Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cold feet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any tips on how I can keep my tootsies warm without making my boots too tight? (although they are pretty much worn in so there is a little room for manouvre)
I was wondering if there was any insulating material that I could get to put between shell and liner ( like that foil stuff you get at the end of marathons) or maybe thermal insoles that you get from boots that could go in the liner itself (I don't use custom foot beds)

ps I can't afford battery operated boot warmers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Two comments first off:
1. What do you wear on your head?
2. How thick are your current socks?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you need a little room in your boots so not to cut off circulation.

are your boots warm to start with? I had a problem for the first time when boots that were stored in a cool boot room were put on and then I went into the cold and stood around for a bit. Couldn't get my feet warm all day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helena, just bite the bullet and get the battery operated boot warmers. Just did myself and had happy, happy, happy toes all over Christmas snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helena, do you take your boot liners out of their shells every night to dry them? I never used to with my old boots but with my new boots I have to. It they are even vaguely damp the next day, my feet freeze.

Your boots may have leaked a little with use and have a bit of water in the heel of the boot under the plastic liner of the shell which sits underneath the liner.

You could try duct-taping up the bit at the end of the buckles to keep out the snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Vaseline or petroleum jelly - rub a bit on your toes and it keeps them toastie warm. Used to do this when I played football and it worked well when skiing. I board now and have never had cold feet. Don't know if it is the difference between hard and soft boots.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, If it's really cold (when my feet will suffer) a hat, and I put my hood up on my jacket. My socks are the thinner variety that I bought when I got my boots a couple of years ago. Now they have been worn in I have recently purchased the slightly thicker socks.
I was thinking of maybe wearing 'pop socks' ( knee high socks made from the same material as tights for all you men who might not know what I'm on about) under my socks as this wouldn't interfere too much with the thickness.

samharris, I have decided that the next boots I buy will have the warmers included so I don't want to buy them just yet... but I'm glad they work.

Just as an aside.. I only suffer with cold feet very occasionally when the temps are really low..mainly they get cold on the lifts and then thats it ..can't get them warm . I'm off to Canada in two weeks and am preparing myself for exactly those temps that will freeze my feet and I'm desperate not to have my skiing ruined!

I also always take out my liners at the end of the day and try and dry them out on a radiator
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hmmmmm ..batteries...!!!!!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helena, you need to make sure your head is warm first - once it starts to cool, then your feet will be cold no matter what.
Some of the medics on here can verify/correct this, but you lose most heat through your head, and if your head starts to cool, the body reduces blood supply to the extremities i.e. hands & feet, to keep the head warm. So, start with a warm head and that will help.

Thin socks are also warmer than thick ones, as is loosening off your boots.

If your core and head are warm, and your feet/legs aren't restricted of blood supply, then warmers (chemical or electric) are the only solution I know of - apart from boot gloves.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Totally agree with WTFH but would add that Merino is your friend in this sock discussion: He will keep your foot warm even if you sweat (and I'm sure you wouldn't) or your foot gets wet in any other way. They also dry quickly and do not smell.

I buy the smartwool ones sold by S&R and Ellis Brighams, I am sure they are widely available.

wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy