Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to get to Ski School

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am a 1st time skier and would like to know if the resort is that you ski in/out to your apartment (staying in Avoriaz) , how do you get to the ski school? Do you wear the ski boots and carry the ski's?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tigger99, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . Correct - wear the boots and carry the skis. You'll find it quite a challenge to walk in the boots at first, especially on any ice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads tigger99! snowHead

I hope you enjoy your first ski trip - when are you going?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, In february half term, going to be busy but my 2 kids are too old to be taken out in term time
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads tigger99 snowHead

Ski in/ski out apartments are set up so that you can ski in and out, not that you have to do so.

Often the apartment block or chalet will have a front door leading onto the street and a back door, usually from a ski-locker room in the basement, leading directly onto the piste.

On your first day, you would tend to make your way down to the ski school meeting place via the road - possibly on foot or by ski bus if there is one. Yes, people will usually walk in their ski boots rather than carry them as they're pretty heavy to carry. Although it's been known for people to blag a spot in the corner of the ski school office or ski-hire shop to leave their ski-boots over night and their normal shoes during the day, as ski-boots do inevitably make u walk funny.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey welcome tigger 99.

I am taking a mate and my two children that week as well we are not that far away in Morzine.

My first time skiing was from ski in/ski out had 3 x 1 hour dry slope sessions before going to the resort and ski'd direct to ski school. If you are having dry slope lesons here ( or in snow dome) check out where the ski schoo;l starts from day before and you may just beable to push your self down the gentle slope(normal) to the school.

Good luck

May see you on the slope Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tigger99 wrote:
I am a 1st time skier and would like to know if the resort is that you ski in/out to your apartment (staying in Avoriaz) , how do you get to the ski school? Do you wear the ski boots and carry the ski's?

You may find the ski-hire shop isn't too far from the nursery slopes and has a boot room or 'garage'. This allows you to leave all your hire gear, after sorting it out on arrival, until you need it on your first morning. You can then leave your walking shoes while your out ski-ing and swap over at the end of the day and walk back to your hotel in your walking shoes.

Once your up and about on ski's after a few days your then ski-ing in/out of your hotel.

Don't worry about a thing, simply ask your holiday rep/hotel rep/ski hire shop what to do - they'll all want to help.

Have a great holiday and let us all know your experiences when you come back Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The ski-in ski-out varies a bit, but if it is on a green slope, then after a few days in ski school, you should be able to ski in/out anyway. Of course some of them aren't on green slopes, and need a bit more confidence. Whatever, there is usually an alternative way to the ski school, and some chalets or hotels also organise a bus to the ski school meeting point, if you don't want to carry all the stuff up a hill.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info everyone. The brochures, and the net all state that there all lockers in the basements of the apartments.

Bigtoe - In Guernsey, we don't have any dry slopes, crumbs we only have snow about once every 4 or 5 years and thats about an inch!! Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tigger99

The ski school meeting point in Avoriaz is generally on the "plateau" at the upper end of the village, so just a bit of a walk uphill on your first day. I would think from day two onwards you'll be able to go up on the button or chair lifts that run up through the village.

Good choice of resort I think: we took a beginner along last year and he really enjoyed it. Where are you staying in the village?

Ant
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Ant

We are staying in the Les Balcons du Soleil apartments, which seem to be quite near the top of the village. (and near the edge of the cliff if the map is anything to go by!)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The ski school meeting point in Avoriaz is generally on the "plateau" at the upper end of the village, so just a bit of a walk uphill on your first day.

Be aware that it takes three times as long as you think to get yourself from apartment to ski school and five times as long if you have kids. It can be slippy in ski boots, you won't want to be hurrying. So allow more time than you think you will possibly need to avoid a panic. Your tour operator will fill you in on getting ski passes - preferably the night before. There's lots of things you can easily forget (I walked out without my pass this morning, luckily my husband reminded me,or I'd have been at the bottom of a slope without it). By the way "ski in/ski out" is sometimes a slight exaggeration. It's a good idea to be in ski school at half term; priority on the lifts. Have a great holiday. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy