Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for a returning skier please - Andorra

Poster: A snowHead
Ive spent the last few hours browsing the forums here and you seem to be a helpful bunch and a good font of knowledge so could you give me some advice based on the info below.

After spending about 7 years away from the snow during the latter part of my education and some medical problems I now want to return to this interest regularly. I have had the week of 7th to 14th of Jan booked off work for ages but have been stalling booking anywhere in light of the poor conditions this year. I think I have finally decided on Pas de la Casa (Andorra) as my target resort and unless anyone has a reason to dissuade me I intend to book something today. I still have some equipment but I intend to replace quite a lot of it particularly the jacket, salopettes and to my dismay the boots which I dug out yesterday and found were now a v poor fit. So my questions are:-

Pas de la Casa - Any accomodation to avoid in the gauntlet of last minute deals and where would you reccomend i aim to fly into Barcelona, Toulouse or Girona. Also any specific sites to reccomend for booking.

Equipment - I was thinking I could replenish my gear in Andorra as I expect prices will be significantly cheaper there (correct me if i am wrong as a frantic trip to T K Maxx is still a possibility). Is this an ambitious expectation? I am 6"4 and heavy set and so will need a good well stocked shop I imagine to get appropriate salopettes and a jacket. Are there any or a range of such shops at or near to the resort, and if so is there any which people reccomend?
My greatest shopping concern however is boots is there a good shop and decent fitter at or near the resort so I can reinvest in a pair?

Lift passes - Especially in light of the conditions I assume I am best waiting till i get to the resort to secure these? Also how do the passes work for this resort as I heard there are limited and unlimited varieties.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Killjoy, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Sorry but I can't help with your specific questions on equipment as I've not been to Andorra.

The only thing that I would say is that you will probably have noted on this forum a lot of discussion about snow conditions as they have got off to a pretty slow start this year. That said, this week there is meant to be a big dump in the Alps (with falling temperatures) and conditions should therefore be significantly improved when you are going. From my recollection, Andorra is missing out on this new snow and freezing levels are set to be much higher. With that in mind are you really sure about wanting to go to Pas de la Casa?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow is on the way in many regions, but according to the snow-forecast.com, little in this area , not before next Sunday 7th Jan. Also Metcheck.com reports the same outlook, rain! http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_resorts.asp?country=Andorra. Only artificial snow at present, and more rain this week.

Why risk it, go somewhere else! French resorts above 2000m will have a dump this week, as will Austrian. I dont know how much prior ski experience you have, prior to the lay off. But to go away without any gear (equipment) and expect to buy on arrival, is a little optimistic to say the least. Hope that the clothing you have is still serviceable. Buying in Andora will be cheaper but you may have little choice or time when you arrive. Surely you remember how hectic it can be on arrival day? Apparently there are many shops in the resort and plenty of bars. Not been myself , but do have friend that has been in the past. He got bargains but already had equipment when he went and had snow already there. The Pas de la Casa area links into a bigger area, that does appear tempting. Good link is http://www.grandvalira.com/. I know that they have been pushing this region this year, ski shows etc.

To do things this late, may I suggest a tour operator. If you are attempting a DIY, you may not get last minute flights that cheap, (EasyJet etc) but there are some package bargains out there at this time. Take the basic clothing with you, hire equipment in resort, then buy, if you have time. It it was me, I'd try France or Austria, but high and with a dump due this week!

Good luck!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Killjoy, welcome to Snowheads.
Can't Help on the Pas front as though we've been to Andorra 3 times in 3 years. we've always stayed in Soldeu (so our comments may not be much use)
Soldue is a bit quieter than Pas but is very handy for the lift system
One word of warning is there isn't much snow there at present (though it should be improving shortly.
andorra is cheap as it's a tax heaven, though the selection is limited Confused
Transfer can take ages from 3 hours to 9 depending on which roads are open and where you are flying into
heres out lates report from Jan 2006
Have fun
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/ski2006/index.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Killjoy, Firstly welcome to snowheads.
Lots of shops in Pas all within walking distance(it's not very big)
Lift pass, you can buy from a friendly tour rep, it will cost the same but he/she willl get comission so someone is happy!
As for snow conditions, well I skied Soldeu 19th to 23rd Dec and enjoyed it, it has improved since then although I belive it is all atificial.
Six buses a day from BCN and also several from Toulouse, Pas is on the french side so your choice.
I am Soldeu based so really can't comment on accom in Pas.
BTW if only the highest resorts have snow just imagine the crowds Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dypcdiver wrote:
Killjoy,
well I skied Soldeu 19th to 23rd Dec and enjoyed it, it has improved since then

Not exactly, this week was the coldest and the snow cannons can run at full blast, but after 25 the temperatures rise and the crowds arrive. They are at the edge line, if the forecasts are right and this week the temps rise and stay above, sorry but think that the Alps will be a lot better.

About equipment, the best prices will be in Andorra la Vella, along the principal street (there are, maybe, more than 10 skishops) you can ask at differents. And ALWAYS remember to ask about discount, then it's normally a 10% (I don't know if it works for English people.....but when I was there always ask about it and they answer: Ok, 10% is good??)

Another cheap place (the cheapest at the end of season) is "Comerç Espunyes" in front of "El Tarter" parking.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Killjoy, welcome to snowHead s.

Like rob and sharon, I only know Soldeu well.

I very much agree withBMF_Skier that I would not choose Pas at present. One of the main advantages of late booking is to be able to go where the snow is. There is a nice dump happening in the French Alps at present which should still be excellent for next week. Also at this short notice you should be able to get a really good deal from a TO trying to fill flight seats and accommodation beds.

As regards the clothing, Soldeu's prices were similar to UK for equipment. Being a big person, there should be a decent selection of gear at TK Maxx which will be a lot cheaper and will have the advantage of being immediately available when you arrive in the resort.

Have a great time wherever you go.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with most- Get to France! why risk going Andorra when the snows falling in France, i presume there will be great deals to be had, as the snows been fairly poor recently, and because its so early in the season. Have been to Pas de la casa, about 7 years ago, good resort ( although Ugly) large ski area- recently linked with Soldeau, i think its in the top ten for largest ski area in the world Puzzled Good nightlife, and fairly cheap.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avoid Andorra. It is having its worst season for years.

Get to France or Switzerland. The 3 Valleys, La Plagne and Zermatt look particularly tasty right now.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the good advice. I think I will try to address at least some of my equipment needs in the UK prior to going so I have at least the bare minimum I need to ski and can then just supplement at resort (Hiring boots and then looking at buying at resort sounds like a plan.

With regard to resort I definitely think I will follow your advice and select another location in light of the forecasts. Had a few suggestions here already but based on the following requirements what would you reccomend:-

Ability - I have about 6 weeks experience although as previously stated im returning from a break in skiing which I hope won't have dulled my skills too much. I generally skiied red runs and some black and considered myself to be a good intermediate. Was looking to start the first day on blues to get my legs then return to my preferred runs as the week progressed.

Nightlife - Lively and diverse an important element of any break looking for a lively and diverse bar scene preferably inexpensive too.

Cost - Although Cost is less of an object for me the friend who will be joining me is pretty strapped at this time of year. With it being just 2 of us we will need hotel accomodation I assume which may limit my resort choice? Nightlife and other costs should ideally be on the cheaper side.

Snow - As youve said snow is the limitation at the moment so where would you hit for the 7th -14th with the above considerations in mind.

Again thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Meribel, Courchevel, La Plagne or Les Arcs are probably your best bet.

I believe I saw an advert somewhere from Skialacarte earlier today. They may still have 2 rooms next week in Les Arcs.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Snow - As youve said snow is the limitation at the moment so where would you hit for the 7th -14th with the above considerations in mind.
Anywhere except Andora! Must still be high altitude though.

Try the ifyouski.com web site and just look around. Deals on Val Thorens for this WE £259! Deals like this will go quickly!

Courchevel or 3v's can be expensive to party. Plenty of last minute deals to compensate though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
big dumping in the Alps today snowHead too
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forecast for Andorra predicts a large dump of snow there next week, so it looks like Andorra is just a little delayed behind the Alps
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kosciosco, where did you see that ?
ski holidays
kosciosco, I'm also interested to know the source. I can only see the odd 1cm on a couple of days. That's up to the middle of next week. Puzzled
ski holidays
Killjoy,
Looking at what you want if there is decent snow in Austria you may be better there than the purpose built resorts in France.

The nightlife/barscene is far livelier, the hotels are better and cheaper and the overall cost is less.

If you are looking for France Les 2 Alpes has a reputation for being cheap and lively and has excellent skiing and good snow at the moment. Serre Che is maybe a bit less lively but has excellent sking with good snow at present and is a great area which would meet your skiing requirements.
latest report
hey guys im going to Andorra on the 28th of this month. Would you say that the snow drout could last till then? I would have thought snow would have been gauranteed for Andorra at this time of year.
snow report
dj_colinbell, No where can guarentee snow, at this time of the year, except a select few, you've still got nearly 3 weeks before you leave- I dought the " snow drought " will last until then, dont worry yet wait until the 27th until you start worrying- the week ahead looks warm but who knows, it can all change, the week after might just snow snow snow.... rolling eyes
snow report
Dj, shame were just going to miss each other! I will be in andorra, pas from 21st. I will post cont up on here from there so you will know exactly what its like before u leave if u like. (i have been before, i know of a couple of places with pcs. spent enough time on them last year as i broke my collar bone1)
snow report
Just to address the point about nightlife, Pas is fairly cheap and the nightlfe is very good, but maybe not to everyone's taste. When I worked in Andorra we tended to refer to Pas as Benidorm on ice or Mandorra. Lots of cheesy bars and clubs, full of British lads - (so not much different to France)

Good skiing though - and don't be put off by the abundance of people on this thread who don't appear to have been to Andorra.
ski holidays
Spindrift,
Quote:

Good skiing though - and don't be put off by the abundance of people on this thread who don't appear to have been to Andorra.

You are so right, lots of unfounded anti feeling towards Andorra, it happens all the time.
ski holidays
You're right, Dypcdiver, and I didn't really stress that I had enjoyed Soldeu enough to go there two years in a row. Its ski area is linked with Pas and we skied over a couple of times though it is the valley in the middle of the two resorts which I found was the most pretty and empty.
snow report
Quote:

Andorra.. loved it learnt to ski there.Nice wide pistes and not overly busy. Pal is really nice. Prefered pas to arinsal but only coz there is more to do. Word of warning if you are taking young kids..try not to stay in pas centre as it does get really noisy but just up the hill in the himalaya hotel is good. Ive done the french alps and im looking to go back to andorra next year coz ists just that little bit more funky..and no im not a boarder....i blade!! Cool
ski holidays
Smokin Joe, BMF_Skier, Sorry, Metcheck was showing something but it quickly evaporated! I've looked at some other maps and it now looks like Andorra won't get any snow until the 21st
ski holidays
kosciosco, Did that to me as well, in other resorts! Never mind, it either will or wont improve, sooner or later! Puzzled

On Sunday 14th, I'm leaving fo a week in 3V's, VT on Monday to Wed, La Tania Thur to Sat, finally CV1850 for a week. I think I'll get a full spread of conditions considering the differing altitudes and aspects! yesterday it showed snow from 20th, today nothing and warmer! Need a beer or stronger. Good luck to everyone else, everywhere. Make the most of what you get! I certainly will! After all, it's supposed to be fun!
wink
TTFN
snow report
BMF_Skier, I am SOOOOOOOO jealous. I loved 3Vs and would love to go back
ski holidays
kosciosco wrote:
Smokin Joe, BMF_Skier, Sorry, Metcheck was showing something but it quickly evaporated! I've looked at some other maps and it now looks like Andorra won't get any snow until the 21st

As long as they get the snow on the 21st i will be happy. Snow the day I arrive, someone must have called ahead and booked the snow for me?!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neil, Have just checked the charts again and is still showing something for that week, unfortunately not as much as a few days ago, it now looks like the heavier snowfall will occur around 29/30, but it might all change again as seems to be the norm
snow report
yer sounds about right Sad was getting my hopes up. Just bought the rossingol bandit B2 skis.
Was thinking about trying alittle off piste skiing with them for the first time ever. I guess thats not going to happen now Sad

ohh well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy