Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to buy ski boots in Hampshire/Dorset

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know there are a number of snowHead s who live in or around the Southampton, Portsmouth and Bournemouth area.

Which of the ski shops in this area would you recommend for buying boots, helmet etc for my Son. I have used Snow and Rock at Port Solent before but I am wondering if this is the best option for choice, customer service and knowledge.

TIA

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 2-01-07 12:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CP, given the choice I would tend to buy in a resort rather than in the UK, you don't say how old your son is, unless he is going to be skiing for a whole season or has stopped growing it's usually better to rent kit rather than buy.

However if you really must buy stuff the ski shop at the Christchurch dry ski slope is surprisingly well stocked and they seem to know what they are doing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CP, I bought helmets for my kids in resort last week. Prices ranged from €30 upwards and the choice was huge (each shop had a vast selection). The ones I bought were €62 and €68, which I didn't think too bad.

For buying boots, I'd be tempted to go to CEM in Bicester.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry - SP is 11 and is a robust, active and very capable skier - he copes with most runs and loves offpiste. He has skis which will last him for this season but his boots are now too small. His helmet developed a big crack last year so I threw it away.

Our next ski trip is to Arabba, there is not a great selection of ski shops there IIRC. I would also prefer to be ready for first lift up on our first morning and not be trawlling around shops. We don't get into the resort until very late the previous evening.

Thanks for the responses so far.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP, I can recommend Filarinskis in Havant for the boot purchase.

I purchased my boots in the USA but had footbeds done there which have been great. Also a few friends have also been impressed with the boot service they offer........it's also a great place for general ski related adivce.

When we've been to S&R Port Solent the knowledge level seems a little lower
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CP, another vote for CEM in Bicester. My new boots fitted by CEM at the recent boot-fitting day are a size and a half smaller than my original ones bought from and fitted by Snow and Rock at Port Solent Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roger C wrote:
CP, I can recommend Filarinskis in Havant for the boot purchase.

I purchased my boots in the USA but had footbeds done there which have been great. Also a few friends have also been impressed with the boot service they offer........it's also a great place for general ski related adivce.

When we've been to S&R Port Solent the knowledge level seems a little lower

I can echo this recommendation. my wife got her boots there - they were great value and the staff seemed to know what they were talking about. I personnally think that S&R is generally overpriced - I go there for "window shopping" only.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ditto on the comments above about Filarinskis in Havant. I got my boots fitted there and visit regularly. I find they are very helpful snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CP, I echo the above - CEM in Bicester www.solutions4feet.com and www.filarinskis.co.uk in Havant for everything else!

Both are a reasonable drive from our area and if you have shopaholics in tow, Havant has Porstmouth Gunwharf Quays nearby and Bicester has it's own designer shopping outlet village on the outskirts of town.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Univeral acclamation for Filarinskis from all of us on the South Coast. Have not used them for boot-fitting but ski purchase and servicing have been excellent.

Goin back to an earlier post - if you are only skiing 1 week or so per year, why are you buying him boots? Next year they should be replaced as he will be at least another size bigger.

I have not bought boots for my boys until their feet have definitely stopped growing. Skis may last a couple of seasons and heads do not grow a great deal at his age. My boys have had their own helmets for several seasons - never hired them as have a bit of a cringe about the state of the head/hair which might have gone in a hired helemt previously - though I guess you could advance the same argument about boots Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick L, We will get about 3 weeks this year. SP has the same feeling about hire boots as we all do about hired helmets. I do not have a financial problem with buying my one and only Son his own ski equipment.

I feel a Filarinskis trip coming on, they used to have a small shop in Salisbury some years ago IIRC.

boredsurfin, The shopaholic will not be in tow - period!!

Thanks to all for your input Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CP,
Quote:

I feel a Filarinskis trip coming on, they used to have a small shop in Salisbury some years ago IIRC.

They did indeed, in New Canal! But for only about 6 months Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy