario sector does not appear to get as much snow as in the Montgenevre/Claviere sector and reports of poor snow are not uncommon, probably not a resort I would book outside of high season without knowing what the snow was like.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
marc gledhill, Are you sure you were in Sansicario? That is one hell of a walk to Sauze Shocked
thecrow, Have been to Sauze for the last 5 seasons...found a great hotel and fabulous food...and from the time I have spent in Sansicario it does appear to have some excellent cruising pistes (womens downhill was in Sansicario) and very good links into the rest of the Via Lattea, however the link into the Sauze area is very susceptable to weather and is often shut. If you get stuck then it is an expensive taxi ride, or if you have time then a trip via Sestrierie.
The village of Sansicario is very limited, a couple of bars/restaurants a few hotels and mostly appartements (i presume self catering). Don't get me wrong, I havn't stayed there just walked around during a lunch stop, so there may be more to it than meets the eye. But you may be better off staying down in the valley in Cesana now that the new bubble lift is operational all the way from the valley floor and you get an excellent view of the bob track. Sause has a much more developed village with plenty of bars, restaurants (I can certainly recommend a few) and even 3 nightclubs. So really it depends on what you want, quiet selfcatering or apres ski, you pays your money, you takes your choice. If you choose Sause, then try to stay in Sauze village. We went with friends who were down in Jouvenceau and after the first 2 days couldn't be bothered to make the trip up and down the hill so ended up stuck in their hotel.
If you need any more info, then feel free to pm me,
Best regards,
Gareth.
Oh, welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Big G, Embarassed brain fart Embarassed

I was in Jouvenceaux.

I'll fetch me coat.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill,
Quote:

Embarassed brain fart Embarassed

Know how you feel... not quite fully functional after Sunday night yet myself Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Big G - What hotels would you recommend? We're planning to go to Sauze end Jan.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christ - that's some seriously quick replying from you all - I'm impressed! Shock And thanks for the welcome Smile

First off, yup, spelled that name wrong- I've been Googling for it all morning but still can't spell it - damn copy and paste Wink

marc gledhill wrote:
I stayed in Sansicario a few years ago. It connects well into the ski area, although at the time the chair lift up to Sportina (a large hub of lifts) was a very old and slow one; this made it a bit chilly first thing.

I was there with my daughter who was four or five years old. For us it was fine; ticket office, nice pizza place, hire shop, friendly hoteliers. It is very quiet though, but Sauze is an easy walk (so long as you ditch your skis and boots first) uphill into town and downhill back. Pick you hotel right and it is very nearly ski in/ski out.

For a couple with or without children it's great. If you are a group of boozy lads, you'll appreciate being in Sauze more

- that's Jovencaux isn't it, per your reply above - I've stayed there, at the Edelweiss too as it happens! That lift was a bit useless, but on the other hand did mean you didn't have to suffer the queues at Sauze 'proper' Wink

T Bar wrote:
thecrow,
Welcome to snowHead 's.

I have only skied Sansicario on the odd day trip and can't tell you anything about the village and my memory of the skiing is not detailed. The sking is in the milky way and gives reasonable access to both ends of the milky way. You have to go down through Cesana to get up to the Claviere Montgenevre end and over the top to got to Sauze or Sestriere.

The skiing itself is on broad west facing hillside and consists largely of easyish red runs, many of which would probably be graded blue elsewhere. The only black run at Sansicario that I came accross was overgraded. The skiing is thoug h attractive with some if the area being lightly wooded and the skiing elsewhere in the milky way enjoyable. The skiing in the sauze /Sansicario sector does not appear to get as much snow as in the Montgenevre/Claviere sector and reports of poor snow are not uncommon, probably not a resort I would book outside of high season without knowing what the snow was like.

- cheers Very Happy We're looking at the 4th Feb. Presumably with the slightly higher altitude resort the likelihood of runs being open to resort are higher than Sauze? Although not sure on the snow cannon situation at Sansicario.

I'm happy with fairly easy runs, so that sounds ok. I think booking anywhere around here's a bit of a lottery unless absolute last minute Embarassed

The hotel is the new one I've seen mentioned a few times on here (but only people asking for info, so I presume noone's been there yet Skullie ) called the Hotel Majestic - looks v cheap for the skiing / facilities, but is that because it's rubbish / not finished or because it's the SALE OF THE CENTURY!?

Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
harryok525, We like to go on a B&B basis...can't see the point of going to the greatest food country in the world and not sampling the best of the local grub...and stay in a little home from home called Chalet Faure(large rooms, great bathrooms), last week in Jan should still be low season so £500 per room per week. Is run by a guy called Federico (ex italian national ski squad member) there is a spa in the basement (additional charges) and a great little bar downstairs (table football, darts, cards, games etc). Have also stayed in the Relais des Alpes, this is located in the main square so is central to everywhere. Is your typical international standard 4 star hotel, approx €60pppn, but they only did half board, which we ended up paying for but not eating ( the food was very good, but we just wanted a bit more variety & choice). Friends have stayed in the Miravalle and said it was perfectly acceptable but got into a bit of trouble when they didn't turn up for dinner one night...bit too much apres Toofy Grin As for all the others in Sauze village then I can't relly comment but I suspect that they are much of a muchness. Try to avoid the Gran Trun, it is really a bar with rooms above. They have live music most nights into the early hours, which is great as somewhere to go, not so great if you want some sleep, and I have heard people complaining about the rooms aswell. Evil or Very Mad
If I think of more I shall post back, regards, G
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thecrow,
Pretty sure there are snow cannons to Sansicario as I have sometimes seen ribbons of white running to it when passing by, though I have only skied it in good snow. I'd be suprised if anywhere with snowcannons had problems with their runs to resort being open in early feb.
Don't know anything about the resort or hotel I'm afraid. If you have poorer snow I reckon you would be better off in Sansicario than Sauze for getting to Claviere but not so sure about Sestriere. I cannot remember exactly how the links work though as the connection to Sestriere from either is south facing in poor snow you probably would have to download.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar,

Thanks for that Smile

We've booked it - £307ppn 4th FEB including taxes/booking fees etc, direct with Thomson. Nice flights from STN too (local to me) and HB so can't really complain.

Hotel has a pool, gym, whirlpool, sauna etc, buffet breakfast, 4 course evening meal, and the rooms look nice from the pics.

It looks like it's in the ideal place really, in the middle of Sauze and Sestriere, and like you say, nearer to Claviere. It's also 2000m resort height as opposed to Sauze's 1500m.

Would anyone like a report on the skiing/resort when I get back?

snowHead snowHead snowHead

Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thecrow, spooky.

Nice spot though

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marc gledhill wrote:
thecrow, spooky.