Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap Heat

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There's a lot of beautiful underclothing out there for slushNuts and not just the stuff some of you didn't buy for the missus . . . or yourself this Xmas. Nope I'm talking about the technical bump supports (male and female) that keep our own technical necessities warm and toasty while playing in sub-zero conditions. Yes, we have fabrics that need a chemistry PhD to read the label . . . which makes most of us dumber than a Marino sheep, but let's be serious, there are very few of us that are going to ski in conditions that these materials and garments are designed for. So unless your pockets are as deep as Croesus' you're probably looking for alternatives so here are some basics that have been tried and tested.

First, a bit of (very) simple physiology . . . your core temperature is or is very close to 36.8 °C (98.2 °F) and your body will go through remarkable efforts to maintain it, even to the point of virtually closing down circulation to your extremities and in the long term changing your body fat distribution . . but in the short term, like 10 minutes on a chair lift, a cold bum will close down circulation to your fingers and toes making them a dam sight colder than your butt that's protected by a nice layer of fat, your task is maintain an even temperature over your body and that only works if you can maintain a dry atmosphere around your skin. wet clothes form a thermal conduit that will kill or debilitate you in extraordinary short time . . . a matter of minutes. Try digging a small hole in the snow, then sit in it and pack snow around you and measure how long it takes you to get uncomfortably cold. Confused

1: YOUR HEAD is an extraordinary and major heat radiator. . . unless you've hair like mine that you can knit into your own beany . . . carry a hat. If you're feeling hot and sweaty, take it off, but when you're stopped or sitting on a lift put a hat on and retain your core temperature.

2: If you're on the bunny slopes and learning to board or ski, you will be exercising very hard, sweating like a pig and you will need to be wearing clothing that wicks the excess moisture away . . . and that's every layer . . . so quite surprisingly, as a beginner you will need to wear a better quality of clothing . . . but that doesn't mean it has to be at a technical level that only a K2 climber will appreciate.

So . . . First rule . . . cotton and cotton blends will retain moisture and WILL hasten your demise in cold or wet conditions . . . as will some treated wools and synthetic woven fibers. This means you do have to read the labels.

Second rule . . . layering is by far the better option for most of us where we can add or discard a level of warmth retention at will. I made an expensive mistake with a beautiful Rosignol down and technical fibre jacket that if a bit longer I could have slept the night through on an open mountain . . . but was useless for general use as it was uncomfortably hot on normal use. Cost me 350, sold on eBay for 25 Sad So whatever you do buy as an outer waterproof layer it does need to breath out and not be warm enough on its own account.

Third rule . . . sweat . . . is actually sterile . . . but very nutritious to some bacteria and fungi so it's best to try to make the environment where it's most collective as unfriendly as possible for it. Where it can't be removed by the mechanical wicking process you need to use a product that kills bacteria rather than just masks an odour, try something like http://www.bionsen.com/main_bionsen.html to close the cycle of re-population of playful bio-flora without shutting down your pores and screwing up your body's heat control system even more.

So . . . for the tightwads amongst us who balk at even the sale discounts at Patagonia, S&R, M&S et al . . .

Layer 1: Micro Modal, A synthetic fibre made from wood cellulose that is very skin friendly and does wick in nearly all weaves and is ideal as next to skin underwear. Light, easily washed and dries very quickly. available through the majority of big retailers in a number of styles . . . slightly more expensive than 'standard' pants and T's but not by much. It's also available in sports bras varieties mixed with 'Elastane'

Layer 2: Micro Fleece, I've tried Patagonia and Tog 24 varieties and I've got to say that the only thing they have over a £6 Matelan Thermal MF is style. One trick, if you buy the Matelan MF pants, cut the legs off just under the knees, they don't fray and don't fight with your socks in your boots.

Layer 3: Whatever tickles your style and pocket

Layer 4: That it's waterproof, windproof and breathable comes before how 'stylin' you think it is

Socks: I'm a sucker for Tchibo's thin ski socks at £4 a pair . . . I've noted that the same company makes Hein Gericke gear

Gloves: I've hot hands so I wear fleece gloves (with a spare pair in the pack) and overmitts (again Hein Gericke)

Hope this helps those of a shallower pocket and I invite all other sHs who'd rather spend their money on time on the mountain than kit to look good in to contribute wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layer 1 - Decathlon base layers, either long or short sleeve. Under £9 & perform superbly, certainly equal to the Patagonia & Helly Hanson base layers I have. If they're not in the skiing section check-out the running section.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque, Good post Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great post - should be a sticky, except we end up with so many stickies.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque,
Quote:

Great post - should be a sticky, except we end up with so many stickies.....

Totally agree.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have an Eider microfleec by Polartec and a Peter Storm which is heavier to the touch. In the same combinations I wear the Eider is far better than the Peter Storm in terms of warmth and wicking. I can't really explain why, they are both plastic....!!!! Hence I'll buy Polartec Microfleeces for baselayers as I know they work for me and I've binned the Peter Storm.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT, Ok, I was tempted by a peter storm in the sale in millets(Hexham) earlier. Wont bother now Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, well that's your sensible and useful post over for 2007, so what now for the rest of the year? Laughing wink

Good post, though I agree with JT that better kit usually works better at the job in hand.

Better to look at walking/climbing/cycling gear too, works as well as "ski" gear but at about 75% of the price.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc gledhill, If you're going to biatch-slap me, take the rings off wink

Yup, the real expensive stuff, does work very well, but I want this thread to illustrate that there are good alternatives like winter cycling gloves, Summer motor-cycling gear . . . doesn't have the bulk of Winter gear and is designed to wick sweat and still be wind and waterproof.

What I want to say is that it's possible to be warm, comfortable and safe on the mountain without spending the better part of a 'K' on clothing. We all have good experiences and we should share them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy