Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl-Hochgurgl 2006-7

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a week there. Excellent snow conditions considering the weather over the last few weeks. Obergurgl hard and fast, Hochgurl a bit fluffier. Stones showing through in places and not really any off piste with the exception of the bump run to the skiers right of the top of Wurmkogel.

Only had some cloud for two hours yesterday morning. The coldest it got was -5c, unbelievable weather for December. Shocked They were making most evenings and conditions were better than I had hoped for.

Only downer is that my boots are still in Innsbruck and I need them to come with me to La Clusaz on Thursday! Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tis the season for ski equipment to be in different places than their owners Shocked

Hope that you get them back very soon, Steve... and enjoy your next trip snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Steve I was also in Obergurgl over Christmas and agree with all your comments, I just wish I had hired skis rather than ripping the bases of mine to shreds over on the Kirchenkhar T bar runs! But all in all the snow held up very well I thought the run down to Untergurgl was the best it has been for years, the snowmaking was first class. I had a day down in Solden and the conditions down there were similar but it was very crowded up on the glacier. We have been to Obergurgl at Xmas for the past 10 years and though this year was the thinest covering I have seen the brilliant blue skies and mild conditions still made for a great week. By the way drop me a PM with your mailing address I will send you some of our globalbagtags so you can keep tabs on your boots!

Chris
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is a happy New Year! My beautiful boots turned up at 7pm last night, both looking well, but a little hungover from their extended stay in Innsbruck. All I need now is for the rain in La Clusaz to turn to snow and I'll be able to take them rather than my running shoes!

Chris, I've dropped you a PM, thanks for your very kind offer. Happy New Year and hope to see you in Obergurgl next Christmas.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Guys - good news re conditions. Going to book for next Christmas in Obergurgl - never skied at Chrimbo before, need to get away from it all here! Waiting for BA flights to come out to suss whether cheaper to book hotel independently or do package with Crystal. Transfers seem extotionate though. Any tips appreciated!
(Went to Obergurgl in June many years ago pre skiing days, now I know the true purpose of chairlifts!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Helen,

We tend to book direct with the hotel then hire a car at Innsbruck, it costs around £80-£100 for a weeks car hire and it may seem a bit of a waste having it stuck there in the hotel car park all week but it has a couple of advantages, firstly you can get straight out of the airport and up to the resort (we skied from 11:30am on Sat) without having to wait for every man and his dog to get their luggage, secondly it works out cheaper than transfers, thirdly you can easily nip down to Solden for the day in the car and lastly you can set off back for your return flight when you want, not 4 hours before like some of the tour operators like. The other good advantage of booking independently is you do not have to pay for your hotel until you check out, with tour operators you have to fork out at least 8 weeks up front. You won't save a great deal of money booking with evrything seperately but I think the flexibility it gives is worth it. Let me know if you want any Hotel tips.

Chris
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
globalbagtag.com, thanks a lot - bit woosy about the snow chains thing but sure hubby could manage!
Looking at the Hochfirst - stayed there about 8 years ago and it was lovely. Pricey, but hey, its Christmas. Would also be good to have a pool for the kids, and not have to cook the damn turkey myself! Which hotels would you recommend?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
helenjane, we stayed in the Hochfirst some years ago. It was fine. Nowadays, we would probably choose either the Edelweiss or the Bergwelt.

The Edelweiss is great if you want to roll out of the hotel directly onto the lifts. Now they have renovated and extended the ski room the facilities are really good. There is also a hire shop right next door.

The Bergwelt is on top of the hill and in our view a rather better hotel. It does have some disadvantages tho'. One is that if you hire skis you somehow have to get them to the hotel, which generally means carrying them. Taking them back is not as difficult. Another is that you have to ski down a short, easy stretch of snow each morning to reach the lifts and ski school meeting place. When you make your last descent into the village at the end of the afternoon, there is a track which takes you round the back and you can ski back almost to the hotel. The Bergwelt also offers and afternoon buffet.

Both have pools, but I really would recommend the Edelweiss for families to avoid all that carrying of ski gear.

It's not that difficult to book direct. We have done this with the Bergwelt, but not with the Edelweiss. I think the flights to Innsbruck are better now, but we flew into Zurich, took the train to Zurich central station and then the Vienna train as far as Oetztal Bahnhof. You then change to the bus for the trip up the valley and when we arrived at the bus station the car from the Bergwelt was waiting to whisk us up the hill. As I remember there was quite a long wait in Zurich, but everything else went well. The Edelweiss is only a few metres from the bus station.

You can do Innsbruck to Obergurgl by train and bus, or alternatively the hotels will organise a taxi if you ask.

Obergurgl is a great place to go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
globalbagtag.com wrote:
Hi Steve I was also in Obergurgl over Christmas and agree with all your comments, I just wish I had hired skis rather than ripping the bases of mine to shreds over on the Kirchenkhar T bar runs! But all in all the snow held up very well I thought the run down to Untergurgl was the best it has been for years, the snowmaking was first class. I had a day down in Solden and the conditions down there were similar but it was very crowded up on the glacier. We have been to Obergurgl at Xmas for the past 10 years and though this year was the thinest covering I have seen the brilliant blue skies and mild conditions still made for a great week. By the way drop me a PM with your mailing address I will send you some of our globalbagtags so you can keep tabs on your boots!

Chris

the glacier area tends to get crowded when snow isn't great especially later in the week. I found the skiing on the Gaislachkogl to be pretty good and far less crowded.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen,

We have always stayed at the Edelwiess, great location, great spa/pool area however this year it did seem to be lacking something, the food was good but not excellent, the pool was also also full of screaming kids most of the time. The guests mix used to be about 60% Brits 40% but now is more like 90% Brits and without trying to offend anyone here can we say some of the Brits are a little on pretentious side! The Josel has just had a total rebuild and now has a fantastic new bar area and spa(but no pool) the rooms are very trendy and it is good value at the moment. I would try and stay at one of the lower hotels in the village if you can because of the reasons mentioned previously.

Chris
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
globalbagtag.com, would you go back to the Edelweiss? (I promise I would keep my screaming kids under control, they're 11 and 14 and if we're taking them skiing for Xmas they damn well better had behave!) Shame about the amount of Brits - I like to feel like I'm abroad on holiday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
helenjane, the last time we were at the Edelweiss (about 2 years ago) we thought the food had improved significantly over previous years. It will be disappointing if it has returned to the previous levels (which were not bad, just not exciting). While there have been quite a number of youngsters when we have been there, including our own, we haven't found them too noisy. I would agree, though, that most of the guests are Brits and if you want to mix more with visitors from other countries then perhaps the Hochfirst would be better. That is partly why we like the Bergwelt.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy