Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF Vallandry - My Experience

Poster: A snowHead
Had mixed feelings about putting our 4-year old daughter into ESF lessons over the last week, mainly due to mixed reports have seen elsewhere about ESF. However, was no other option as New Generation had no spaces and Darentasia only start from age 6.

When we took her to the first lesson, they decided that she should be in the complete beginners group as they refused to recognise the lessons she has been having at Xscape and previously in Vallandry. Despite the fact she can snowplough and turn!

For 3 days she was stuck on the small/flat bunny slopes with 30 other kids! On the 4th day we took her out of lessons and took her skiing ourselves, which she loved. As we challenged her a bit she also progressed a lot - anyone with kids will tell you that they only learn anything when challenged.

The next day, out of interest, I asked whether they would be taking the class up the mountain - possibly I was told, but not Sarah as she missed the previous day rolling eyes

In short - I thought they were sh*t and I will not be using them again EVER.

Darantasia we used for our twin boys and thought they were great - highly recommended. Have previously used New Generation and also would recommend.

ESF may be better for older children who can ski, but there whole set up seemed hopelessly disorganised and was really not impressed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boris, I've never tried the group lessons for my kids.

Both my girls ( 8 and 5 ) learned last year in ADH with a ESF instructor but we booked 1 1/2 hour private lessons for them over the lunch break snowHead

I'm not rich , this cost the same as a whole day in ski school but they progresed quicker and i got to ski with them the rest of the day.

Oh i suppose i got to free ski while they got there lesson Embarassed

Having seen how hard it is to look after 20 kids I was more than happy with the ESF private lessons and since it didn't cost any more than the group I will be doing the same again in two weeks time snow permitting ( please please please snow ) Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's rough Boris, I've no experience ( yet ) of putting the Timberpups in ski school. I hope your Daughter hasn't been put off.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Curtains, Expect 1-1 would have been fine and with hindsight wish we'd done this.

Timberwolf, No she loved it, took her out several times myself and she was bombing down the blues after the 3rd time!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When mine were 4 the ESF Arc 1800 seemed very reluctant to take them up the mountain and unencouraging about their prospects of being taken up the mountain later in the week, despite a previous week in Arc 1800 the year before and about 25 private dry slope lessons over 2 seasons. I pinpointed the ESF instructor I thought would be most influential and booked a private lesson with her for the kids that same afternoon on the first day. She was forced to take them up the mountain and recognise that they could ski blue runs without difficulty. Next morning, wonder of wonders, they'd been promoted to the going up the mountain group.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 31-12-06 20:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
No she loved it

Good news snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TBH, I think the schools see so many useless, baby-ish and unfit english kids that there will always be an assumption that they can't do what the parents say. Not saying it's right, but I think it's the case. I would also be reluctant to take more than one or two small kids (under 6/7) up the mountain, as they often try to ski off. Shocked Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
I would also be reluctant to take more than one or two small kids (under 6/7) up the mountain, as they often try to ski off. Shocked Confused

Good point. Which is why when they were 3, we only let them up the mountain with ourselves in charge (3 adults shepherding 3 kids).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slikedges, good move - one adult for each direction taken! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, Problem is that kids of this age often know best. We have managed to lose 4 of 6 kids when they were descending a lone and empty piste, adult at the front and adult at the back rolling eyes To try and teach with a large group of young kids is virtually impossible IMHO
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski wrote:
TBH, I think the schools see so many useless, baby-ish and unfit english kids that there will always be an assumption that they can't do what the parents say. Not saying it's right, but I think it's the case. I would also be reluctant to take more than one or two small kids (under 6/7) up the mountain, as they often try to ski off. Shocked Confused

I suspect there is an element of this everywhere. Last time I was at the Snowdome, just before Christmas, there was what looked like a grandfather taking a granddaughter skiing. Somebody had obviously over-estimated her ability, maybe because she'd done a bit of skiing before, and said she was recreational standard (linked snowplough turns). She wasn't. She was struggling, and stopping and falling over in the middle of the piste on virtually every turn she tried to make. Eventually an instructor insisted she was taken off the slope until she had more lessons. As it happens, my 2 hours was up, so I went into the changing room at the same time as her. She was crying and her Mum, who wasn't skiing with her, was complaining. I thought the decision was quite correct - she was in danger because she wasn't the required standard.

If parents or kids over-estimate their ability, that can be dangerous too, and I suspect a lot of people have done this in the past, which is why the ski schools are cautious. But then having huge groups means they can't spot the ones who are really better than the group in which they are placed, and there is little opportunity for this to happen if they are given very basic exercises on almost flat slopes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, yer not too keen on teaching nippers then wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris, thanks for that. Makes me glad we forked out the extra dosh (oops wrong thread) to put ours in New Gen for half term next.

The tightwad adults are all using ESF though. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've often been 'given' a tot by a ski school to take up on the chairlift...and they can't even get on and off them unassisted. Then they sit on the chair in such a way that they could easily slip under the bar .... Scares me sh**** but you don't want to be holding a strange kid either..!!! So having a class of 6-8 must be pretty stressful, I'd imagine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, you're meant to tell them to get their bums to the back of the chair y'know. wink
ski holidays
marc gledhill wrote:
Boris,
The tightwad adults are all using ESF though. Twisted Evil

.. so that is why you still need lessons Shocked wink
snow report
Agenterre, I'm hurt, no really. Laughing

I'll be having a private with one of the New Gen lot wink
latest report
marc gledhill, No beginners under the age of 8, and the parents have to give me carte blanche to beat their child senseless! rolling eyes No, seriously I don't go much for the very small, OTOH the kids that ski with me all seem to think I'm "way cool", in fact 2 weeks ago I was apparently described as "awsome" by a snowheadlet. Shocked Shocked Cool the trouble is, being Cool usually involves having to do jumps which I don't like much, bumps and skiing backwards (which is OK but not my thing). Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
easiski, Now things are in full swing and you have a few weeks under you belt, how is the ankle holding up?
snow report
JT, If you're given a tot (& I'm told you can refuse to take responsibility) the best thing to do is lie your poles across your & their laps so they cant fall off. A friend & I were once given a tiny little guy to look after who could reach the bar with his arms raised, so spent the duration of the lift hanging on to the bar & looking under it Skullie . Then there was nobody to help him off at the top - the instructor being too busy chatting up the guy at the top. So I got off & my friend stayed on with him while the chair went round & came to an emergency stop! One way to get attention!
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Not too bad so long as I don't walk in my ski boots!

geri, the scary thing is that when they sit as we do with the edge of the chair behind their knees they look as though they're about to fall out! They're safer than they seem, but it's still way scary.. Shock
snow conditions
geri, at that size, you can just pick them up and stand them on their skis.

I don't mind helping the little ones on and off lifts; just treat them as your own - pick 'em up and plonk 'em into seat, make them sit back and pick 'em up and plonk them back on their skis at the top.

I just presumed this was what the instructors wanted me to do.
snow report
marc gledhill, yes. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
marc gledhill, you'll be fine with New Gen

We had a ridiculous situation over Xmas waiting to get on lift at Vallandry, there was about 10 over protective English adults all desperate to get on the chair, with their child. As a result the line was going nowhere as there were no other adults to take the kids on with!!! Still it meant I queue jumped them all, grabbbed the first kid and was off.

The only lift I don't like in Vallandry is the little lift which serves the bowl at the top of the Vallandry chair (2300 its called I think) - this has no foot rest and my kids always looked like they were about to slide under - the poles across them technique is very useful
latest report
marc gledhill, I'm sure I've read on Epic that (in the US) if you take responsibility for a child on a lift then you really do take responsibility. I wonder what the situation would be if the child did fall off the seat?
I've assisted a few but I do wonder...
snow report
lbt, At least in europe all lifts have safety bars, and you are obliged to put them down! I just find it beggars belief that they have chairlifts int he US WITHOUT safety bars.. Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
easiski, yes I am constantly amazed at that, given their ability to sue for anything
snow report
marc gledhill,

Marc, thank you for your advice on this, I have been biting my nails & stressing about this for about 2 months - our eldest was quite big, first time she went on a chair, but the youngest (4) is extremely confident & I have been worrying about her & the lift. She is pretty obedient when necessary though.

The one complaint I have about the ESF is that they teach the kids to go off on the little trails by the piste, I'm sure it gives them confidence & is a distraction, but it scares the cr@p out of you when they suddenly shoot off & appear in the trees about 50 metres away. Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rpft, Believe me, it scares you even more when they don't re-appear
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, thats the worry isn't it? I'm going to get one of those retractable dog leads for my 4 yr old - trouble is, she'd probably love it, "do it again mummy"
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, have you actually lost one on one of these trails?
ski holidays
rpft, have a look here. it is a report from a holiday we had last year. No ski school involved. Adult at front, adult at rear, six kids in-between, luckily the 4 that got lost belonged to the adults involved. Scared the bejeesuz out of us all.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Thanks for this - at the 'after 25 minutes' bit I was on the edge of my seat Shocked
snow report
Although this is a chilling tale - it ended well & is accompanied by a great guide for parents. Is there a place for informative posts?
snow report
rpft, not on snowHeads wink
snow conditions
marc gledhill, did I mean threads?! Smile
latest report
rpft, Very kind words. Thank you. Very Happy
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Good list - one of ours took to not waiting this holiday and got a right earful. Is my major panic that when I take the twins out I will lose one of them!

This year I put our phone numbers on a bit of card and zipped it into their pockets with lift pass with the instructions to find a lift man/woman at any lift and to hand the numbers over if lost
latest report
I've lost count of the number of times that I've travelled on a chair with my hand clenched in the back of a kids jacket and once thought that the off ramp was so iced over, rutted and busy that I carried the wriggling ankle biter off with me, missed the crowd, fell over with the squirming animal and got the laces on a boot severed . . . little sod was laughing his head off . . . as were his mates rolling eyes
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I thought megamum might benefit from it & pm'd it to her, hope thats ok & doesn't scare her Laughing

have just scared myself silly reading a thread on epic about kids falling off chairlifts Shocked think I am going to go with the Marc gledhill advice, bum to the back of the chair

Masque, great jim-jam link, has easiski replied to you on this wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy