Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

driving tips to vaujany

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi everyone ,were going from a trip on the 18 of this month to vaujany for 4 days ,dont ask me why its there ,it looks like a nice resort ,but your expert feedbck would be great ,i know quit a few of you regulary drive ,its my ist time to ski france ,we all ski at a good level ,so here are my question :
were getting the 18.30 euro shuttle from dover .on the wednesay ,i want to get a full day sking in on thurs ,how far do you think its possible to get down driving at a steady 85 ,?
will i need chains or shall i buy at the service station en route ?
if i book a fomula one ,where the best place .?
and what time do you think we need to set of to get skiing on the first day ,from the f1 ?
or shall we drive and pull over get some sleep in the van .?
thanks in advance
gary
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ozwhit, that's some of the weirdest punctuation I've ever seen.

North coast to Oisans takes 10 - 12 hours. You could get chains in the Espace Comboire shopping centre in Grenoble on your way past, but I imagine things will be closed at 05:00, so a better bet might be the garages in Bourg d'Oisans.

If you aim to ski all day on Thursday, there doesn't seem much point in wasting your money on an f1, since you can't afford to snooze for more than a couple of hours. Sleeping in the van, on the other hand, will be bloody freezing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gary, sound like plan! A full days ski-ing on the Thursday...?

From experience on long journeys and sat nav - Calais to Vajunay,Approx - 570 Miles - 8 Hrs, on raw data. But if you expect that, you may be dissapointed. I'd say allow at least 10 hours for fuel, tolls and rest stops. Ive done many long european trips with others and the 2 ski trips were on my own. Driver rest was a real consideration. Your questions:-

Quote:
were getting the 18.30 euro shuttle from dover on the wednesay, i want to get a full day sking in on thurs ,how far do you think its possible to get down driving at a steady 85 ?
Please dont under estimate such a long journey. Also DNF the hour time difference, so you'll be over there at 20:00 hrs (8:00pm).
How far you go depends on driver rest and time, I did 400 miles last year, that was too long.(but I had already driven from Manchester!) I'd plan to get well past Dijon and leave a few hundred to go. At 400 miles you wont be in any accomodation before 1:00am though. Last year I had freezing fog, ice on roads between Saint Quentin and Troyes, very dangerous. I had 4 hours sleep stop and a shower at a F1 in Chalon sur Saone, that made a real difference. I was on my my way at 5:00 am. and was in Orelle before 8:00 am. Just in time for breakfast. I already had skis and a lift pass so I was ready to go. The last part of the trip can be the longest, you're hitting the mountains, and you wont be getting 85mph! I was real fortunate, no hold ups on the last leg. If you're going with others, the biggest difficulty may be getting them to agree with such a schedule. If you want to be in any condition to ski, you'll need some rest!

Quote:
will i need chains or shall i buy at the service station en route ?
On a 'pit stop' journey, you may spend too much time hunting down chains. You'll will be travelling through the night. I dont know the hill conditions there, but if you think you will need them, IMHO, buy before you go. Do you want to spend time finding them, or do you want to ski?

Quote:
if i book a fomula one ,where the best place? and what time do you think we need to set of to get skiing on the first day ,from the f1 ? or shall we drive and pull over get some sleep in the van?
All the F1's are about the same, budget but do the job. I've done the sleep in the car on many a journey. but in a van , in winter? I did that two years ago and was frozen! Where ever you stay, leave as early as pssible.

IMHO:
Plenty of rest on travelling day.
Multiple drivers, DNF insurance.
Cash or CC for tolls and fuel.
Bank debit cards dont work only CC cards, and sometimes only one of the main brands!
Dont attempt to race, the French police will take great pleasure in relieving you of your cash for the fines.
Be prepared for serious weather in the drive, freezing fog, ice and snow should be expected.
Get the other passengers 'on board' with the need to be on time, no wandering off. You dont want a rebellion on the trip!
Good maps or preferably sat nav.

Good luck, and update us with how you go on. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard wrote:
You could get chains in the Espace Comboire shopping centre in Grenoble on your way past, but I imagine things will be closed at 05:00, so a better bet might be the garages in Bourg d'Oisans.

The earliest supermarkets open is 8.30am so no chance of chains at l'Espace Comboire at that time, otherwise the Leclerc is a good bet for that kind of gubbins. For Vaujany you don't go through Bourg d'Oisans and the only open garages will be on the toll roads. You will find chains at these but they are quite pricey (as is everything including petrol).

You are really unlikely to need chains for Vaujany, it is just the last little road from the reservoir that would be a problem if there is snow. I would take a view on the weather the day before and make a decision about chains.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ozwhit, We just returned from Vaujany and drove there and back, remember the clock goes forward an hour so if your tunnel is 18.30 you wont't be in calais till 20.10. We had an early morning crossing and drove to Grenoble and stayed in the Novotel overnight then it took about an hour into Vaujany the next morning. Calais to Grenoble was 8.5 hours with short fuel stops only. Vaujany to Calais took 9.5 hours again with brief stops, but the traffic was busier on a Saturday coming back than the Friday going.
Definately get snow chains before you go. if you drive all night surely you'll be too tired to ski all the next day? Think you'll be wasting money on a hotel as you won't get time to sleep in it! Share the driving and take it in turns to sleep! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

For Vaujany you don't go through Bourg d'Oisans

You don't say - really? It's not exactly much of a deviation though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just seen an alternate route recommendation in another posting in The Piste called Driving to the Alps - a couple of time saver tips

It uses the A39 via Bourg-en-Bresse, then the A42 (L'autoroute Blanche) that would also make a diffence. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all of your replies everyone,lots of good advice there.Sorry about the punctuation lizzard,must have been one to many over christmas! Ill let you know how the trip goes ,thanks again gary
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy