Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No smoking?

Poster: A snowHead
Will any European resorts follow the example of Black Mountain Maine? Or would it result in a drastic drop in the number of snowboarder visitors Wink

Maine Ski Resort to Ban Smoking in Winter
Quote:
A Maine ski resort banned smoking and other tobacco use beginning this winter, and other ski areas owned by the same non-profit will look into such bans.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Banning smoking is fine by me, but let's hope that they don't follow the example of banning nouns from their sentences.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe it's not a bad idea in certain circumstances- there is almost always one moment on a ski holiday in France when a French smoker tries to light up in a gondola or covered char and is stunned when you tell him to put it out. Here in Stavanger a law was passed in June which banned smoking in public places (yep, that includes pubs!). So far it has been pretty successful, no one seems to be complaining too much and it's much nicer to visit a restaurant now! I do wonder what it will be like in winter though.. Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As a U.S. citizen I just don't understand other than to say we are a culture of right v. wrong, good v. evil -- little room for middle ground. I don't smoke (quit years ago) and I think most of us can agree we'd all be better off if no one used tobacco products of anykind. But I just think this is ludicrous. We know that fetal alchol syndrome is a real phenomenon, evidence would suggest that even one episode of heavy drinking in the first trimester can cause problems, but I'm not aware of any evidence that moderate drinking is problematic -- but a pregnant woman having a glass of wine with dinner would, at minimum, be chastised severely. We're nuts, no defense. I've enjoyed my limited visits to Europe very much -- but on some things, your all nuts too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure about banning smokes on the slopes (although people who leave fag ends - that's nother matter! - You brought it in, you take it out is the rule) but it would be great to know i could go out for apres ski every night and only have to take enough clothes to cover my own incompetence with drinks, replacing those whihch are soiled when I spill my pint, rather than a new set per evening becuase they *stink* after an hour in the pub

---> 2p
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bonfire, In many places in Switzerland and Austria smoking's not allowed on any lift, covered or otherwise, I'm sure I've see signs in France this season but I can't place where. One of the concerns is clearly the amount of cigarette butts under the lifts obviously.

nbt, you need to go to a higher class of establishment at night. The places I go there's just the aroma of my hand rolled Cuban cigars and brandy not Marlboro’s and vomit Very Happy

Joking apart, I went to the local rock festival last week (to see Massive Attack who were sensational), that’s open air and we came back with the clothes smelling of cigarette smoke Very Happy I was staggered how many younger people seemed to have suddenly started smoking.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
....and a great way to discourage people from taking up smoking, wasting their money, and dying of the horror of lung cancer....

....would be to ban it in public spaces, and not put non-smokers throught the dangers of passive smoking.

People take up smoking because of stress in their lives, which is something that needs to be remedied too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RISkier, I know it's off topic, but it amazes me how many young pregnant girls I've encountered who give up alcohol completely the moment they know they are pregnant, but continue smoking full term!! Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paul Holland, It may be off topic but I'd be interested in how you know so many young pregnant girls ? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise wrote:
Paul Holland, It may be off topic but I'd be interested in how you know so many young pregnant girls ? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Paul Holland, Thats because theyre skanky slappers, who get pregnant because " I waaaant sumwhaan ta laarve me like all th' time"
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ise, Small village life Wink None of my doing I may add...

Nadenoodlee, Too true. Don't forget 'Cuz I wont sumware to liv 4 free 2'
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee, Laughing ...................or a council house a life of benefits Puzzled Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps you daily mail readers out there wouldn't mind returning to the topic, or perhaps we could talk about illegal immigrants?

Anyway, back to smoking, smoking in public places is not a matter of individual freeedom, as passive smoking harms others. I am a smoker myself, however I cannot see one decent argument not to ban smoking in all public places.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, what a bizarre but stunningly insightful outlook! Very Happy
latest report
bonfire wrote:
Maybe it's not a bad idea in certain circumstances- there is almost always one moment on a ski holiday in France when a French smoker tries to light up in a gondola or covered char and is stunned when you tell him to put it out.

Pretty rare occurence these days though, in my experience. I've been trying to remember the last time it happened to me, and can't recall a single occasion over the last couple of seasons of someone smoking in the same gondola as me.
snow report
I can thing of two good reasons:

one, it's hard if not possible to make a reasonable definition of public places.

two, it's far from clear to me that the effect of passive smoking in "public places" is the major health risk in "public places", compared to exhaust fumes etc etc

I also think it marks a further step down the route where acceptable behavior is something solely defined by legislation, opinion will vary but I don't see that as a good thing.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 26-08-04 10:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ise, Kramer, fag end pollution arguments aside, no smoking on piste does seem a little extreme. Technically it is a 'public place', but one's health is hardly under threat (although ise's cigars are another matter Wink Wink )

Surely the definition of areas where smoking should not be allowed should depend on whether or not they are enclosed?
snow conditions
The quality of my cigars is a function of the effect of Swiss opening hours Very Happy When I can't get to the real cigar shop I end with "Del Boy" specials from the local garage with a blend of the finest Sumatran and Brazilian tobacco rolled in the thighs of the village idiot.
ski holidays
I'm one of these annoying people who only smoke when I've had a few beers (usually someone elses as well Wink ), so a ban in pubs etc.. would be good for my health as well as others as I would probably stop smoking altogether.

It will always come down the some kind of civil liberties argument however. Couldn't you argue that no-one should drive cars on any but essential journeys because you pose a risk to other road users?!?
ski holidays
ise wrote:
bonfire, In many places in Switzerland and Austria smoking's not allowed on any lift, covered or otherwise, I'm sure I've see signs in France this season but I can't place where. One of the concerns is clearly the amount of cigarette butts under the lifts obviously.

I can see the sense of that. And of course, in closed lifts - gondolas and trains - there is the fire risk. Other than that, I'm for consideration and tolerance. I am a non-smoker, BTW.
snow report
I went to Dublin post smoke ban, and the pubs didnt smell like pubs!

Kramer, and I dont read the Daily Mail, I read the Sun and the Daily Record as I like laughing at Scummy Skanky people such as those mentionned above, so there NehNeh
ski holidays
I can't see the french going for a smoking ban in bars.
They ignore my "espace non-fumeur" in the bar anyway.
If I ask them to move to a smoking area because there is a family sat in the non-smokling area (who don't want the kids breathing in fag smoke) they normally look at me like I've just asked to marry all their mothers......
ski holidays
flying_squirrel, it'll happen eventually, but it's a while off as you say. Good on you for trying the ban. As for restaurants, I was really p....d off the other day when a Scandinavian lit up his sickly sweet-smelling pipe after his meal right next to us just as we were on our entrée..... the whole place reeked in seconds. He really didn't appreciate my politely asking him to put his bonfire out. Tough.
ski holidays
PG, to be honest, I've up - the no smoking sign is pure wall decoration nowadays! And I smoke like a chimney anyway, so its hard enough to have a no-smoking-behind-the-bar rule...
latest report
I don't think its fair on smokers to ban smoking everywhere so they have to do cold turkey, but equally its not fair on non-smokers to have to breathe in second-hand smoke.

The smoking ban in Ireland is definitely encouraging people to cut down (or stop completely), and I guess is deterring young people from starting, and is considered to be a success by the vast majority of the population (including smokers)

Most pubs do have an outdoor (but covered) facility for people who do smoke. And it has encouraged more pubs to serve better quality food, as it is now quite pleasant to eat in bars (and not be over come with smoke!)

I think the same could work well in a ski resort. i.e. designated smoking areas (usually outdoor covered facility), but no smoking indoors or on ski lifts.
snow conditions
The ban in BC, Canada seem to be working ok in Whistler from what i see. Most of the bars provide a covered patio or similar for people to go out for a smoke, and it is very nice to spend the evening in a non-smoky environment.
latest report
A bit far back in the thread, but can anyone work out what RISkier's rant is truly about. And what is troubling him about all our nuts (eats, shoots, and leaves).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cymru am Byth, yes I was pretty confused, but concurred on the general conclusion which seemed to be that we're all nuts, give or take an apostrophe.
snow report
Quote:

one, it's hard if not possible to make a reasonable definition of public places.

two, it's far from clear to me that the effect of passive smoking in "public places" is the major health risk in "public places", compared to exhaust fumes etc etc

1- they seem to have managed ok in Ireland, New York, Canada etc

2- The link between passive smoking and smoking related diseases is extremely well proven, the only confounding evidence being from studies funded (directly or indirectly) by the tobacco companies.

The civil liberties argument is not valid for many reasons, firstly you do not "choose" to smoke, it is an addiction, secondly, by smoking you cause harm to yourself and others, something that isn't a right in any civilised society. The "nanny state" argument is one that is often bought up by smokers groups (I wonder where their funding comes from...) to distract from the fact that smoking, both active and passive, is a public health issue, and therefore needs to be addressed by public health measures.

Just as an aside, if you've ever seen the piles of cigarette butts underneath the chairlifts in the spring thaw it certainly gives you something to think about.
ski holidays
Quote:

firstly you do not "choose" to smoke

how do you become addicted?........because you chose to smoke in the first place!! rolling eyes

Quote:

Just as an aside, if you've ever seen the piles of cigarette butts underneath the chairlifts in the spring thaw it certainly gives you something to think about.

I'm not sure it may have been a SCGB forum thread but this topic was talked about in some depth. I seem to remember that cigarrette butts take years to bio-degade. There was someone (PG, DGorf???) mentioned a while ago about the rubbish found on the slopes after the thaw, and other items that are collected - food, cameras, poles, snowboards (snowboarders Wink ) etc. They mentioned that there is normally a clear up at the end of each season by locals in return for various freebies???
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Quote:

1- they seem to have managed ok in Ireland, New York, Canada etc

I think they defined it as 'enclosed workplaces' in Ireland.
Seem a good way to cover most situations.
snow conditions
Dan, wasn't me but I do remember the topic coming up before
snow conditions
Kramer, have they managed well in those places? I think it may be too early to say, certainly for Ireland. Even if they have, how well do you expect the current UK government to manage? Badly drafted legislation seems to be about the norm now.

It just strikes me that some definitions of public places includes those where smoking doesn't seem to be the only hazard, I'm just curious how many more of those hazards would be addressed. Or how many other aspects of anti-social behavior.

You can argue for the right to do most anything providing it places no obligation on others or you accept an obligation, in this case, the right to smoke to clearly bounded by the obligation not share your smoke with others. It's depressing if we need laws to tell us this, or I find it is anyway.

The context of skiing was mentioned, it's a good example, the mountain's a public place and I can't see why someone can't smoke if they want while outdoors. I'd prefer it if they didn't while I'm queuing for the lift though, likewise for bus stops etc. So by having a weak definition of public places you'd either ban smoking all over the mountain or appear to sanction smoking in the lift queue.

I'm just very uncomfortable with using laws to replace social responsibility, it's lacking enough and my opinion's more laws like that make it worse still. We ought to reasonably expect people to have some respect for others without passing a new law every ten minutes.

What really, really worries me is that basically anything that’s not illegal will be perceived as being acceptable and we’re way too far down that route already. If as a society we’ve no way of making our values clear without making laws then, alarming though it is, Maggie was right and there’s no such thing as society.

If we're saying it's wrong to smoke in public places like bus stops, train stations, lift queues, shopping centers, car parks, elevators (I particularly hate that) etc then, I agree, it is.

What next? Laws against sneezing in case you're carrying this year’s killer disease? How about spitting? I'd like to see that banned Very Happy
ski holidays
Fortunately, spitting is not socially acceptable where I come from.
I understood that in Japan, if you are suffering from a cold etc., you're expected to wear a surgical mask in public places. Good idea!!!!
Smoking should be confined to areas that does not bring smokers into contact with non smokers. That puts the onus on the smoker to avoid non smokers in public places, including mountains. Will this mean fag ends to go with the yellow snow just off the piste?
ski holidays
Where I usually end up face planting Laughing
latest report
Quote:

using laws to replace social responsibility

Sociologically the two are indistinguishable, the rule of law is a formalised extension of social responsibility within a civilisation.

Quote:

how do you become addicted?........because you chose to smoke in the first place!!

Not necessarily, there is no such thing as choice, as there is no such thing as free will. Free will, and therefore freedom of choice are an illusion generated by our sub-conscious mind to allow consciousness to exist. This has been proven experimentally by both neurologists and philosophers.

If you have no choice about starting smoking in the first place (which you don't) then surely it's not so bad to have no choice about giving up?
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Sociologically the two are indistinguishable, the rule of law is a formalised extension of social responsibility within a civilisation.

Puzzled Well that definition certainly helps me to distinguish between the two...
ski holidays
Confused Pedant Alert!
Kramer wrote:

...This has been proven experimentally by ..... philosophers...

Isn't this a bit of a contradiction? I think philosophers are those who arrive at their conclusions by disciplined, logical thought, rather than empirically. If so, it follows that they cannot arrive at their results experimatally. Just pondering Smile

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 26-08-04 15:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Kramer, I think that last comment could justify a whole thread of its own!
Pre-determination vs free will, consciousness etc is in no way a done-deal scientifically...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy