Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insulated tube for Camlebak/ generic "hydration" packs

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know where I can get an insulated tube for Camlebak and/or other generic "hydration" packs.

For less than the extortionate £15 slush+rubble require for a foot long piece of neoprene hose.

or any other fantastic Heath Robinson ideas

"Personally I would go for wrapping it in several layers of the shire times but Frau Hobbiteater would refuse to accompany me - actually that sounds like a win-win situation..."
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blow the water back down the tube when you;ve had a sip. It's worked for me for the last five years and it's only ever forzen when I've forgotten to blow it back
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Use a water bottle instead ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the neoprene means that the water takes 10 minutes to freeze rather than 5. waste of money IMO

ski wrote:
Use a water bottle instead ?

we have a winner - AND you get a perfectly serviceable water bottle free every time you buy a plastic bottle of mineral water
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno wrote:
.. AND you get a perfectly serviceable water bottle free every time you buy a plastic bottle of mineral water

And what's wrong with the tap after your first purchase? wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, couldn't agree more
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I also blow the water back down, and no problems to date.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno,

Not a plastic bottle surely...??

But I'm a bottle person anyhow, when you need a drink you need a rest..whats 2 mins here or there
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Not a plastic bottle surely...??

Plastic bottle + shovel = wet clothes/camera ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The water in Mr Snowy's insulated camel bak tube froze, but then it was -20*C... *brrr!*

He had to drink water from my plastic bottle instead (stuffed inside ski socks to keep it warm!).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowy wrote:
He had to drink water from my plastic bottle instead (stuffed inside ski socks to keep it warm!).

Your boots are too big if you have room for bottles in your socks as well as your feet. Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Your boots are too big if you have room for bottles in your socks as well as your feet. Laughing

Har har! Laughing Laughing

Shall I start a new thread entitled "Are my ski boots too big?"? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, I support the plastic bottle idea completely,

yet I've noticed that quite a few people can't just drink their fill at one go but prefer to sip 3-4 mouthfuls at a time. I've come to believe that those of us who can drink our fill at one go (if I need 800ml, I'll drink 800ml) will never be able to understand the Camelbak sippers.

Now, how many have been brave enough to put an iron oxide heating sachet in next to the Camelbak bladder?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hobbiteater, try http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13367 , a bit cheapr than the whole hose. i prefer using a camelbak to a bottle cos i actually drink something, with a bottle i just end up carrying it about all day
snow report
Quote:

i prefer using a camelbak to a bottle cos i actually drink something, with a bottle i just end up carrying it about all day

I can see the point for ski touring - it's good to be able to take a drink without stopping whilst skinning....but for lift served, can't see any reason to have one at all.
snow conditions
ski, I suppose i started using it because i already had one (used for mountain biking) and i'm in the habit of supping often, i can easily drink 2 litre plus whilst skiing whereas before with a bottle maybe 500ml
snow conditions
mistermouse, thank you

reason for camelbak is that if we dont have them then the said plastic bottles live in my rucksac. When Mrs Hobbiteater wants a drink (every 2mins) i have to stop, hold still as she ferrits around sending my neatly stashed chocolate everywhere and generally upsetting things and me and then reminder that she needs to do it back up before we set off again an hour later.
latest report
I too use one 'cos I had it for mountain biking. The whole family tend to tuck in too.

The neoprene things are a waste of money though - you've got to blow the water back into the bag.
snow conditions
Just curious why people feel the need to carry a hydration pack (or indeed any kind of backpack) when skiing. Back country touring excepted of course. I always use a 3L Camelbak when mountain biking because I sweat like a pig and really need the fluid. But alpine skiing? I don't get it. My jacket has a million half empty pockets. What are you dudes carrying that requires a back-pack?
snow report
Try the likes of Bikes You Like for Camelbak bits as well, most bike shops will have them so you could try a local one.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, Aaaaggghhhhhh!!!!!

Not the "What do you put in your backback" thread again Laughing wink

Shovel, probe, water, spare fleece/shell, lunch, tools, goggles, hats, gps, compass, whistle, phone - the list can be endless, and indeed was the last time. snowHead
latest report
For once, the sales blurb is correct. If you reach a point where you are thirsty, you are becoming at least a little dehydrated. Regular sipping keeps your fluids topped up.

Waiting till the end of the day risks dehydration. Drinking loads at lunch inevitably causes later pee stops. Plus, if you end your day reasonably hydrated, you won't be mullered after only two pints in the bar ! Twisted Evil

More words of wisdom:

1. Yes, Evian bottles do burst when you land on them, causing condsiderable misery.

2. Always blow after you suck to avoid a stiff tube Embarassed
snow report
Quote:
Regular sipping keeps your fluids topped up.

So does drinking enough in one go to have 300-400ml at blood temp, ready for absorption any time the blood stream feels like it.

Quote:
Drinking loads at lunch inevitably causes later pee stops.

So does over-sipping! And if one doesn't over-sip then one is using the same old unreliable thirst mechanism to trigger sipping as before to trigger drinking one's fill.
latest report
uktrailmonster wrote:
What are you dudes carrying that requires a back-pack?
You're a border then ? (man) wink
Camelbak Snoblast, best thing I've bought for ages and got me through much beer-induced dehydration in Zermatt last week.

On the freezing issue, it does have the neoprene thing and when it got cold still froze just like the non-neoprene ones. The 'blow-back' method sounds like good advice.
ski holidays
Have any of you tried mylar tape yet?
snow report
rolling eyes Blow! Why the chuff haven't I thought of that all these years of stiff, icy tubedness!

Thanks for that one! Very Happy
ski holidays
sproggski wrote:

More words of wisdom:

1. Yes, Evian bottles do burst when you land on them, causing condsiderable misery.

2. Always blow after you suck to avoid a stiff tube Embarassed

lmao!!!

i was wondering about takin my camelback skiing as its a decent daypac if nothing else but will definitely be taking the bladder with me now. i see what people say about there being no real need to buy one but i must say that if you stop jus for a second you don't need to go rummaging around in your bag, the hose is just there! easy!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just got myself a pack where the camelbak tube goes through the shoulder strap and it also has the extra insulation on it too. Didn't think that I'd still need to be blowing back down the tube afterwards though so will have to remember that bit. My previous bag wasn't really that big so i had a bottle in the side pockets, but that just meant that the bottle would go flying down the mountain whenever I took a tumble and I'd have to go chasing after it.
ski holidays
Spideog, still blow. The water in the bite valve always seems to freeze first.
ski holidays
nbt, Kaiser, me too - and no problems
snow report
Blowing back down the tube is the way to go to save mucking around - it also works just as well (albeit for the opposite effect) in the summer, the water stays nice and cool in the backpack (generally).
If we have some sun one day, try drinking the water thats been in the tube for a little while, it aint pleasant!
ski holidays
eddyr, what about using the hot tube from summer in the winter, won't that keep it from freezing? Toofy Grin
snow report
Jerry wrote:
You're a border then ? (man) wink

Boarder even. Or is that how they spell it theze dayz Wink
Dudes existed long before boarders anyway.
snow conditions
When you blow back don't over do it, no one likes an over inflated sack Very Happy
latest report
mistermouse, instead you can hold the valve up in the air then squeeze it to let all the fluid flow back without half a lung of air.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy