Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Austria by Train

Poster: A snowHead
OK ... here is one for you experienced euro travellers ....

How do I get to Zell am See by train from South Wales - least changes and the possibility to sleep in a decent comparment along the way must be an option?

Boyo
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crikey, there's a challenge boyo!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Easy... South Wales to Paddington... Paddington to Waterloo on the tube. 5.40pm Eurostar to Paris. This connects to German sleeper train to Munich - arrives 9ish next day. You'll need a couple more trains from there - overall around 6 or 7 changes. A shade under 24 hours I reckon.

German Railways www.bahn.de
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boyo, , Bode Swiller, has given you a good outline, Getting to Insbruck is your best bet, as the main line runs from there to Zell am See town centre.

Is there a reason for wanting to travel by train? Flying would be far cheaper, and quicker, or are you trying to do your bit for global warming! snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you get there slightly earlier (I think) if you get a german sleeper from koln to munich and then go from there. But it means instead of going to Paris and then getting a sleeper you take the eurostar to brussels and then get an ICE from Brussels to Cologne. Depends on how important 2 hours on a saturday morning is to you.

The Bahn.co.uk (english version of deutschbahn website) is a good source.

However on these sorts of trips, it's sometimes easier to sit down with a nice Thomas Cook timetable so that you can check the maps out and pick a route which is different to the standard one given by the timetabling search engines. Don't forget to change into your Parka first tho.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From Munich try heading towards Salzburg. I think you can get a direct connection to ZAS from there. It maybe a little further but probably less changes. However, Austrian efficency may make up for that!!! wink

Kersh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boyo, once you've got yourself to Munich the journey takes about 3H20 to Zell. One change in Schwarzach-St.Veit (?). My father did the journey from London via Eurostar and sleeper Paris-Munich a couple of days ago. The sleeper is just a couchette, so you have to share with other people, but generally OK.
Have fun
Mike
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you must travel from Wales to Austria by land, then going by sleepercoach may be easier than the choochoo.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All - Thanks for the info I don't have an anorak! Very Happy I'm researching an article on getting to ski destinations without using the train. I have driven to Zell/Kaprun a few times but I need an alternative. When I've worked out the cost etc. I'll let you all know Mike - any idwa how much it cost your father?

I'll also check out sleepercoach.

Boyo
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok price so far is £779 for 5 people - I'm missing the cost and details for Paris to Munich - gonna take almost 2 days! Slepercoach as listed on the other posting is not an option.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm researching an article on getting to ski destinations without using the train.

without using the train?

Do u mean without using the plane?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Duh ... without using the plane .... Embarassed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boyo, It's 25 euros return Salzburg to Zell am See.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This site might be helpful.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boyo wrote:
Ok price so far is £779 for 5 people - I'm missing the cost and details for Paris to Munich - gonna take almost 2 days! Slepercoach as listed on the other posting is not an option.

Eurolines will take you by bus from Cardiff to Vienna in 23 - 26 hrs for roughly £80 - 100.

Vienna to Salzburg is about 3 hrs by train and costs around £30 - 50.

Salburg to Zell am See via train takes 1 - 2 hrs and is priced between £15 - 40.

That is a rough one-way total journey time of 30 - 40 hrs. The total cost is perhaps £120 - 200 return per person.

Barely seems worth it, unless one is planning to stay for 2-plus weeks.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone - there's a possibility that the info might appear on this site somewhere as a guide for new skiiers. If you have anymore stuff please post it.

Diolch!

Boyo
snow report
boyo, people have forgotten that the journey itself should be exciting, interesting, fun and part of the holiday itself. Modern airline practices and faux security measures have turned this into a crappy, uncomfortable bus ride at 30,000ft. with the occasional opportunity for a full 'cavity' search and not knowing where the Fox your luggage is at.

Time to re-evaluate our priorities, a extra few hours on the hill or arriving fresh, relaxed and ready for fun or needing 12 hours sleep and a chiropractor before hitting the hire shop?
ski holidays
Masque, quite agree, but the problem is that for a family, train travel is usually significantly more expensive than air travel. Still, I fancy the train to Kitzbuhel; 2 extra days on the slurpes, no transfers and a sleeper train. Might do it in 2008.
snow report
What are the details of the train ti Kitbuhel?
snow conditions
There is another option... London-Paris, Paris-Zurich, Zurich to Salzburg (panoramic train... also stops in Innsbruck from where I'm told there's a direct to ZaS). boyo, you can do the homework on timings / prices. This would be a much more scenic adventure.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, yep there's a direct train to ZaS from Innsbruck.
snow report
OK, I now think I've cracked it... Eurostar to Brussels... then, UNBERBLEEDINLIEVERABLY, there's a DIRECT to Zell am See... boyo, you need to visit www.seat61.com/Austria.htm

I rest my case.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
OK, I now think I've cracked it... Eurostar to Brussels... then, UNBERBLEEDINLIEVERABLY, there's a DIRECT to Zell am See... boyo, you need to visit www.seat61.com/Austria.htm

I rest my case.

Nice piece of research.

Looks like Wales to ZaS would be a 25 to 30 hr one-way journey.

A quick glance says the total cost might be a surprisingly competitve £120 - 150 return.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 30-12-06 23:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
boyo wrote:
What are the details of the train ti Kitbuhel?

Here.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:

I rest my case.

Bode Swiller, snowHead snowHead snowHead I couldn't beleive when I clicked on that link and it said "How to travel by train from London to Austria" Toofy Grin I thought it was a wind up at first!!!
ski holidays
Kersh, should make it easier to pimp yer chalet to nervous flyers Laughing . The Belgian train to Austria sounds like a somewhat tarted up version of the Calais-Bourg St Maurice friday night hell on wheels. I'm tempted to give it a whirl in March.
latest report
There always used to be a sleeper down from Amsterdam which went to Innsbruck/Vienna so I would think Brussels or Lille might be the pick up point. Getting to Paris might be an option but you'll have to gateway through Basel which will put you on the main line to Innsbruck. On scheduled trains, I 'd guess at two changes in Euroland, Brussels/Lille and Innsbruck.

Thomas Cook used to do a European train timetable. And very good it was too.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
Kersh, should make it easier to pimp yer chalet to nervous flyers Laughing .

I like your style Bode!!! snowHead snowHead I think i´ll do that!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow .... been away .... damn work there's plenty to write up, thanks for all the info.

Boyo
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy