Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lets play a game..

Poster: A snowHead
Lets take one average guy, we'll say 30, never skiied in his life.

Average build, average fitness, average height, average weight.

Average everything.

Let's put him on a resort..

Start to finish.

Dot to dot.

How long would it take to turn him into an instructor?

SORRY! WRONG THREAD - CAN A MOD MOVE IT PLEASE?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
professorpool, 8 pints should do it!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've put it in "bend ze knees" ...but I still don't know the answer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
100 days or chris' answer, whichever comes first.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
professorpool, I'm not sure there is any answer, theoretically and assuming he wasn't after a profesional qualification probably 8-10 weeks, assuming he found he could ski/snowboard (there are some people who just can't Shocked ) note that there is a hell of a lot of difference between an instructor and a good instructor.

Allow say 4-8 weeks of fairly intensive skiing to get from beginner to competant skier then a further 2 weeks of basic instructor training plus a good 2 weeks of general fitness training to build up the stamina for those 3 to 4 hour lessons with no breaks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bloody hell. By now I ought to be 2 instructors rather than just an interminable intermediate.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, he's had more than 16 pints.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
first day on snow was december 28th (glencoe) 1992, passed alpine ski instructors course(ASI) beginning of march 1993 (nevis range).
graeme
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
professorpool, It depends on whether he wants to be a fully qualified instructor or just have some sort of mickey-mouse badge. Fastest first level I've ever known was Brian Bruce. Started one season having never skied and passed Grade 3 at the end of it. However - he was a pro figure skater and later pro ice hockey player, so that obviously helped hugely. Also - 30 is very old to start.

Basically, starting at 30 it's going to take a long time. fastest POSSIBLE to Grade 1 is 4 years, and you would really have to be at least a Grade 2 level skier before you start to do it that quickly. Most people take 6 years at least, and that's with being able to ski before you start.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It was a rhetorical question for entertainment only.

I'm quite a bit past 30 personally speaking and make my ££ in other ways!

I was idly curious is all!

Much less time than I thought actually..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf, Serious underestimate there IMO.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you were happy with BASI, you can do it in 13 weeks...

http://www.rookieacademy.com/nz_ski_course_1.html

Base Camp also do 4 week and 11 week courses. CSIA/BASI

http://www.basecampgroup.com/da/33315
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I gave a theoretical minimum amount of time based on someone picking up skiing really quickly and being good at it plus having the ability to pass on that info, in reality I think it would be a heck of a lot longer for almost anyone, however if they wanted a professional qualification say at a level that would be recognised arround the world then I'd say add at least 10 more weeks to my estimate
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got my 'mickey-mouse' after skiing for seven weeks (first two with instructor plus a couple of half day group lessons later on). The course was my eighth week (although I'm a bit younger than 30...)

It might be mickey-mouse, but if I wanted to instruct in Canada I could. As easiski says though, much (much) higher entry standards to instruct in Europe so it would naturally take longer.

Wear The Fox Hat, surely we should add a few weeks to each of those courses as you need to be an intermediate in the first place to use them?
ski holidays
skisimon, actually not all over Europe, one of our fellow snowHeads got a place in Wengen this year, ok he's a fairly good skier already (I've seen him ski) but I've no idea how many weeks skiing he had under his belt before being accepted by the Swiss Ski School as an instructor but he only had a week to 14 days course with them before they let him start on the beginers.

The point is that he was a good skier (not a great skier) any good skier could have done the same and I reckon that a person could get from total beginer to good skier after 4 weeks of regular daily skiing, if they had the talent for it, some people will never get to that stage no matter how much they try because they don't have some undefined natural ability, others might even get there a little sooner. However this is just to a point of being able to earn money in one location as a ski instructor, that was what the question asked for, not how long to make him a good or internationally recognised instructor wink
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Only the first level which isn't really worth much except in Scotland and on artificial. Sad for them, but true.

skisimon, this is true - starting from being able to ski is one thing and from nothing is entirely another. However you could teach beginner children in Canada only if I remember your previous posts??
snow report
D G Orf, okay, my hands are up! You caught me... Laughing I fell into the snowHeads trap of Europe = France Embarassed

easiski, as I understand it, if you are an instructor and only have the L1 and your in a major resort, you are virtually kids only. But at small resorts (Grouse Mountain outside Vancouver for example), you could work with children and adults, and even up to intermediate level. Presumably this is due to instructor numbers and I suppose quality instructors will gravitate towards the better and larger resorts because they can.
ski holidays
I got my Wengen Anworter (sp?) in about 1973 or whenever - village test you have to do. We had to do about 1/2 day (I was a Grade 3 then)! didn't qualify us to teach as far away as Murren though!!! When I think back to my lack of experience back then, I'm appalled that I was allowed out with a class at all! rolling eyes
snow report
I do wonder what specific qualications, say a local village girl/boy, needs to have to be employed by that local village school. That they have been skiing since the age of 3 and been skiing all their life is a given...but what about formal qualifications? For example, all the ESF that I have seen, ski like a dream, but what about small Swiss or Austrian villages, for example?

If you are non-local or a foreigner, then I'd expect them to insist you are qualified and then some, but how lenient would they be to their own..?
snow conditions
easiski, you know it's just possible that you might have taught me in Wengen, I don't think so, but it is possible Shocked Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
professorpool wrote:
Lets take one average guy, we'll say 30, never skiied in his life.

Average build, average fitness, average height, average weight.

Average everything.

Let's put him on a resort..

Start to finish.

Dot to dot.

How long would it take to turn him into an instructor?

SORRY! WRONG THREAD - CAN A MOD MOVE IT PLEASE?

Somewhere between 1000 to 1500 hrs of total slope time seems like a reasonable estimate, to reach a low or mid standard of certification.
ski holidays
Whitegold,
Quote:

Somewhere between 1000 to 1500 hrs of total slope time seems like a reasonable estimate

Can you let us know how you came to these numbers ?
latest report
If one of those English SKi Council certificates I had would count Confused about 3 weeks - 2 weeks to learn to ski and one week of learning to teach.
ski holidays
Laughing
snow conditions
ski wrote:
Whitegold,
Quote:

Somewhere between 1000 to 1500 hrs of total slope time seems like a reasonable estimate

Can you let us know how you came to these numbers ?

Roughly 20 to 40 6-day weeks, skiing for 6 to 7 hrs per day.
latest report
D G Orf, Shocked I can tell you than when working there I wore a blue two piece suit with a short top and had the WSS badge sewn onto my left sleeve (if that's any help).
ski holidays
easiski, if I had you for lessons you wouldn't have been a regular teacher, in 73 I'd have probably been in class 2 I think or at best class 3 (unlikely), I can only remember 3 of my teachers, Mathilde Fuchs (Still lives in Wengen) Ruth (never knew her surname but was always smoking) and later on (class 6) Heinz Kammer (who is now an architect in Wengen), on rare ocasions I was also taught by Charlotte Gertsh.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="D G Orf"]easiski, ....I was also taught by Charlotte Gertsh.[/quote]

I love her new single! Lovely voice. Laughing
snow conditions
Red Leon,

LOL Laughing

IMT
ski holidays
Red Leon, Oh dear Laughing
snow conditions
Red Leon, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
easiski, if I had you for lessons you wouldn't have been a regular teacher, in 73 I'd have probably been in class 2 I think or at best class 3 (unlikely), I can only remember 3 of my teachers, Mathilde Fuchs (Still lives in Wengen) Ruth (never knew her surname but was always smoking) and later on (class 6) Heinz Kammer (who is now an architect in Wengen), on rare ocasions I was also taught by Charlotte Gertsh.

Well it deffo wasn't me - although I've been called Rebecca a number of times in my life - never Ruth! I only wish my surname was Gertsch!! Blush Blush
latest report
Whitegold,

Quote:

Roughly 20 to 40 6-day weeks, skiing for 6 to 7 hrs per day

So 3-4 seasons ? That seems a lot ?
ski holidays
easiski, I knew you weren't Ruth, as I said I had a number of other teachers but those were the ones I remembered because I'd had them for more than 1 week, God alone knows how I spelt Gertsch wrongly Charlotte would be horrified I only had a Christmas card from her and Fritz 2 weeks ago Embarassed
snow report
ski wrote:
Whitegold,

Quote:

Roughly 20 to 40 6-day weeks, skiing for 6 to 7 hrs per day

So 3-4 seasons ? That seems a lot ?

Ski, at a guess, no. But he's basing it on someone just doing 1 week at a time.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, that sounds a lot even for a one week at a time skier.
latest report
A guide I had in Chamonix once (a Brit), said he's started skiing in his early 20s when he realised he wanted something to do when climbing eased off a bit during the winter and found it was easier to ski to and from his ice-climbs than snowshoe (or something like that, I may be getting two very similar conversations conflated). Started learning fairly intensively and got his BASI 3 by the end of that season, then went for next grades in subsequent seasons (not sure whether he went for his 1 or not) before doing the UIAGM. He was clearly a pretty good and stylish skier (and guides, particularly British ones - normally being mountaineers first and skiers second - are often more utilitarian and effective than efficient and graceful).

Also IIRC, pollittcl only started skiing a couple of years ago, but was hitting it every weekend, and got her PSIA 1 by the end of her first season (or right at the beginning of the next).

OK, these are both examples of fairly basic qualifications, but clearly that can be done from scratch in a season. My concern with doing something too quickly would be that while the technical stuff may be in there, there's very little mountain experience picked up - which is just time and miles under the boots.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy